DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini On Vacation in Europe?

mdreuben

Reactions
We will be in Barcelona, Amsterdam, and London for a little over two weeks starting on Thanksgiving. Most time will be spent in the metropolitan areas.

I'm considering taking my Mini, which should arrive by the time we leave the US. However, if there are going to be a lot of places that we can't fly, perhaps it won't be worth the effort?

All advice is appreciated!

You can’t fly in populated area here in the UK, so London is definitely a big no. Spain is the same, and I would imagine the Netherlands are too as they use the same EU laws.

ETA - drone weight makes no difference here, the same laws apply regardless.

Reactions: Mavic 57
The good news you don't have to register with the CAA a drone weighing less 250g, it is exempt.

The bad news you have to comply with CAA Drone law whether it's s Mavic Mini or a Mavic 2 etc.

I refer to the UK.
We will be in Barcelona, Amsterdam, and London for a little over two weeks starting on Thanksgiving. Most time will be spent in the metropolitan areas.

I'm considering taking my Mini, which should arrive by the time we leave the US. However, if there are going to be a lot of places that we can't fly, perhaps it won't be worth the effort?

On my last trip to Europe I took my Dobby and the only places I did use it was in rural villages in Germany, basically all metropolitan areas are a no go.

Your mileage may vary

Vinny

You can’t fly in populated area here in the UK, so London is definitely a big no. Spain is the same, and I would imagine the Netherlands are too as they use the same EU laws.

ETA - drone weight makes no difference here, the same laws apply regardless.
That’s not true. The new EU regulations allow 250g drones to be flown nearly anywhere, without license or testing, including over uninvolved people.

That’s not true. The new EU regulations allow 250g drones to be flown nearly anywhere, without license or testing, including over uninvolved people.
The EU Regs don’t cover the UK, we have our own, and the weight doesn’t matter one bit. The Air Navigation Order states the law applies to drones of 20kg or less, with no lower limit.

As for Barcelona and Amsterdam you’ll find they have local bylaws forbidding drones flying in populated areas, much like Paris and other big cities in Europe.

See this thread for more Flying in Madrid & Barcelona Spain

Reactions: Mavic 57
The FAA rules that clears the Mini for now has no meaning in other countries

are you sure of what you are saying here ?

France (i am from France) has a pretty strict drone law and no matter what or the size : it is forbidden the fly over urban area/crowds

so Paris area is a no go (which i admit i violated many times at my own risks though)

even if you have a license, which is mandatory in france for drones like mavic 2, in france you cannot fly over congested areas

The EU Regs don’t cover the UK, we have our own, and the weight doesn’t matter one bit. The Air Navigation Order states the law applies to drones of 20kg or less, with no lower limit.

As for Barcelona and Amsterdam you’ll find they have local bylaws forbidding drones flying in populated areas, much like Paris and other big cities in Europe.

I’m replying to your statement that those countries use the same EU laws (as the UK). The new laws, in effect from July 2020, allow 250g drones to be flown over people. Until Brexit actually occurs, this will be the case.

Until Brexit actually occurs, this will be the case.

I'll be amazed if Brexit occurs.... :)

OP is coming this month, so any laws coming into force in July won't help them. Plus, as others have posted - EU blanket laws can be and are superseded by local by-laws.

If you have a look at the new drone code they specify

From 30th November 2019 and for drones over 250g, you must pass the drone test and register with the CAA before you fly

So that where things will stand. Weight will matter.

If you have a look at the new drone code they specify

From 30th November 2019 and for drones over 250g, you must pass the drone test and register with the CAA before you fly

So that where things will stand. Weight will matter.
That only covers registration.

The rest of the laws around where you can fly and where you can’t fly still apply.

Specifically the ANO covering states the laws apply to 'aircraft that have a mass of 20kg or less' - so it really doesn’t matter how light the weight is.

Source; caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unma…

Reactions: Bernd2019
There are two versions of mavic mini. One for usa market with fcc compliant transmiter standard and one for europe ce standard. You will buy american version you said. Question is if you will be able to fly it in europe since drone version is not compliant with europe ce regulations and it will (maybe) geoblocked. And contra ofcourse will europe tourists traveling to usa be able to fly they ce mini in usa.

In the Netherlands, the weight does not matter (as long as <25kg). You can find the areas where you can or can't fly here:
Overzichtskaart vliegen met drones | ministerie van Infrastructuur en Milieu

The colors mean this:
  • Red: not allowed to fly (Almost entire Amsterdam area is within a red zone...)
  • Orange: limits apply (generally; make sure you have someone with you to spot the surroundings, as they are special zones where for example the airforce trains with low-level flying
  • Green: Nature reserves, where the rules are determined by the owner of the premises (not centrally ruled, and therefore often unclear what is and what isn't allowed).
General rules for recreational use:
  • VLOS always
  • Max altitude: 120m
  • Only between sunrise and sunset
  • Not over groups of people
  • Not over built-up areas

Reactions: Freepack88

Partially true: under 250gr is considered to be a toy and therefore does not require registration.
UNLESS this drone has a "sensor able to capture personal data" (also known as a camera), in which case registration is required regardless of weight.

Reactions: Lastrexking
We will be in Barcelona, Amsterdam, and London for a little over two weeks starting on Thanksgiving....

So, how did the trip go? I’m flying to Barcelona in 3 weeks, will have rental car, staying in downtown but driving North-East 30km to Parets for work Mon - Fri

The good news you don't have to register with the CAA a drone weighing less 250g, it is exempt.

The bad news you have to comply with CAA Drone law whether it's s Mavic Mini or a Mavic 2 etc.

I refer to the UK.
New European ESEA registration requirements are coming into force July 2020, any drone with a camera regardless of weight will require to follow addition rules \ registration

New European ESEA registration requirements are coming into force July 2020, any drone with a camera regardless of weight will require to follow addition rules \ registration

About Spain, you can fly mavic mini everywhere (cities, beach, over people) EXCEPT aircontrolled airspace. Unfortunatelly, that's the case of Barcelona city..

Please, refer here:

ENAIRE Drones

Reactions: iExp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54