DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini drifting

CroatianMavic

Reactions
Hello,

i noticed my MM is drifting quite a bit when above sea. It’s not ascending or descending, just going in the direction of the wind(breeze). When I fly above beach it stays rock solid. I think that gps should hold its position a bit better :/ Do you guys have a same experience?

I
Sound like it's too windy to hold position and therefore drifting with the wind. It's a mini don't forget ;)

Download UAV forecast to check wind in your area and at height
its not too windy. I have 250 flights with it and it never does this thing when above solid ground and in much stronger winds. When I ascended today to 120 m it was rock solid. It only happened when 6-10 m above sea. Had 13 sattelites and no interference.

Attachments

• 7C3644D7-76E9-43A5-A3CD-A075092836BE.jpeg
    7C3644D7-76E9-43A5-A3CD-A075092836BE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
perhaps it was lower than you show on app and it is trying to hold its position using optical sensor? If it happens only in lower altitude that is a strong option. Another cause can be the fact that GPS signals can be reflected (as all radio signals) and near to a such reflective body like water the IMU does a hard work to determine the rigth position. Just for reference: How to Fly Safely Over Water - DJI Guides

When I ascended today to 120 m it was rock solid. It only happened when 6-10 m above sea.
The explanation is on p16 of your manual.
i-7SHD3RB-M.jpg

Reactions: ff22
The explanation is on p16 of your manual.
i-7SHD3RB-M.jpg
yes but a question still remaiins... it is always use the Vision System for position holding (under, say, 10m) or when it has strong GPS signal it use Vision System only for smart landing?

yes but a question still remaiins... it is always use the Vision System for position holding (under, say, 10m) or when it has strong GPS signal it use Vision System only for smart landing?
It's no question.
The OP proved it for himself.
When he was down in VPS range, the VPS attempted to hold position and failed.
When he climbed above VPS range, the drone was rock solid.

btw .. GPS reflection isn't the issue.
Without VPS, DJI drones easily hold position close above water using just GPS.

Yeah I know that vps is affected by water but I find insane that I have to tape my vps sensors if I want to fly <10 m above water. Logically it should switch to gps hold if it senses movement without stick input when in vps mode.
Thank you guys for answers

Reactions: RogerDH

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk