DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini 2 near railway in UK

Defender110

Reactions
Hi All

This is my 1st post and thought I would start by asking a question that has been puzzling me.

According to Network rail you can't come within 50 metres of the line( its the law they say but I can't find it referenced anywhere)

According to the new Drone code describing practically unrestricted flying that the mavic mini allows, it states

Small drones and model aircraft: below 250g, C0 or C1 class​

You can fly small drones and model aircraft that are lighter than 250g, or C0 or C1 class, in residential, recreational, commercial and industrial areas.

and

Industrial areas include:

• factories
  • docks
  • rail and transport hubs

There seems to be a disconnect here between what Network rail think and what CAA think

Anyone got any ideas on the subject or better still the definitive answer to: Can I fly my drone closer than 50 metres next to rail line or fly over it ?

Reactions: Chetk7677
welcome to the forum
with regards to flying over railway tracks ,if there are moving trains you should not fly over the tracks while the train is going past ,the same as a road with moving traffic on it ,the new rules have probably not filtered down to the ranks of trackside workers yet ,even though its possible to fly a MM or Mini 2 in industrial areas, it does not mean that you should just go ahead, you still need to consider the risks that your flight could have ,one other thing to remember is if your drone came down on railway property then you would be hard pressed to get it back without trespassing, and of course there is nothing to stop any land owner, from taking you to civil court if they wanted to

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Everyone try’s to bluff you, make sure you comply with the legislation and stay safe.
Regards

Reactions: Chetk7677
Hi All

This is my 1st post and thought I would start by asking a question that has been puzzling me.

According to Network rail you can't come within 50 metres of the line( its the law they say but I can't find it referenced anywhere)

According to the new Drone code describing practically unrestricted flying that the mavic mini allows, it states

Small drones and model aircraft: below 250g, C0 or C1 class​

You can fly small drones and model aircraft that are lighter than 250g, or C0 or C1 class, in residential, recreational, commercial and industrial areas.

and

Industrial areas include:

• factories
  • docks
  • rail and transport hubs

There seems to be a disconnect here between what Network rail think and what CAA think

Anyone got any ideas on the subject or better still the definitive answer to: Can I fly my drone closer than 50 metres next to rail line or fly over it ?

While the UK CAA regulate airspace, it is not just the CAA who you need to comply with as a drone pilot. Network rail have their own regulations, as do many local council under byelaws which determine what you can and cannot do in certain areas, generally determined by Health and Safety or Privacy considerations. A Mini2 may be under 250g so allows you to fly closer to people etc under CAA rules but other laws still apply. You cannot fly within 50m of Network Rail lines, if you need to do so then contact them and determined by the risk of the flight they may authorise you to do so.

The railway don't own the land 50m each side of the tracks , so how can they dictate what does and doesn't come within that distance. They couldn't tell a farmer not to plough his field with his tractor if it were 20 meters away ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure