DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Headwinds

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160650

A long time ago when I was in Florida I decided to fly a mile or two off the coast and had a spotter with me. I was filming a Fargo ship and when I tried to turn back I was only going 4mph I thought I was screwed. That raised the question to me what is the headwind capacity of the mavic mini. This is the video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi there & welcome to the forum 👋 :D

...what is the headwind capacity of the mavic mini.
Below is straight out from the specs for a Mini ... it's the maximum air speeds in the different modes. (RTH operates with P-mode speeds).

If your Mini is fighting an equal high head wind speed it will not achieve any ground speed at all ... if the head wind is even higher, the Mini will be blown backwards.

1645793235828.png

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

That raised the question to me what is the headwind capacity of the mavic mini.
Every 1mph of headwind the drone has to fight, takes 1 mph off the drone's speed over the ground.
Since the Mini isn't a fast drone, it doesn't take much wind to cause a significant problem.
It's important that you plant your flight so that don't put the drone in a situation where it will have a long flight home against a strong wind.

Hello from the Crossroads of America MavicMiniFlyer.

If you haven't done it yet, take the TRUST test and have a copy with you when you fly.

VLOS flights are one of the bullet points of safe flying.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome from just east of you. Nice video, and this morning aren't we wishing we were back in Florida?!

To this day it still amazes me just how much more power the Mini 2 has. Occasionally I will launch my Mavic Mini and I'm immediately faced with the thought "oh yeah, the wind." Happy flying!

Hi there & welcome to the forum 👋 :D

Below is straight out from the specs for a Mini ... it's the maximum air speeds in the different modes. (RTH operates with P-mode speeds).

If your Mini is fighting an equal high head wind speed it will not achieve any ground speed at all ... if the head wind is even higher, the Mini will be blown backwards.

View attachment 144484
Mini is definitely not for that type of flying. Mavic 3 is a freaking beast in the wind.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Mini is definitely not for that type of flying. Mavic 3 is a freaking beast in the wind.
Hah! I only have the Mavic 3 and the FPV so when it gets windy....like 20mph or more, I take out the FPV because I think if the M3 as my drone that can't really handle wind :). I guess if I had a mini and an M3 my thoughts would be how great the M3 is when dealing with wind! The offset is the M3 having so much better battery life so even if you have to crawl back against a wind you have much more flying time, so there is that...

The offset is the M3 having so much better battery life so even if you have to crawl back against a wind you have much more flying time, so there is that...

And doesn't the M3 have a super-duper zoom?

You wouldn't have to fly as far to capture the content. 🙂

I’m registered and have done the trust test. Vlos is one of the most important rules of flying! I’ve actually had a prop fly off when it was not properly screwed on. I was about 200ft away at about 400ft and luckily I had it in sight!

And a bit of an expensive wind generator.
Hey! Great idea! On a hot summer day I could just hover my drone above me....put it on follow....and I could even walk the dog with a nice breeze from above!

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKAms