DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini brand new blinks red/green won't connect

Gigantor

Reactions
I have a brand new Mavic Mini that I cannot get working. The drone just keeps blinking red/green. Cannot connect to remote. I am not using a smartphone. I have not installed an SD card. I need help.

I have a brand new Mavic Mini that I cannot get working. The drone just keeps blinking red/green. Cannot connect to remote. I am not using a smartphone. I have not installed an SD card. I need help.
You’ve answered your own questions.

Use a smartphone - it won’t work without one. I also suggest reading the manual unless you want to lose your new drone very quickly.

Uuumm whilst I can not remember if a flash sequence is associated with a drone not being activated I have to ask, has the drone been activated? Whilst it is true that a phone is not required for linking (connecting the controller to the drone) I am fairly sure it is a necessity for activation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dozzn
@Gigantor if it is a brand new drone you will need to link the RC to a screen device ,and be connected to the internet ,to enable the drone to become registered to a DJI account with your Email address it will not be possible to get the drone to fly untill this has been done

I had to link my brand new MA2 out of the box to the remote, and since my phone wouldn't run DJI FLY I did it by holding the power buttons down on each device for 4 seconds. I proceeded to push both sticks down and in on the remote and it started right up and hovered in my living room. My ceiling fan nearly made it drift into the TV, Fortunately I held the left stick down HARD and it landed.

RTFM with these drones is a pretty good idea because a little knowledge can get you in some real trouble...

@JackL, just in case by "HARD" you mean "with force".
Force should not necessary. Using only minimum amount of force required, holding the thottle in the down/closed position, until it lands and the motors stop, should suffice

@JackL, just in case by "HARD" you mean "with force".
Force should not necessary. Using only minimum amount of force required holding the thottle in the down/closed position, until it lands and the motors stop, should suffice

Had I known about down and out at the time I probably would have used that! I more meant extremely frantically...and the slight delay the drone has before landing with stick down felt like about an hour in my mind. My very first flight was short, but very memorable.

Taking "down and out" to mean the CSC position, then I would suggest that it is a very bad way to try and land the drone, the drone may be moving laterally at significant speed at the moment of contact with the ground.
For a 'controlled landing' in a panic situation throttle closed is the best way to go in my opinion.
I suspect the delay that you saw is the landing protection thing kicking in after the drone sensed it is within 50cm of the ground.

If, however, your are thinking that the CSC position may stop the motors in mid air and cause the drone to freefall then, I think you are mistaken.
I think you will find that, with the drone in mid air, the DEFAULT response to the CSC position is a descending helix, which, depending on the flight mode (S or P or C or whatever the relevant term are for the MA2), can involve significant lateral speed.
In the DEFAULT CSC response mode, "emergency only"?, I think the motors will only stop in midair after the drone has experienced an "emergency", such as a collision. (Madness in my opinion as you can't use it to avoid the collision)
To actually stop the motors, as and when YOU want them to stop, in mid air I think you will find you have to switch the CSC reponse mode to "Anytime" and then the trigger period, which is around 2sec I think, is IMO FAR too short i.e. if you routinely flew in that response mode I think there would be a reasonable chance of accidentally triggering a mid air shut down.

I have had a MM at 100m+ and, with the CSC response mode set to "emergency only", put the sticks in the CSC position and the MM descended in powered flight, in that helix, at the descent rate appropriate to the flight mode and actually slowed its descent as the ground came within range of the VPS.
As soon as the stick were release the MM hovered.

I have done a similar test with the MM at maybe 2m, the CSC response mode set to "Anytime" and the flight mode to C (the slowest). The mini again descended in a helix for about a second or so and then dropped after the motors stopped, the fall was around 12 to 18 inches (yes I mix units) on to grass.
You might be interested in

Reactions: JackL
The reason for the helix is because of the literal interpretation of the sticks.

The position of the sticks that are used for CSC is descent at full rate, yaw at full rate, roll (sideways) in opposite direction as yaw at full rate, and fly backwards at full speed, all at the same time.

The reason for the helix is because of the literal interpretation of the sticks
If that was for me, I knew, but thanks anyway. It's almost ballet like in C mode with the MM but quite dynamic in S mode though still looked quite 'circular'

If, however, your are thinking that the CSC position may stop the motors in mid air and cause the drone to freefall then, I think you are mistaken.

Thank you for this! and yes, it is exactly what I thought...
Great video and post. I still have a whole lot to learn about DJI software!!

Dear oh dear, you really have to wonder how some people make it through life without having to have their hand held at every instance. I mean, come on man, it's not rocket science. Use the brain you were given.

I think the OP would have been better served if you had included a link to the manual e.g. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200930/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN1.pdf

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Thank you for this! and yes, it is exactly what I thought...
Great video and post. I still have a whole lot to learn about DJI software!!
Arriving at my MM via the Phantom 3's I was in the same boat, i.e. thinking the CSC would shut down the motors at anytime if the position was held long enough.
I did read the MM manual but given the fact that such manuals often seem written in computer speak English and my thinking odd wording might be possibly flawed transaltions from another language, I failed to understand the significance of the wording.
Fortunately, the wording made me curious, it's not an area where one wants a misunderstanding, and I investigated.
I am not the only person who questions/ed the MM's/FLY-app's approach to CSC (the M2P/Z also uses 'emergency only' vs 'anytime' approach). There is or was another youtube post by another youtube presenter concerning this subject.
I am sure others may still be unaware that the default CSC response does not leave a mid air motor stop at their command.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Uuumm whilst I can not remember if a flash sequence is associated with a drone not being activated I have to ask, has the drone been activated? Whilst it is true that a phone is not required for linking (connecting the controller to the drone) I am fairly sure it is a necessity for activation.
No you can take dji mini se straight out the box and

fly it no phone needed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme