DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini, can you control the speed of flight during a "circle"?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

As the title ask, can you control the speed of flight during a "circle"? If so, how?

I was actually orbiting something manually a few minutes ago and it occurred to me there is/might-be and automated flight function to do this. A quick google and it turns out it is called "circle". A quick couple of orbits/circles seemed to show the same speed of movement irrespective of the flight mode (C,P or S) and rather too quick for my taste. Hence my question

As the title ask, can you control the speed of flight during a "circle"? If so, how?

I was actually orbiting something manually a few minutes ago and it occurred to me there is/might-be and automated flight function to do this. A quick google and it turns out it is called "circle". A quick couple of orbits/circles seemed to show the same speed of movement irrespective of the flight mode (C,P or S) and rather too quick for my taste. Hence my question
It's been a while since I've used DJI FLY but I think the speed increases as you increase the set radius so the duration of the orbit/circle are somewhat similar in length.

I use Litchi with the mini and the sticks can control the orbit parameters during flight. Altitude, speed, radius and even the camera orientation! So you can do a simple circle or multiple circles while changing orientation and then start doing a spiral or matrix.

Below is a page on "Orbit" from the Litchi User Guide

Litchi Orbit info.jpg

Circle is a quick shot and times out at a 15 second clip, so no speed is selectable from this video, so as explained it will depend on distance from POI.

DJI's higher series drones can control speed, or use third party Apps on the Mini.

Thanks 'guys,' that the speed is fixed is a bit dissapointing, it's ok for close to shots I suppose but if, say, you wanted to do an orbit of a ruined castle it's going to be 'interesting'.
I did a manual partial partial orbit last year with a P3 and I'd bet I was 100m to 150m out. I'd guess yesterday's manual orbits took between 40sec and a minute, the automated one did 'whiz' around.

I suppose so but the rate of rotation isn't constant, which would complicate matters especially since I have never played with post production lol.
I put a P3Adv up and tried that and it offers speed control.
I am now curious, do all FLY App drones suffer this limitation?

You can also control height, speed, radius, drone orientation, gimbal angle, camera settings etc. in Dronelink which is a brilliant programme. Works with Mavic Mini but not yet with Mini 2 or Air 2.

Thanks, I am wary of using third party control app but will have a look.
Do Litchi and drone link store flight logs?
If installed do they become the default app?
Do I have the option to switch back to the FLY app etc.etc. ?
I have Go and Go4 on the same phone, will adding either 3rd party app for the MM interfer with either Go or Go4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not any more than the 3 apps you have now (Go3 Go4, Fly) interfere with each other. I'm sure too that your device prompts which app to use when flying your P3, even offering Airmap/Kittyhawk.

I know you need Go3 for the P3A you mentioned you had but what are you flying that uses Go4? I'm betting that has POI as well.

Cheers, is the version of Dronelink drone or App specific?
Currently the phone defaults to the DJI app appropriate to the drone/controller.

Agreed on orbit speed. WAY too fast. Please, DJI, give us a "half speed" option.
Perhaps simply invoking "C" mode would accomplish this.

Did that work?

With the Mini, I've been using 3rd party apps much more than the Fly app. Litchi/Maven/Red Waypoints. I enjoy learning the ins and outs of the apps. For me they all have different features (for the mini) that set them apart from each other from Waypoints, to Follow, Panoramas, Virtual Reality and Orbit etc.

As per @PhiliusFoggg and his question of "controlling speed during a circle", I especially like Mavic Maven, an 3rd party app that along with WPs, FPV etc., has a new feature called CoPilot. It's like "Quickshots" for mini's on steroids! You can easily set up and turn an Orbit/Circle into a spiral or matrix by controlling circle radius, speed, direction, altitude, and even the POI and camera orientation while flying.

In Maven's CoPilot Mode there's also a CableCam function that is like Fly's "Quickshot's Dronie" but again, being on steroids, while flying, you can easily change speeds, direction, altitude, POI and camera orientation etc.

One word of caution, today I was quickly trying out a new update in the CableCam mode in a small area and forgot how that while in the cablecam mode the speed of the mini keeps increasing/decreasing with stick input. With the stick returned to neutral the mini remains at the last speed until you give it reverse stick. So in your first few flights just be aware that with no hands on the stick it doesn't brake like we're used to. It keeps on going "along the Cable" at the same constant speed until you apply stick in the opposite direction to slow or stop or reverse direction. Try using little stick bumps and release to increase/decrease speed/altitude and let the "CoPilot" control the orientation and camera at the POI.

Here's a link to - Maven – For DJI Drones – This App will let you fly your DJI™ Drone like never before! - if you want to check the app and it's features out. Has anyone else with a mini tried it out??

Last edited:
With the Mini, I've been using 3rd party apps much more than the Fly app. Litchi/Maven/Red Waypoints. I enjoy learning the ins and outs of the apps. For me they all have different features (for the mini) that set them apart from each other from Waypoints, to Follow, Panoramas, Virtual Reality and Orbit etc.

As per @PhiliusFoggg and his question of "controlling speed during a circle", I especially like Mavic Maven, an 3rd party app that along with WPs, FPV etc., has a new feature called CoPilot. It's like "Quickshots" for mini's on steroids! You can easily set up and turn an Orbit/Circle into a spiral or matrix by controlling circle radius, speed, direction, altitude, and even the POI and camera orientation while flying.

In Maven's CoPilot Mode there's also a CableCam function that is like Fly's "Quickshot's Dronie" but again, being on steroids, while flying, you can easily change speeds, direction, altitude, POI and camera orientation etc.

One word of caution, today I was quickly trying out a new update in the CableCam mode in a small area and forgot how that while in the cablecam mode the speed of the mini keeps increasing/decreasing with stick input. With the stick returned to neutral the mini remains at the last speed until you give it reverse stick. So in your first few flights just be aware that with no hands on the stick it doesn't brake like we're used to. It keeps on going "along the Cable" at the same constant speed until you apply stick in the opposite direction to slow or stop or reverse direction. Try using little stick bumps and release to increase/decrease speed/altitude and let the "CoPilot" control the orientation and camera at the POI.

Here's a link to - Maven – For DJI Drones – This App will let you fly your DJI™ Drone like never before! - if you want to check the app and it's features out. Has anyone else with a mini tried it out??

uhm....you forgot to mention Maven is only for apple users. I wanted to try them out but no android download...
Guess I'll try Dronelink.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair