DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini - Gimball Issue in Photo Mode

Mmilo1971

Reactions
Hey Pilots,
I discovered an issue with the gimball tilt when Photo mode is active (I didn't get the same issue when recording clips with the MM).

If you are in Photo Mode and if you set your gimball at a 90 ° angle and you start to take picture moving forward at a certain point the gimbal will set itself to 82° .... so if you want to take a series of photos at 90 ° from above, you must manually correct the inclination of the gimball ..... and if you want to make a photogrammetric survey .... the issue starts to be boring.

This it the video of the issue:

Please let me know if you have the same issue or not ....
Ciao
Max

This happens in video mode too, and has been discussed in several threads. Cine mode seems to be much less susceptible to this gimbal jump issue. I believe it is linked to the fact that the gimbal can mechanically reach +20deg to -110deg (ie looking slightly backwards underneath the drone) but in sport mode, for example the drone body can tilt up to 30deg, so there;s not enough spare movement at the ends of the gimbal range to maintain stabilisation. It doesn't fully explain why it "jumps" when not in sport mode though.

Reactions: m80116
I think you should bring this to DJI's attention directly.

This happens in video mode too, and has been discussed in several threads. Cine mode seems to be much less susceptible to this gimbal jump issue. I believe it is linked to the fact that the gimbal can mechanically reach +20deg to -110deg (ie looking slightly backwards underneath the drone) but in sport mode, for example the drone body can tilt up to 30deg, so there;s not enough spare movement at the ends of the gimbal range to maintain stabilisation. It doesn't fully explain why it "jumps" when not in sport mode though.
If I understand correctly this would affect only backwards movement. If gimbal is at -90deg in S mode, drone is hovering, and if we then go backward (drone tilt 30deg) then gimbal will need -120deg, but it has just -110deg.

But if we go forward drone will tilt -30deg so gimbal should be at -60deg, and that should not be a problem.

It definitely happens when flying backward in sport mode. It also happens to a lesser extent when flying backwards in P mode. Theoretically it shouldn't need to though. If you point the gimbal straight ahead (0deg) and fly forwards in S mode you'll see it jump down by a few degrees. There's allegedly 35deg of headroom so it shouldn't need to jump down at all... but it does.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803