DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Antenna Gain

Gary R

Reactions
Hello,

Does anyone know the Remote Control antenna Gain for the CE and FCC models ?

Thanks

Hello,

Does anyone know the Remote Control antenna Gain for the CE and FCC models ?

Thanks

I suspect it would be around 3dbi for 2.4ghz

Tks, any idea on tthe 5.8 like what you have in Oz ?

If your thinking of changing the antenna out, I wouldn't do it unless you were going for 3 watt amplified / circular polarised.
There are not any gains with passive antennas over stock

Maybe just try the parabolic reflectors first, this one is the best design as it hold the antenna is two places.

Reactions: Capt KO
What if install patch antenna instead of original? I saw 5.8ghz, 4x4sm size, with 8 db gain. I suppose it could increase range, as it's directional. Not?

What if install patch antenna instead of original? I saw 5.8ghz, 4x4sm size, with 8 db gain. I suppose it could increase range, as it's directional. Not?

You could try it, but to install it usually requires you to damage the original stock antenna when you remove them, so they might not be able to reconnect them to RC body if you change your mind.

You will need a uFL to sma connector

I'm not sure if the passive patch antenna will make any difference, what you need is more transmission power output.

For experiments it's possible to disassemble original antenna (remove plastic cap) and unsolder rf cable.
In the theory, good antenna is better then amplifier, because it will work in the both direction, tx and rx. If original antenna's gain = 3 db, and patch = 8db, we should get 5db, it means at least doubling range

For experiments it's possible to disassemble original antenna (remove plastic cap) and unsolder rf cable.
In the theory, good antenna is better then amplifier, because it will work in the both direction, tx and rx. If original antenna's gain = 3 db, and patch = 8db, we should get 5db, it means at least doubling range

What i was referring to was to use 3watt suhans amplifiers with 9dbi circular polarised antenna with the MM remote controller.
I use this with my other drones, I have not yet convert the MM RC over to the T-Lock system.
This combines two higher gain antennas with amplifiers for both transmitting and receiving signals from the RC

Last edited:
I think we’ve gotten off-topic from his original question. Anyway, I’ve found the cheap reflectors to be quite good at keeping active communication with the drone. Definitely improved over stock alone. Not sure about range but it did improve connection.

Dang, how far do you want to go? I certainly can’t see my mini at a half mile. Depending on your location, it can even get glitchy at that distance.

Last edited:
I’m also curious what the stock gain is for FCC controller. I’ve modded mine with the US (5.8ghz only) 4Hawks flat panel antenna which has a 14db gain and from what I remember and my tests it did a bit better than the parabolic reflector extender when flying in my high traffic residential area. I wanted more range so I added two of the Sunhans 2Watt signal boosters and that helped. I can now go west down hill towards the park, beach, town and reach over 7,000 feet. East I get about 3 - 4,000 feet. I don’t think I got much more than 1,500 feet stock and maybe 2 - 3,000 feet with standalone 4hawks and parabolic reflectors.

Two things I’m curious about though:

1) The mavic mini specs say the transmission power of the TX @ 5.8 GHz is <30 dBm (FCC)
and the Sunhans specs say max input power is 20dBm. So I’m not sure if I am overloading it or not. Not sure what the < is all about when they say <30 either. I assume that means less than, but how much less than?!

2) I’ve confirmed that my left antenna is receive only and I have a booster on that antenna in addition to the TX/RX (right) antenna but when I disconnect power to the receive only (left) antenna I can’t really tell any (or very little) difference in my r so I’m not sure if I even need a booster on the RX antenna.

specs:

US 4hawks:Raptor SR / designed for Mavic Mini US

Sunhans booster: http://sunhans.com/panel/client/download.php?i=3

Mavic mini:Mavic Mini - Specs, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI

Any experts have some helpful info?

My setup:

08ADA3A8-6E24-4621-8B3F-858B22D382AF.jpeg
CA8A3DF9-DB0D-4EC1-A3CB-F48009C89732.jpeg03652A60-D615-4A78-8DE0-857C80CB2D91.jpeg57D13F29-B44D-4F3C-B621-9423B1EDB0E4.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m also curious what the stock gain is for FCC controller. I’ve modded mine with the US (5.8ghz only) 4Hawks flat panel antenna which has a 14db gain and from what I remember and my tests it did a bit better than the parabolic reflector extender when flying in my high traffic residential area. I wanted more range so I added two of the Sunhans 2Watt signal boosters and that helped. I can now go west down hill towards the park, beach, town and reach over 7,000 feet. East I get about 3 - 4,000 feet. I don’t think I got much more than 1,500 feet stock and maybe 2 - 3,000 feet with standalone 4hawks and parabolic reflectors.

Two things I’m curious about though:

1) The mavic mini specs say the transmission power of the TX @ 5.8 GHz is <30 dBm (FCC)
a Sunhansove specifikacije kažu da je maksimalna ulazna snaga 20dBm. Tako da nisam siguran jesam li ga preopteretio ili ne. Niste sigurni o čemu se radi <kad kažu i <30. Pretpostavljam da to znači manje, ali koliko manje nego ?!

2) Potvrdio sam da moja lijeva antena prima samo i da imam dodatno pojačalo na toj anteni pored TX / RX (desne) antene, ali kad isključim napajanje samo na prijemnu (lijevu) antenu, stvarno ne mogu recite bilo koju (ili vrlo malo) razliku u mom r pa nisam siguran hoce li mi trebati i pojacalo na RX anteni.

naočale:

US 4hawks: Raptor SR / dizajniran za Mavic Mini US

Mavic mini: Mavic Mini - specifikacije, često postavljana pitanja, videozapisi, vodiči, priručnici - DJI

Bilo koji stručnjak ima neke korisne informacije?

Moja postava:

View attachment 95140
View attachment 95141to vam neće dati nikakvu snagu, čak će vas spustiti i zagrijati će se. Budući da ste model FCC-a, 4hawks vam je dovoljan srView attachment 95143
[/CITAT]

[QUOTE="Sideburn]
2) I’ve confirmed that my left antenna is receive only and I have a booster on that antenna in addition to the TX/RX (right) antenna but when I disconnect power to the receive only (left) antenna I can’t really tell any (or very little) difference in my r so I’m not sure if I even need a booster on the RX antenna.

specs:

My setup:

[/QUOTE]

no need booster on your RX antenna

[QUOTE="Sideburn]

specs:

My setup:

no need booster on your RX antenna
[/QUOTE]

How do you know this is true for sure?

If those boosters only improved Tx, then I wouldn't expect to get see any extra range before losing video from the Mini. But people are reporting that they do improve range, so I assumed they were amplifying Rx too.

Yes. They are bidirectional boosters and I see the blue light blinking on the booster connected to the rx only antenna.

the specs show that they boost both rx and tx:

Operating range: 5.0~5.875GHz.
Operating mode: Bi-directional, half-duplex, time division duplex senses RF, carrier from transmitter and automatically switch receiving to transmitting mode.
Antenna connector type: SMA female (hole inside) 50ohm.
Radio connector type: RP-SMA female (pin inside) 50ohm.
Input power: 0~20dBm.
Transmit gain: 15-18dB.
Output power: 2000mW (33dBm).
Receiver gain: ≤12dB.
Noise figure: ≤3.5 dB typical.
Frequency response: ±1dB over operating range.
Supported voltages: 5V~16V/2A DC.

The only reason I am questioning it is because so far with my tests I haven’t been able to notice and improvement in my signal wether the rx only booster is powered on or not. and if there is an improvement then it seems very subtle.

I could try connecting an rf meter to the “to radio” side of the booster I suppose and see if I get an increased mW reading if that would work. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d