DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini gimbal jumps up when pointed down

vwkaufman

Reactions
i have a 2nd new mavic mini and when the gimbal is pointed straight down and i fly forwards or back in sport mode it jumps upward to about 70 degrees.
this is my second mini, the first one did the same thing in sport and P mode.
DJI sent me a new one as replacement. they both have the same issue.
has anyone tested their mavic mini in this way.
thank you

Last edited:
May have something to do with the angle of attack increase in sport mode and the gimbal compensating for that angle change.

I posted a similar thread. I’m almost positive it’s a software issue that affects all minis. I haven’t had anyone try flying with the camera straight down -90 and not report it jump up if they fly around for awhile. You can tell it is not related to exceeding the stops by tilting the mavic around manually with the motors off (exceeding the stops). If you exceed the gimbal angle it still returns to -90 when it can.

Example:

Reactions: vwkaufman
With that video, probably not a speed of flight issue.

I posted a similar thread. I’m almost positive it’s a software issue that affects all minis. I haven’t had anyone try flying with the camera straight down -90 and not report it jump up if they fly around for awhile. You can tell it is not related to exceeding the stops by tilting the mavic around manually with the motors off (exceeding the stops). If you exceed the gimbal angle it still returns to -90 when it can.

Example:
i have a new mavic mini and when the gimbal is pointed straight down and i fly forwards or back in sport mode it jumps upward to about 70 degrees.
this is my second mini, the first one did the same thing in sport and P mode.
DJI sent me a new one as replacement.
has anyone tested their mavic mini in this way.
thank you

Does anyone have a mavic mini that does NOT do this?
thanks

So here’s what I found. Yes, I can duplicate this. If I fly fast and stop quickly, it jumps. If I slow down from fast speed ever so slowly, no jump.
All the above at 90 degree down on camera. If I change the camera angle to 83 degrees down, all reacts the same as above. Change to 82 degrees or lower(81,80,79)no jump.

So here’s what I found. Yes, I can duplicate this. If I fly fast and stop quickly, it jumps. If I slow down from fast speed ever so slowly, no jump.
All the above at 90 degree down on camera. If I change the camera angle to 83 degrees down, all reacts the same as above. Change to 82 degrees or lower(81,80,79)no jump.
thanks for the input.

Did you try slight forward input like the video I posted? I push maybe 1/8 stick forward, like you are trying to center the shot...

I found an easier way to recreate, just fly backwards in P mode with the camera straight down, it seems to lock the gimbal at the same amount the angle is exceeded. The odd thing is that if you tilt it without the motors running that doesn’t occur. You can even power the Mavic Mini up, turn camera straight down, tilt it manually and it stays at -90 setting. Then set it down and take off...fly backwards and you get the issue where setting changes...

I found an easier way to recreate, just fly backwards in P mode with the camera straight down, it seems to lock the gimbal at the same amount the angle is exceeded. The odd thing is that if you tilt it without the motors running that doesn’t occur. You can even power the Mavic Mini up, turn camera straight down, tilt it manually and it stays at -90 setting. Then set it down and take off...fly backwards and you get the issue where setting changes...
thanks for that in depth test, spoke with dji yesterday and they said an update should be out by end of dec. which is today. i will see if that fixes it.

Will be interesting to see if that update addresses that issue.
My guess? Nope.

I’m thinking that DJI built this into the system as a gimbal protection measure.

I’m thinking that DJI built this into the system as a gimbal protection measure.

Then why doesn’t it do it when you are moving the Mavic Mini around manually? (With motors off). Also Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 don’t do this.

I’ve been emailing DJI and they wanted me to exchange mine, so it seems they agree it is not how it is supposed to work. I’ve been trying to get DJI to investigate it as an issue affecting all Mavic Minis...their last email states they will add it to the list of issues to investigate...

Phantom 3 and 4 have a completely different camera and gimbal.
Probably not a fair comparison.
Getting DJI to provide an answer on this at this stage is more along the lines of asking a politician if he speaks the truth.

Phantom 3 and 4 have a completely different camera and gimbal.
Probably not a fair comparison.
Getting DJI to provide an answer on this at this stage is more along the lines of asking a politician if he speaks the truth.
Same problem here. Updated firmware recently. I’m thinking this started after a few firmware updates. I don’t remember it doing this when I first started using mine, but I may have not tried 90 shots as much when moving.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique