DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 3 Pro vs Mavic 2 Zoom for my purpose

So it's a bit of a waste trying to fight it when I think almost all of us in this thread understands what the feature entails.
Fighting ignorance might be a waste, but I do not agree that almost all here understand the feature. Calling the telephoto lens a "7x zoom" is just confusing, and people who are not well into photographic terms actually beleive that that the Mavic 3 has a 7x zoom lens.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Fighting ignorance might be a waste, but I do not agree that almost all here understand the feature. Calling the telephoto lens a "7x zoom" is just confusing, and people who are not well into photographic terms actually beleive that that the Mavic 3 has a 7x zoom lens.
Those same folks aren't really going to care that it doesn't zoom from wide to tele in a single lens as they usually would go the maximum on either end if it could. So for the purpose of consumers, they know it's 7X more than the appearance they get with the main lens.

Hi

I own a game ranch in Africa and we’re hammered by poaching. I currently have a phantom 4 which is giving problems so I want to replace it with a newer drone. One of my problems with the PH 4 is that it cannot zoom a bit closer to the ground. I know that the Mavic Mini Pro only has a digital zoom where the Mavic 2 zoom has both so I’m leaning to the Mavic 2 zoom but I would like to hear what you guys think before I make the purchase. I fly generally about 20 to 30 meters high and would like to zoom in on a spot if I see something suspicious. I know it’s not going to be teh perfect zoom but I think both of them will be better than the Ph4. Also which remote do you guys recommend, the one that you use your cellphone on or the one that has the built in screen.
I have Mavic 2 zoom for a long time and would not replace with any other "new" drones. 2x zoom works very well and if you video at 1080 you get additional 2x digital. The quality even with mixed zooms are very good.
Mini 3 pro is nice and capable drone, but Mavic 2 Z beats it any time. It is a real drone in my opinion and not a toy.
If I were you I would go for Mavic 2Z. Better wind resistant, able to fly real missions, and as a older drone is more reliable then the new one which still being up-to-dated.
Have a good flights.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yep, I would agree the M3 with the telephoto lens would be the best for remote spotting of poachers, however it is very hard to scan a large area with a long lens, but the “7x” should be able to keep you out of gun range. If you have the cash, defiantly the way to go.
Given that budget seems to be a concern, then by all means the M2Z. The added power and wind resistance as well as speed (in sport mode) make it superior to the MM3P. Also, as some have mentioned, the M2Z will do a 4x zoom in 1080p/30 or less, yes it is only 2x optical but the digital zoom at 4x is actually not zoomed at all, it is the camera imager’s native resolution and the image quality improves when going from 2x to 4x because the image isn’t being downgraded from the 4K imager chip, it’s just cropping the image down to the native resolution of 1080p. The MM3P is cropping the 4K imager until it get to 2x, where it gives its best image, between 2x and 4x it is digital zooming and the quality degrades significantly in my opinion.

Another thing to consider seriously is top speed and range. Range may be limited if FCC mode is not enabled (I know BVLOS is not allowed in most countries, but neither is poaching, which is the bigger crime? I’d say poaching). Install NoLimitDronz and the FCC mode can be enabled and speeds significantly increased. I haven’t installed NLZ on my M2Z but I did install it on my Mavic Pro and P4P, WOW what a difference. With the MP I was able to get up to 58MPH horizontal and 21MPH vertical climb speed, when I switched to 3 bladed props the speeds stated about the same but the MP accelerated even faster. The P4P with 3 bladed repeatedly broke 60MPH. No reason to believe that the M2Z won’t have similar improvements. While you won’t outrun a bullet, the greater speed, acceleration, and maneuverability with make it harder to hit. Being shot down, while a concern can be minimized by using a longer lens, the sky becomes a very very big place when you can put a little more distance between you and the subject.

Don
Current aircraft - P4P+, P4Poe, P4cne, M2Z, M3, MM3P, MM
Previous aircraft - P3, P4, MavicPro, MA2, Tell, and a few other toy drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada