DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini ignored controller and smashed into tree. Please help.

Harvz911

Reactions
Hi,
Been using mavic mini for a week and had no trouble at all. Did 3 flights today in the same area and on the 3rd flight the drone was working fine for 2 minutes then went unresponsive and flew straight into tree (Gimbal broke away from drone). Was less than 100 meters away and 40 meters high. Would be brilliant if someone could read the flight log and see where I have gone wrong so I can take that into account for future drones. Been reading the forum for 3 weeks and seen brilliant tips and advice. I have also uploaded flight plans to air data.com.
If anyone could help would be very grateful Thumbswayup

If on Airdata already proceed to push that green button in upper right corner, specify what to share, hit generate share link and post it here ...

2019-12-30_23-22-20.jpg

OK ... some fishy yaw movement starts 01m54.1s & finalizes an approx 90 degree turn until 01m54.5s according the HD flight Player ... this without any stick movements, wind or compass sensor errors at that time, compass errors occur only in the very end probably due to the hard landing.

Crash gurus like @sar104 certainly want to look at the .DAT file also ... so go here --> Flight log analysis guide
and have a look under point 3. how to retrieve it from your device ... post then the .DAT from the flight by using the "Attach files" button below your post.

The problem was caused by errors in the IMU velocity calculation following the CW yaw starting at 107 seconds:

Delta_V.png

This is now the third Mavic Mini event I've seen with this signature. The mobile device DAT file would probably be helpful. However - the other two events are still largely unexplained.

Thanks for getting back to much appreciated.
Struggling to get the DAT file due to using iPhone but not having access to iTunes due to only having android tablet( if I've read it correct). Will be able to get onto iTunes tomorrow unless there is a different way to do it.
Thank you

From the csv file there is not much wind but in the last 9 seconds, the roll angle changed from +11 deg to - 15 deg with basically no aileron stick input. The drone was in tripod mode so stick input should have little effect on the attitude anyway. It could be either the sensors were faulty or there were disturbance in the GPS signals or local magnetic field. In this case I believe the IMU being faulty or the sensor fusion engine not working properly are more likely causes.

My M2P has once behaved like this but it was in a city environment. It was hovering fine at the beginning but all of a sudden, it flew straight backward by itself. Fortunately it was still under control and I managed to bring it back and land it safely. As you were in tripod mode, there was not much you could have done. In my case it could have been caused by magnetic field disturbance as there were tram cables around. Another possibility is GPS signal error due to reflections off metal-coated glass curtains on surrounding buildings. The problem has never occurred again so the drone should not be blamed.

Last edited:
Reactions: m80116
From the csv file there is not much wind but in the last 9 seconds, the roll angle changed from +11 deg to - 15 deg with basically no aileron stick input. The drone was in tripod mode so stick input should have little effect on the attitude anyway. It could be either the sensors were faulty or there were disturbance in the GPS signals or local magnetic field. In this case I believe the IMU being faulty or the sensor fusion engine not working properly are more likely causes.

My M2P has once behaved like this but it was in a city environment. It was hovering fine at the beginning but all of a sudden, it flew straight backward by itself. Fortunately it was still under control and I managed to bring it back and land it safely. As you were in tripod mode, there was not much you could have done. In my case it could have been caused by magnetic field disturbance as there were tram cables around. Another possibility is GPS signal error due to reflections off metal-coated glass curtains on surrounding buildings. The problem has never occurred again so the drone should not be blamed.

Thank you

Reactions: Harvz911
Hi,
Been using mavic mini for a week and had no trouble at all. Did 3 flights today in the same area and on the 3rd flight the drone was working fine for 2 minutes then went unresponsive and flew straight into tree (Gimbal broke away from drone). Was less than 100 meters away and 40 meters high. Would be brilliant if someone could read the flight log and see where I have gone wrong so I can take that into account for future drones. Been reading the forum for 3 weeks and seen brilliant tips and advice. I have also uploaded flight plans to air data.com.
If anyone could help would be very grateful Thumbswayup
i thought these mavics had that radar in front and underneath to prevent that , or does the mini not have that

I've lost my mini as well, and made a post about it in this forum.

I am starting to think that these Mini drones are far less electronically stable than their bigger and more tested counterparts.

Hi,
When I go into mcdotflightrecords it shows no files in there. Going to send drone back to DJI and see what they say. Thanks for everyone’s help and I keep you updated of the outcome

Attachments

• 0DF930A6-DECF-41B6-A354-2BF04B03497A.jpeg
    0DF930A6-DECF-41B6-A354-2BF04B03497A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 8CC68A2B-09BF-4899-B396-B413A6CF6FF7.jpeg
    8CC68A2B-09BF-4899-B396-B413A6CF6FF7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Hi,
When I go into mcdotflightrecords it shows no files in there. Going to send drone back to DJI and see what they say. Thanks for everyone’s help and I keep you updated of the outcome

Unfortunately there have been a number of cases now where the DAT files don't seem to be created.

Thank you anyway. Do you recommend I just send it
Back to dji and let them figure out what happened ?

That would be my recommendation - but you might want to point out to them that it looks like an IMU problem.

Hi,
Just thought I would let you know dgi replaced my drone under warranty.
They said the reason was
“Data analysis tells us that there was the compass calibration issue found that affected the flight.“
Just thought I would let you know, thank you for your help.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc