DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini crash

I indeed have recovered the drone , have dried it out but it's not playing ! Looks like new blades to be fitted nearly every time it gets used
It appears if you installed new blades, and then fold them to store the drone, so that they are altered, then you start getting errors.

I thought I had asked whether there is a 3rd party prop that would work without suffering from the problem, but did not get a response, however that may not mean that there are not some that would work.

The other seeming solution is to remove the props after each flight perhaps, preventing them from being bent to fail. Course if I recall, this means removing and re-installing screws for each prop routinely, which would be a pain, and eventually perhaps you mess up a screw or a screw hole on the motor and you have another problem.

There could be ways to perhaps extend the life of a set of props with careful management and not storing them so they ever overlap or get bent. But it seems that eventually that they would fail again.. So you have to have a slew of handy props, and care in installing them since they do not twist lock into place. And if you start getting errors, land as soon as safe...

Props, screws in particular are not designed to be removed often. Screws have loctite on them so are meant to be used once.

I store my MM1 in its FMK case (v1) but I take care that the bottom props have no pressure on them. I do dovetail so there may be slight warpage, but very lightly.

I've never gotten a speed warning, though it's been a few months since I flew.

...I thought I had asked whether there is a 3rd party prop that would work without suffering from the problem...
Nothing that I've heard of ... a lot of pilots searched around when these cases exploded 6 month after the Mini 1 was released but don't think anyone found any.

I had asked whether there is a 3rd party prop that would work without suffering from the problem [...]
Others have asked that as well, suggesting that maybe stiffer carbon fibre blades would be more resistant to this bending. However...

Here's the problem. It's because of the geometry of the motor angles, particularly the rear motors.

When viewed from the rear, you can see the front motors (blue line) are level and horizontal, while the rear motors (red lines) are noticeably canted outboard. When viewed from the side, the front motors are mounted at an angle canted rearward, while the rear motors are level horizontally. That, in itself, is no problem. It's done deliberately for reasons of flight stability and responsiveness.

MotorAngles.jpg

It's only a problem when the Mini's arms are folded with the blades stowed meshed together laterally across the body of the Mini.

Because of the outboard canted angle of the rear motors, fresh non-deformed blades will cross in an X shape. They cannot be meshed to fold together unless one side or the other is bent down to fit under the opposite side's blades.

To force the blades into this crossed position, as instructed by DJI's label in the bottom of the FlyMore Case, the tips of the blades from one side must bend to fit under the opposite blades. Compare the undeflected height of the tip of blade #1 versus the tip of blade #2 that is being bent down in this image.

RearsBentDown.jpg

If stored in this position for any length of time, the blade eventually becomes permanently drooped. The droop alone is not what's causing the problem though. Look closely at the image above. As the tip of blade #2 is forced down, the trailing edge near the root of the blade contacts the body of the Mini. So, as the tip is bent down, the trailing edge is pressed up.

That twists the pitch angle of the blade.

Twist.jpg

The trailing edge at the root of the blade is quite strong and not easily deflected. However, the tip of the blade is very easily deformed. From the image above you can see that pushing down on the tip of the blade, while supporting the trailing edge at the blade's root, will twist the blade so that the leading edge at the tip curls down.

As the motor spins, the tip of the blade moves through the air significantly faster than the root of the blade. If the tip is bent down and twisted sufficiently it will no longer produce lift. If sufficiently bent, the tip will eventually even generate negative lift, thereby countering any useful lift still being produced at the root of the blade. The flight controller compensates for this lack of lift by spinning the motor faster, until ultimately the motor is incapable of spinning any faster.

Stiffer blades will not cure the issue, if one continues to store the props with blades crossed. Because of the way the rear motors are canted outboard, it would be impossible to cross the stiffer blades for storage without twisting and bending the motor arms instead.

The answer is to store the Mini with its arms open. If you must fold the arms, position the blades longitudinally alongside the body of the Mini, or even at an angle without the tips crossing.

Even without the weight of the Mini resting on the blades, simply crossing the blades laterally across the body of the Mini is the worst possible position for storage, regardless of which type of storage case (if any) is used.

I indeed have recovered the drone , have dried it out but it's not playing ! Looks like new blades to be fitted nearly every time it gets used
Hi , pretty new to all this , had a 2nd hand mini bought for me for my birthday , flew it for a week or 2 with no problems, just the odd warning about a propeller rotating too fast , but last week flew it decided 8 mins into a flight to slowly descend down into the sea !! It was almost like it was returning to home but I've checked the video and home was where I was standing, is this a common fault that the drone loses communication, I could see the drone as was only about 50metres from me , I'll try and post the video , it's 7mins so have fast forwarded a bit, any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Hi , pretty new to all this , had a 2nd hand mini bought for me for my birthday , flew it for a week or 2 with no problems, just the odd warning about a propeller rotating too fast , but last week flew it decided 8 mins into a flight to slowly descend down into the sea !! It was almost like it was returning to home but I've checked the video and home was where I was standing, is this a common fault that the drone loses communication, I could see the drone as was only about 50metres from me , I'll try and post the video , it's 7mins so have fast forwarded a bit, any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Hi ive had this problem with mini blades twice first time only on second flight
giving mini a check over discovered one left rear prop not fully secured.
tightened down by full one and half turn.
four more flights it was fine no messages. next flight same message motor over revving.
removed all screws re applied free loctite blue 5 flights since with no problems.

Reactions: fishiero
Hi ive had this problem with mini blades twice first time only on second flight
giving mini a check over discovered one left rear prop not fully secured.
tightened down by full one and half turn.
four more flights it was fine no messages. next flight same message motor over revving.
removed all screws re applied free loctite blue 5 flights since with no problems.
On the surface based on your post, you had issues because the props were not properly installed to begin with.

The problem, which you describe encountering is very different than the issues others were having, which is the Mini 1 props were being physically deformed by being stored in what could be said are appropriate ways.. but in actuality the recommended method was damaging the props over time, which eventually lead to a lack of lift and not very well controlled, if any control at all, a descent in perhaps very inconvenient places.

It appears if you installed new blades, and then fold them to store the drone, so that they are altered, then you start getting errors.

I thought I had asked whether there is a 3rd party prop that would work without suffering from the problem, but did not get a response, however that may not mean that there are not some that would work.

The other seeming solution is to remove the props after each flight perhaps, preventing them from being bent to fail. Course if I recall, this means removing and re-installing screws for each prop routinely, which would be a pain, and eventually perhaps you mess up a screw or a screw hole on the motor and you have another problem.

There could be ways to perhaps extend the life of a set of props with careful management and not storing them so they ever overlap or get bent. But it seems that eventually that they would fail again.. So you have to have a slew of handy props, and care in installing them since they do not twist lock into place. And if you start getting errors, land as soon as safe...
Yes sounds like plenty of new blades to keep spare, I actually got a 2nd hand replacement drone today, 1st time up in the garden earlier and same fault so will renew them tomorrow and see how it goes then! Thinking I should've gone for a different drone now!
It was a bit difficult to read the last warnings as I was watching the drone and not the screen as the drone wasn't far away, difficult to take your eyes off it as it descended into the sea ?‍♂️

A rather extensive thread on after-market Mini 1 props, to include test results, can be found HERE

Sorry you had such a bad experience, but I guess since you are still posting, you are still in the game.

All the best from here.
Hi , yes I bought a replacement drone this week , I've put new blades on and had no warnings this time , however the 2nd time of using it the rotating too fast warning has re appeared, looks like putting it in the case once has bent the blades already?‍♂️

Reactions: AusGeoff
Hi , yes I bought a replacement drone this week , I've put new blades on and had no warnings this time , however the 2nd time of using it the rotating too fast warning has re appeared, looks like putting it in the case once has bent the blades already?‍♂️
Perhaps you need to find a new hobby as you are so obviously struggling very much with attempting to fly drones.

Perhaps you need to find a new hobby as you are so obviously struggling very much with attempting to fly drones.
Perhaps the OP just needs to read the thread suggested in post 29 of this thread. As recorded by SAR104, the mini1 has problems with its rear propellers that might be overcome by NOT following the DJI advice on storage and throwing away the DJI case!

Ha ha , thanks for your input!! Got plenty of other hobbies but thought this would be fun too, which it is when the thing works ?

A major clue to what happened here is in the first sentence of the original post: " just the odd warning about a propeller rotating too fast." I'm guessing these warnings were ignored.
100% agreed !!! i saved mine after learning about this over a year ago , when i saw this warning , i changed the props and i store the mini better by added extra foam to the ridge in the box .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky