DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 or wait for the 3?

Not really - I would never buy an iPhone 3 months before the launch of a new model - would rather wait for the new one or a cheaper current model.
I would wait for the 3, then wait until the review's come out and read all of those...then wait until its been out a little longer and you'll be able to read all the complaints about the drone and by that time you'll figure that you might as well wait for the 4 ;)

While you're wondering about the possibility of getting the next great thing, you're losing out on the ability to have the current great thing.

The Mini 3 is too far away (if it comes out at all) to worry about waiting.

More like guessing based on no factors.
The Mini 2 has only been out just over 6 months.
The history of DJI releases only shows that there is no pattern to them.
Nothing at all is known about whether there will be a Mini 3 or when it might show up.
You may as well consult an astrologer or some tea leaves.
I did. The tea leaves say August. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Itzmyobsession
Not sure how a sub 250g Mini 3 will be able to offer a better camera than the Mini 2 already has. Better cameras add weight, and the Mini 2 is already nearly maxed out at 237g. Only viable option would be to reduce flight time by lightening the battery, like they do in China to keep it under 200g. Besides, even the sub 250g drones in the U.S. now require proof of completion of TRUST, the Recreational UAS Safety Test, upon request of any LEO, so you are still going to be required to produce ID and your Certificate. Might as well register with the FAA as a recreational drone pilot and get a much better camera drone like the Air 2S, which is already available!

Last edited:
It's called technology. Not everyone lives in the USA. Even though I don't (I live in South Africa), I did the Trust test for fun and passed with a certificate. Might be useful in case I pop over to the USA to have tea with you with my new mini 3 with 8k ? .

I purchased the MM1 when it first came out and was very happy with what it was capable of.
When the mini 2 came out, I jumped on purchasing it as the improvements over the 1 were so great I had to have it. Sure, it meant I had 2 drones but I've managed to sell my MM1 for a good price. If the mini 3 were to come out next week I'd seriously look at what improvements over the 2 if any (I'm certain there will be som) and determine whether or not I purchase. I'm very happy at present with the mini 2.

Always the Mini 2SE that is coming to Walmart. Maybe even Costco with a decent price.

I see no reason to upgrade from a Mini to Mini??? unless some great new features show up.

Best to move up to the Air2 /2S for the exact reason mentioned. OA, 48MP camera, 4k video, and more. Sure, it is 2-3 times the price, but my Air2 makes my Mini look like a Parrot Nothing that costs maybe $50.

I have kept my Mini for 1 reason. To take overseas / out of country and be able to fly without all the restrictions that CE and others have like here in the US. Otherwise, why keep it when I have the Air2 and all the awesome features and great flying it does.
It’s a Mini SE, not a Mini2 SE

Not sure how a sub 250g Mini 3 will be able to offer a better camera than the Mini 2 already has. Better cameras add weight, and the Mini 2 is already nearly maxed out at 237g. Only viable option would be to reduce flight time by lightening the battery, like they do in China to keep it under 200g.
Tech is always advancing so it may be possible to have batteries with the same capacity with a lighter weight. In the US at least, the only difference between a <250g drone and one above (not counting large commercial drones) is the $5 registration fee.

I know that this may not be popular with some but they could make the registration of a >250g drone mandatory at the time of purchase in the US. At least that would put new flyers (and many experienced rec flyers) on notice that there are some rules that need to be followed.

The Mini SE as I read it, is not going to show up in Walmart or the states, unless something has changed.

Get what you can afford, and don't worry about whether there is another one around the corner, because you may never hear about it or the rumors could be way off. iPhones on the other hand, Apple has a track record of September or October of releasing new iPhones, its been like clockwork almost for 10 years, so in about 2 months an iPhone 13 will show for pre-order.

Tech is always advancing so it may be possible to have batteries with the same capacity with a lighter weight.
Indeed, but lighter, more efficient batteries would universally be available to all drones simultaneously, and not just be limited to a Mini 3. We aren't quite there yet, and certainly not this year. Improvements in battery technology like that are out of DJI's hands. That's not their forte. Cameras, gimbals, and getting everything into a smaller package, with consumer friendly features, is their forte. However, it looks like Hubsan claims to have achieved getting a better camera into a sub 250g drone, so we shall see. However, those wanting better camera performance than the Mini 2 already have plenty of better options in the DJI line, sacrificing only the now marginalized sub 250g benefits in the U.S.

FWIW, if I was on the hunt for a new drone, and I was strongly expecting a Mini 3 soon, I'd wait and buy a cheaper (brand new) Mini 2 as soon as it comes out.

But I'm awaiting the SDK for Litchi, so we're all different.

What I’ve done in the past is buy what’s available now, then as soon as the new one is announced (or even a “save the date” notice), jump on the preorder and list my current drone right away.

I’ve always been successful in getting a decent price that way. Not everybody is watching daily for OsitaLV posts like some of us are ;-)

Z

Reactions: f13dfx
Don't wait for anything... get the present technology and enjoy it... Technology tends to change so why miss the chance of getting the one which is current... Law of Drone says to fly in line of sight and Mavic Mini / Mini 2 both are able to do so... If not a professional movie maker than camera also not matters, either it is 2.7k or 4k or 8k... all fulfill same purpose i.e. Capture what is today to see tomorrow as a good memory.... So don't wait to miss Today.... Enjoy!!!

Reactions: frankbonatelli
Have had my Mini for a year - had some fun with it and am tempted by the 2, RAW and the controller are the key things.

But, at some point soon, a 3 will be released, and dont want to get a 2, for a 3 to be launched three months later which makes me regret the purchase. The only thing that would do that would be a better camera, like 24mp or something.

Is that likely or will the 3 be likely to be 12mp still?
If you’re right and and they do release. Mini 3, then I really hope they manage to rectify the wonky horizon issue ?

To me, the only reason to consider the mini 3 is that DJI stop making batteries very quickly after a drone is discontinued. That was my problem with the Mavic AIR. If the Mini 3 will have the same batteries as the Mini 2 then I don't see a major reason to upgrade. But we'll see the final configuration.

I'm waiting for the 3.
I'm in no rush to buy a mini right now anyways, and with the 3 being relatively close (I think so anyways) it doesn't make sense for me to buy something now for a better model to be released for around the same price in a short while. I'd do the same with my iPhone too.

While I appreciate the 'if you need one now then buy and enjoy one now' comments - I don't need one right now, so am happy to wait.

Reactions: DroneToJoy
Not sure how a sub 250g Mini 3 will be able to offer a better camera than the Mini 2 already has. Better cameras add weight, and the Mini 2 is already nearly maxed out at 237g. Only viable option would be to reduce flight time by lightening the battery, like they do in China to keep it under 200g. Besides, even the sub 250g drones in the U.S. now require proof of completion of TRUST, the Recreational UAS Safety Test, upon request of any LEO, so you are still going to be required to produce ID and your Certificate. Might as well register with the FAA as a recreational drone pilot and get a much better camera drone like the Air 2S, which is already available!
The TRUST test itself is all done online and takes about 30 minutes so it's not too bad.

Tech is always advancing so it may be possible to have batteries with the same capacity with a lighter weight. In the US at least, the only difference between a <250g drone and one above (not counting large commercial drones) is the $5 registration fee.

I know that this may not be popular with some but they could make the registration of a >250g drone mandatory at the time of purchase in the US. At least that would put new flyers (and many experienced rec flyers) on notice that there are some rules that need to be followed.
But sometimes tech also regresses. The iPhone 12 Pro is a little bigger than the iPhone 11 Pro because Apple wanted to add a bit more to it making it heavier and also bigger.

Have had my Mini for a year - had some fun with it and am tempted by the 2, RAW and the controller are the key things.

But, at some point soon, a 3 will be released, and dont want to get a 2, for a 3 to be launched three months later which makes me regret the purchase. The only thing that would do that would be a better camera, like 24mp or something.

Is that likely or will the 3 be likely to be 12mp still?
Do you get the 3, or wait for the 4? There’s always an upgrade coming. Why wait? Just jump in and have a blast. My two cents….

The TRUST test itself is all done online and takes about 30 minutes so it's not too bad.
It's not the test itself or the registration. It's the requirement to present proof of passing and/or having registered to any LEO upon demand that gives them probable cause to investigate, usable for many other purposes that may not necessarily be in your best interest. It can be used to intimidate and harass anyone seen flying a drone, no matter how legally. Certainly will ruin your mission!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18