DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini Automatically descended into water and had no control to try and save it

Reactions
I was directed by a viewer on one of my video's to share my story on how my Mavic Mini crashed into the ocean. They think it could be to do with the compass calibration but before take off i calibrated it and have heard similar stories about other people Mavic's descending with no control and would like to know would happened. Cheers

here is the link to my video:

And my flight logs.

Last edited:
I was directed by a viewer on one of my video's to share my story on how my Mavic Mini crashed into the ocean. They think it could be to do with the compass calibration but before take off i calibrated it and have heard similar stories about other people Mavic's descending with no control and would like to know would happened. Cheers

here is the link to my video:

And my flight logs.
Similar... you are not alone. Maybe a flaw in the FW?

They think it could be to do with the compass calibration but before take off i calibrated it
There are things that the compass might have an effect on and others that are completely unrelated to the compass.
There is no way that calibrating your compass ornot calibrating it would cause the drone to descend.

There are things that the compass might have an effect on and others that are completely unrelated to the compass.
There is no way that calibrating your compass ornot calibrating it would cause the drone to descend.
Thanks for your response. i also thought that the compass would not have caused the crash but wasn't sure but thanks anyway

Have a look at some of the newer threads that show what happened to your mini.. Seems to be a problem with that error and it just landing itself you were just really unlucky to have been over water

I start to believe this Mavic Mini wasn't ready for prime time yet. Mine too succumbed of its own downsides... lost link in perfectly line of sight and also managed to fly away from the last contact point.

I start to believe this Mavic Mini wasn't ready for prime time yet. Mine too succumbed of its own downsides... lost link in perfectly line of sight and also managed to fly away from the last contact point.
I looked at your flight data.
There's not enough information to say that the drone flew away.

Reactions: Thomas B
Totally without doubt... but my experience running directly below the last contact point minutes from the incident (and far before the battery at 76% might have run out) proves that it wasn't there anymore. 3 days of search later from ground and air ended with no drone found. So not only it unlinked, did not return to home but it didn't even stay put.

I am bitterly disappointed...had I known something like this was so very likely to happen based on the sheer number of this kind of complaints alone over here, I would have gone with the Care Refresh option, no questions asked.

Refresh wouldn't have helped without an AC to send to DJI, and no proof of a warranty issue. For all DJI knows from your data, you lost signal and the MM succumbed to heavy wind and drifted away. DJI can't guarantee how far signal connection can be maintained.

I see your point, but... 300 mt line of sign shouldn't be an issue with plenty of free channels, otherwise they might wanna market this drone to the toy dept.
What does AC stand for ? I do believe I lost signal but possibly to a glitchy firmware or an hardware failure.

So even Care Refresh would have been useless in this case... taking note, it's exactly what I was thinking when presented with the option, I am accustomed to be my own warranty, so no surprise here.

I see your point, but... 300 mt line of sign shouldn't be an issue with plenty of free channels, otherwise they might wanna market this drone to the toy dept.
What does AC stand for ? I do believe I lost signal but possibly to a glitchy firmware or an hardware failure.

So even Care Refresh would have been useless in this case... taking note, it's exactly what I was thinking when presented with the option, I am accustomed to be my own warranty, so no surprise here.

You really need to understand how radio works and stop spamming up other peoples threads

Imagine that you're at one side of a really big field and a friend is on the other. If you shout they can hear you and you can hear them.
Now get a handful of people standing in various places in the field all shouting at the top of their lungs different things.
Repeat what you tried first and see if you can still hear or understand your friend.

Chances are the other people closer to either of you will drown out the sound from you or your friend.

It doesn't matter if you can see them if something else is far closer making far more "noise" than you they wont hear you.

Reactions: GarthH
Actually I am very cautious with flying my MM over water, too.
As already written in another thread I had a special experience few days ago, too.
My MM was on its way back when I decided to pause for a short hover. Shortly after stopping the MM begun an uncommanded descend as if it would plan to land. As I am usually flying with goggles I was immediately aware of the problem, which might have not been the case when just looking onto the phone screen and increased altitude with full throttle for a safe return. Still no idea why that has happend, no warnings, enough battery, best weather conditions with only calm wind, sun and about 5°C.
Have not experienced that behaviour before and also not after updating to firmware 0400 at the same evening.
But at least, there is/was a problem which can cause the MM to autoland on its own...

You really need to understand how radio works and stop spamming up other peoples threads

You Sir are spamming other people's threads playing the professor.

I already talked scanning the frequencies, including a possible projection of cumulative layer sampling for all the heights and lengths. I intervened because I can't help but feel emphatic towards those that I believe may have been betrayed by this cunning little drone.

Also my signal stayed full and no interference notices in the last minutes of flight...should your suggestion be the case certainly the indicator is total RUBBISH.

[...]
But at least, there is/was a problem which can cause the MM to autoland on its own...

It would be very interesting to interpret and analyze the raw sensors data (DAT file) in that case. If it was in my hands I think I wouldn't be satisfied until I could understand what happened and why.

Under FCC power and 5G, I got out about 2400ft at 300ft altitude before signal started degrading.
Therefore 900ft (300m) at lower altitude and power could make sense.

Reactions: m80116
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillesdeColombes