DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Lens Hood Protective Cover

I got one to help with one specific problem: When the sun is low and the drone is swinging toward the sun, but just before it's in frame, the light entering from the side and bouncing around inside the lens causes the Mini to change the white balance such that there's a purple tinge, and the contrast drops noticeably. Theoretically, lens hoods improve contrast at least a little whenever there is light entering the lens from the side, including strong reflected light. I use lens hoods on my DSLR whenever I'm shooting outside. However, I have to admit I haven't done any with/without comparison tests on the Mini hood. I should try to do that tomorrow.

I tested today to see if these lens hoods can prevent the purple tinge and contrast problem I mentioned above, and the short answer is that they do not. I'll just post one frame that shows it. It was actually worse in my test with the lens hood on, but I think that was probably because of shifting clouds -- I didn't go back and test again. Looking at the geometry again at the point the problem happens, I think these hoods are really too short to afford any significant protection from side light. However, they do appear to provide some protection for the camera in a head-on crash, so I may still use it.
DJI_0048-1.jpg

Yeah, they don't do much of anything but add weight and catch wind possibly causing a lot of drag.
Maybe they help protect the gimbal, but protect it from what?
Just like those sun shades for tablets. Those things don't work,the sun is above you, you have your tablet facing semi upward facing the sun, or the sun is behind you and the tablet is facing the sun behind you. I have a drawer with four or more of those tablet shades in it. All different sizes and shapes. None work unless the sun is low and always in front of you, then it's marginal.

I tested today to see if these lens hoods can prevent the purple tinge and contrast problem I mentioned above, and the short answer is that they do not. I'll just post one frame that shows it. It was actually worse in my test with the lens hood on, but I think that was probably because of shifting clouds -- I didn't go back and test again. Looking at the geometry again at the point the problem happens, I think these hoods are really too short to afford any significant protection from side light. However, they do appear to provide some protection for the camera in a head-on crash, so I may still use it.
View attachment 102645

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki