DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini "fly away" issues?

Baine

Reactions
Is there a known issue or expectancy for Mavi Minis (or any model, for that matter) to fly off in an unspecified direction while hovering?

For context, I've been flying a Gen 1 Mavic Mini for about 3 years now and would consider myself experienced in understanding good and bad conditions for flying and the typical warnings associated - strong winds, low battery, compass calibration, GPS lost, no satellite comms, etc. Nonetheless, the one issue I can never predict or identify early enough is my Mavic Mini's flying in a direction that I had not intended. Sometimes (usually within the first 3 minutes of a flight) if I let the mini hover for a few seconds, it will pick a single direction and strafe in said direction at full speed. I am most times able to regain control by frantically moving the left control stick for a second or two, but in my most recent encounter with the issue, I wasn't able to regain control quick enough and the Mini crashed.

Over the last 3 years I have had this happen to me maybe a total of 5 times, but every time it does it scares me to fly in the future - the last thing I want is to harm any person or their property due to my not being able to predict the drone's movement.

If anyone in the community has had a similar issue or if knows if this is expected behavior, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

It seems to me that the first place to look would be the flight log for each to get an idea of what happened for each flight and what you could do to prevent future occurrences. Details about each fight and all related conditions for each flight would help your figure out the problem.

Is there a known issue or expectancy for Mavi Minis (or any model, for that matter) to fly off in an unspecified direction while hovering?
It's nothing you should ever expect to see (if you know what you are doing with your drone).
Drones don't ever fly off on their own without something to cause that.
It just doesn't happen.
Nonetheless, the one issue I can never predict or identify early enough is my Mavic Mini's flying in a direction that I had not intended. Sometimes (usually within the first 3 minutes of a flight) if I let the mini hover for a few seconds, it will pick a single direction and strafe in said direction at full speed.

If anyone in the community has had a similar issue or if knows if this is expected behavior, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
It sounds like you are describing a yaw error incident.
They are 100% preventable, but get reported here every week or two.

Do a little searching for "yaw error" to see some of the volumes that's been written about it.

Reactions: db4476
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne