DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini gimbal sun cover

View attachment 95817Is this protection good? does anyone have any experience with this?
i use one on both my drones mainly to keep sun glare off the lens as much as possible,but also they do offer some protection to the camera and gimbal from the sides

I’ve done a few flights with this protection on my MM and I would recommend it. It allows totally free movement of the camera , prevents some flare with the sun in lateral angle and protects the gimbal case of crash. Remember that any accessories attached to our drone will put it over 250grams

I like the idea of protection for the gimbal in my (unlikely) event of another contact with a stationary object ;)

Yeah I use this on my mini. I was always paranoid about hitting the gimbal with hand while holding it and this was an inexpensive fix. I have found that when operating in windy conditions I will sometimes see it come into view...but then again its a good reminder that if I am seeing the hood, I probably shouldn't be flying in high winds anyway. :)

Reactions: navegabem
So to start I don't have filters so I can't answer from a real world expereince, but I would think it would work fine. The ND filters I have seen fit the gimbal fairly well without protruding beyond the normal footprint.

With that said I have thought about buying some filters but haven't as I don't do much still photography with my mini. My understanding is that ND filters (especially on a mini) will cause motion blur in videos. I could be wrong there however and I am certainly no professional photographer.

So to start I don't have filters so I can't answer from a real world expereince, but I would think it would work fine. The ND filters I have seen fit the gimbal fairly well without protruding beyond the normal footprint.

With that said I have thought about buying some filters but haven't as I don't do much still photography with my mini. My understanding is that ND filters (especially on a mini) will cause motion blur in videos. I could be wrong there however and I am certainly no professional photographer.

Last week, I finally received the ND16 filter I ordered, and it's been extremely windy ever since! :( I'm going to attempt flying today, but there's heavy fog right now. I'll post a video if I can get some decent footage. I'm no professional... but from everything I've read, it'll just make photos and video much better in daylight than stock.

Reactions: twiz1234
You may want to power-up the mini,then add your lens hood,and then add the filter so you can slowly go through the movements of your camera to check for clearance issues.
I think the ND is great for adding motion blur to video.I don't find much benefit to photography with my drones,other than blurring the movement of water with a stable drone and a strong filter, or getting rid of the "jumpyness" a fast shutter can add. The brightness of the scene will dictate the strength of the ND filter required.
A POLARIZED filter on the other hand is directionally dependent on the location of the sun for optimum results,but my results in capture have benefitted from their use.At times I prefer no polarizer and do the majority of my post starting with a "flat" photo.Some of my shots on the past could have been better wihhout a polarizer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vapor069

For most purposes don't need ND filters for still photography. I shouldn't say that..Dale D. has some terrific water shots on the forum using them. The blur that you get by cutting down the light and needing a slow shutter speed is desired to give a more natural look to nearby movement with video. There are many examples on you tube.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc