DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2: Really Worth the Investment?

Mavic pro and mavic mini owner here.
Im waiting very much reviews in this. Remember the hype on MM too and what comes. In Finland i have very. poor range on MM but thats not all. Theres a one video where guy shows some MM2 video footage im not impressed yet and i know theres a ocusync, but i remember MA had range issues too. Lets see. Now i have to wait and see and not going to buy it so quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crashdummytest
When I say "investment" is not only related to activities to make money. I spend more time with my kids flying this machines and having fun. Also, when I need to relax, I take my toys and feel so good just admiring the drone point of view from above. That, my friend, is priceless.
I get what you're coming from. I often go fly with my almost 3 year old grandson who already knows most the steps in setting up a drone getting ready to fly. I'm sure he'll be flying on his own by the time he's 5. I walk in the door and he might immediately say "We go fly copter in the park Grandpa?" Yeah, priceless.

Reactions: DanMan32
Stewart Carroll of Drone Film Guide did a 'should you upgrade' video that you might find worth watching:

He said he found the Mini 2 noticeably more stable than the Mini in windy conditions, although still less stable than heavier aircraft.

I'm tempted to upgrade my Mini, because I have shots I want to take that are only legal with a sub-250g aircraft, but I'll wait until weather warms in the spring before buying because the Mini and Canadian winters don't mix well.

I have a MM for a long time now. During this pandemic, has been my companion when I take my wife to her medical appointments because only one person can enter. The waiting time is MM fly time for me! I don't think the MM2 will make better my experience because for more power uses, I take my M2P or the Autel Evo 2 Pro. Well, I guess is ok as a first drone...That's my 2 cents...

if you have evo and M2P and use MM to fly while waiting for your wife, don't get MM2, it is pointless.

You keep forgetting many areas of the world can not get anything >250 gr without getting into a hell of expensive bureaucracy ; also a lot of people are not interested flying all the time above deserts and meadows .Flying in highly regulated urban environments , the minimal footprint (size and noise) are of paramount importance.

I sold my MM and bought the mini2 , it is a fantastic upgrade.
If I would not have the weight limitation I would go for the MA2 or be on the lookout for the upcoming pro3
But then again all the urban related things I want to be shooting , would be inaccessible with these , by law.

I just bought a MM1 FMC on the Amazon prime day deal even though I knew the Mini 2 was coming. I wasn’t planning on the purchase but gimbal problems with my P3 Standard and the CAN$150 discount on the FMC made me hit the ‘buy’ button.

The new Mini 2 looks to be a promising drone for a new flier. For me the upgrades - 4K video, occusync, and the new controller - are not worth it. I mostly take photos and fly VLOS, plus it looks like the Mini 2 FMC will be around CAN$800 or more - way more than I’d want to spend for a Mini.

Chris
I did the same as you but I ended up returning it. I returned the mm1 FMC and got the Mini 2 just the basic package and it turned out to be $80 difference. I look at it as I'm trading the accessories + $80 for 4k, occusync, raw, etc. But In reality I know I might end up buying the extra batteries and a case (looking at the gpc hard case) so really I'm spending more and missing out on the FMC. Lol

Reactions: Rmcolon
You keep forgetting many areas of the world can not get anything >250 gr without getting into a hell of expensive bureaucracy ; also a lot of people are not interested flying all the time above deserts and meadows .Flying in highly regulated urban environments , the minimal footprint (size and noise) are of paramount importance.

I sold my MM and bought the mini2 , it is a fantastic upgrade.
If I would not have the weight limitation I would go for the MA2 or be on the lookout for the upcoming pro3
But then again all the urban related things I want to be shooting , would be inaccessible with these , by law.

Even with a >250 g you need to follow the FAA rules. When I fly my MM I request permission like I do with my 2.0 and 2.5 lb drones. The size doesn't mean I can fly wherever I want ignoring the regulations.

So I just got my MM2. I ordered it last Thursday and it was delivered yesterday, Monday. 5 days.
I am going to fly later today. I paid $777.00 (US) after a $5.00 credit.
I purchased these at the DJI store and used Affirm:

DJI Mini 2 Fly More Combo * 1 that came with the Mavic 2 Air remote control
Mavic Air 2 Remote Controller Monitor Hood * 1
DJI OM 4 * 1

So far, `looks like it will be fun. The original Mini batteries will work. I like the RAW option and 4K.
I will soon find out if it holds up to 24 MPH winds...I have my doubts. And I am sure the more powerful motors will come in handy.
I'm going to fly for a bit and get back with my opinions.

Wildman
Toruk AP10
Toruk AP11 Pro
DJI Phantom
DJI Mavic Pro 2
DJI Mavic Mini
DJI Mavic Mini 2
Various Toy Grade Models

I have the Mini1 and will not consider the MM2 as I also have the MA2 (which is superior to the MM2 in about all possible ways).
I would like to be able to control the MM using my SC, but not enough to buy a MM2.
The MM2 was, for me, the least interesting new Mavic they could possibly have come up with, a bit of a disappointment if that is the only new Mavic this fall.
Not for many others, that find Mini 2 possibly, the drone of the year.

Not for many others, that find Mini 2 possibly, the drone of the year.
I will almost certainly buy the Mavic3 when/if it arrives. The Mavic Air3 would also be really interesting, probably a must-have. The Mini 2 I might purchase some time later, due to the SC compatibility. As of now I have no use for it what so ever, so hard to justify (but that's me, not everybody else - I have the mini1, m2p, and ma2 + sc already).

Reactions: phantomi
Sold my MP after Canadian rules became effective, got Mavic Mini last year.
Had video stuttering and poor connection while flying vertically only in my backyard up to 300 feet, which is a big no no for me (resolved with Yagi antennas).
Just sold my Mavic Mini today and will wait for a small sale (not in a rush since COVID time) to get my hands on the Mini 2 and waiting for more reviews to pop up.
I expect the Occusync to resolve this poor signal, something that has never happened to me before (with Phantom 3 and Mavic Pro)

When I say "investment" is not only related to activities to make money. I spend more time with my kids flying this machines and having fun. Also, when I need to relax, I take my toys and feel so good just admiring the drone point of view from above. That, my friend, is priceless.
I agree

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flymehome