DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic.... Meet Wall!

jsolts

Reactions
hi there,

took the mavic out today to fly inside a warehouse to flim the building upgrades.

Took off in Atti Mode (inside warehouse so gps would be almost non existant.

I set the mavic into tripod mode and was flying fine then it all the sudden ramped speed and slammed into the wall, into another wall and down to the ground.

Thank god i had prop guards on, it helped minimize the damage, and by some lucky miracle it seems the gimbal escaped with no damage.

What im thinking may have happened was the mavic all the sudden got a gps signal and tried to correct its course.

But why would it leave tripod mode automatically.

Can someone with way more knowledge than me have a look at the log and let me know what the hell happened.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-05_[09-33-18].txt
    465.7 KB · Views: 12
There are many compass errors in your log, and your radio signal quality was quite poor for a good duration of the flight. You were mostly flying in P-GPS mode. You probably already figured this out, but the MP is very poorly suited for flying indoors.

my mavic air behaved properly most of the time but it slammed into a wall on three occasions where I had no control at all. It was repaired and once again did the same thing. I calibrated the RC and end of problem. I have no idea why it flew well at a distance but up close just had a mind of it's own. When I downloaded the new firmware seems to be when the problem started but I'm not sure because the drone was brand new to me for only a couple of flights until I downloaded the firmware. I had never calibrated the R/C...I know ..my bad
but I did spent a long time with online support and that was never mentioned. That's why I mention it here.

There are many compass errors in your log, and your radio signal quality was quite poor for a good duration of the flight. You were mostly flying in P-GPS mode. You probably already figured this out, but the MP is very poorly suited for flying indoors.

I knew the GPS would be poor inside the building, so i made sure to stay away from the walls and posts and go slow. Then she ramped up out of nowhere and smash!

I find it odd that the radio signal was poor. I was directly behind the mavic no more than 30' away.

Is there any ways to lock the mavic in atti mode?

I had planned on using the mavic frequently on buildings that we renovate and dont want to repeat this.

But why would it leave tripod mode automatically.
It did not.

But tripod mode is only about the max speed a full stick deflection will command, nothing more. When bad data from GPS or/and the vision system suddenly makes the aircraft think it's moving at a speed that doesn't match what it's asked to do by the sticks it'll try to correct that by going the opposite way. Aka even if you have the stick at 0 and isn't supposed to move at all when it thinks it's going forward at [speed] in some direction due to bad signals it'll start to shoot at [speed] in the opposite direction.

The Mavic cannot be officially locked to atti mode, hence why it's generally not a valid choice for indoor stuff.
In practice it actually can but you'll have to dig into the hacks that people have figured out.

I had never calibrated the R/C...I know ..my bad
RC calibration is normally not needed and it's highly unlikely that actually was the issue. Just a coincidence. If RC calibration was bad it would ALWAYS have behaved incorrectly, not just occasionally.

Last edited:
...would WiFi have helped here?
Or maybe make things worse if you're crowded out by rogue signals near/in around the building?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky