DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini or GoPro Karma Drone?

adamkiwi07

Reactions
What should I get? I am just getting my first drone and I am wondering which to get? PLEASE HELP :)))

My advice is simple. Do not buy a drone that does not have readily available repair facilities and ability- and parts. The thing with cheap non-DJI drones is that you WILL crash them. They don't have the control and stability of even the cheapest DJI drones.

Seconded, this hobby is highly addictive. If you go for the Mini 1, not that it isn't a very good drone, you'll kick yourself in 2 months that you didn't spend the extra [insert national currency here] to pay up for the Mini 2. The difference in price between a Mini 1 and Mini 2 isn't that much but the Mini 2 is so much better in ways that count.

My advice is simple. Do not buy a drone that does not have readily available repair facilities and ability- and parts. The thing with cheap non-DJI drones is that you WILL crash them. They don't have the control and stability of even the cheapest DJI drones.

Seconded, this hobby is highly addictive. If you go for the Mini 1, not that it isn't a very good drone, you'll kick yourself in 2 months that you didn't spend the extra [insert national currency here] to pay up for the Mini 2. The difference in price between a Mini 1 and Mini 2 isn't that much but the Mini 2 is so much better in ways that count.
Is the Mavic Mini 2 much better? Worth the upgrade even if I don't have much saved? Thanks!

Is the Mavic Mini 2 much better? Worth the upgrade even if I don't have much saved? Thanks!
There are three big areas where it's better:
  1. Slightly higher resolution video, and ability to take photos in raw mode.
  2. Better radio link between drone and camera. The mini 2 can fly further away from you before it loses signal.
  3. Stronger motors, which gives it an ability to handle higher winds.
I have the original mini, and I won't upgrade, at least not for a while. But I'd be seriously considering a mini 2 if I were in the market for a new drone.

But don't forget to budget for extra batteries at least, and probably the two-way charging hub. The fly more combo package gives very useful accessories at an attractive price.

I'd prefer the mavic mini fly more combo over the mavic mini 2 plain drone with controller. It gets more complicated if you have an ongoing budget and you might want to upgrade either of these.

Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: adamkiwi07
What should I get? I am just getting my first drone and I am wondering which to get? PLEASE HELP :)))
Ah yes ... the good old Karma that was obsolete before it was released back in 2016.
I'd almost forgotten that machine.
Because it's so entertaining, here's a review of the "improved" Karma that GoPro released a few months after recalling the Karma which had a tendency to stop flying.

Simply put, the Mini 1 is a drone you can grow out of. The Mini 2 is a drone you can grow into. Any cheaper non-DJI drone is future dumpster filler. My "first" drone was an Eachine Chinese drone that was supposed to be a poor man's Mavic. It came out of the box defective after waiting 3 weeks for it. Banggood danced around for 3 weeks, did not live up to their warranty obligation. There was NO PLACE in the US to even look at it to see what was wrong or repair it. Banggood wanted me to ship it back to China for $55+ in shipping. Fortunately I documented the nonsense and my bank refunded my money but it was a month of agony trying to get a resolution- a month that I could have been flying. Does that answer your question about an alternate/cheaper brand?

I didn't know what I'd replace it with and debated between the Mini 1 for $500 (with fly more) and Mavic Air 2 with fly more for $1000. Knowing what I know today I probably should have gone with the Mavic Air 2. I went with the Mini 1 and outgrew it within a month and bought a Mavic 2 Pro. When the Mini 2 came out I quickly sold my Mini 1 and upgraded to the Mini 2 and am very happy that I did. Better camera resolution. More features. Ocusync 2 transmission system. But the biggest thing for me was the Mini 2's ability to better withstand the wind. With the Mini 1 I did not fly 50% of the time I would have liked because it just didn't have the horsepower to fight the wind and would have been at risk of a fly away. The Mini 2 is faster and stronger. Just yesterday the wind was predicted at 17mph with 33mph gusts. I'd have never flown with the Mini 1. While cautious not to fly too high or too far I had no issues.

One thing that I've learned over the years is unless money is *really* an issue for a purchase I forget about the cost 30 minutes after writing the check. If I settle for something lesser than what I really want I remember that I settled- forever. If I have to settle for a lesser but similar product knowing that I really wanted somethign else, I just don't buy- period.

I hope this helps you in your decision.

Reactions: adamkiwi07
Simply put, the Mini 1 is a drone you can grow out of. The Mini 2 is a drone you can grow into. Any cheaper non-DJI drone is future dumpster filler. My "first" drone was an Eachine Chinese drone that was supposed to be a poor man's Mavic. It came out of the box defective after waiting 3 weeks for it. Banggood danced around for 3 weeks, did not live up to their warranty obligation. There was NO PLACE in the US to even look at it to see what was wrong or repair it. Banggood wanted me to ship it back to China for $55+ in shipping. Fortunately I documented the nonsense and my bank refunded my money but it was a month of agony trying to get a resolution- a month that I could have been flying. Does that answer your question about an alternate/cheaper brand?

I didn't know what I'd replace it with and debated between the Mini 1 for $500 (with fly more) and Mavic Air 2 with fly more for $1000. Knowing what I know today I probably should have gone with the Mavic Air 2. I went with the Mini 1 and outgrew it within a month and bought a Mavic 2 Pro. When the Mini 2 came out I quickly sold my Mini 1 and upgraded to the Mini 2 and am very happy that I did. Better camera resolution. More features. Ocusync 2 transmission system. But the biggest thing for me was the Mini 2's ability to better withstand the wind. With the Mini 1 I did not fly 50% of the time I would have liked because it just didn't have the horsepower to fight the wind and would have been at risk of a fly away. The Mini 2 is faster and stronger. Just yesterday the wind was predicted at 17mph with 33mph gusts. I'd have never flown with the Mini 1. While cautious not to fly too high or too far I had no issues.

One thing that I've learned over the years is unless money is *really* an issue for a purchase I forget about the cost 30 minutes after writing the check. If I settle for something lesser than what I really want I remember that I settled- forever. If I have to settle for a lesser but similar product knowing that I really wanted somethign else, I just don't buy- period.

I hope this helps you in your decision.
Do you know any websites where I could sell my footage for a little extra money?

Hi Adam. First, yes, definitely a Mini 2. Second, getting quality footage that will reliably sell is easier said than done. Are you already a good photographer or filmmaker? These are the necessary skills. Yes, you also need to be a reasonably good drone pilot - but that bit isn't difficult thanks to DJI's superb product. Ask yourself who will want to spend money? On which subjects? And what quality will they expect? Most will purchase for B-roll use. But is it easier/cheaper for them just to buy their own drone? As for websites, Google will answer that quicker than I can type these words.

Hi Adam. First, yes, definitely a Mini 2. Second, getting quality footage that will reliably sell is easier said than done. Are you already a good photographer or filmmaker? These are the necessary skills. Yes, you also need to be a reasonably good drone pilot - but that bit isn't difficult thanks to DJI's superb product. Ask yourself who will want to spend money? On which subjects? And what quality will they expect? Most will purchase for B-roll use. But is it easier/cheaper for them just to buy their own drone? As for websites, Google will answer that quicker than I can type these words.
Thanks so much! I am only a teenager and I don't have much money saved up. (Around 450 pounds in cash and around 200 pounds invested in stocks and 150 pounds birthday money which ill get laer in April) So I don't know which drone to buy as I don't want to spend all of it at once and also save for my future. I just don't know wether to go for the cheaper or more expensive one. :(

Selling drone footage is harder than you might think. All scripted productions have quite specific requirements for their shot - a very specific framing with a very specific light condition. They are matching other shots in the script.

Real estate has occasional opportunities. Cultivate some real estate agents so they will think of you when their client wants footage of their property.

You can try stock footage houses. They will take footage that meets their standards, and pay you a fraction of what they get if it is licensed to a user. You will need to have some pretty compelling footage to make it sell, as there is a lot of footage out there.

Note that in the US if you fly intending to make money with the drone, you need a part 107 license to do it legally.

Do you know any websites where I could sell my footage for a little extra money?
There are vehicles for that, I'm sure. But it is important for you to know that the FAA has strict rules about flying for any commercial purposes regardless of remuneration or lack thereof. You have to have a FAA Part 107 UAV certificate to be able to do any commercial flying/filming legally. You can start down that road by learning the basic rules and regulations and then decide if you want to study the rest of the material and take the test for your Part 107.

Whether you buy a Mini 1 or Mini 2 or anything else that's up to you. My advice based on my personal experience is, if you think you could get into this hobby, is to start with a DJI drone. FWIW after my negative experience with a cheap Chinese drone my choices at the time for an entry level drone was the Mini 1 and the Mavic Air 2. I chose the Mini 1... and should have paid up for the Mavic Air 2. But I'm ok with a Mini 2 and a Mavic 2 Pro and have no regrets because of the amount of enjoyment they provide.

There are vehicles for that, I'm sure. But it is important for you to know that the FAA has strict rules about flying for any commercial purposes regardless of remuneration or lack thereof. You have to have a FAA Part 107 UAV certificate to be able to do any commercial flying/filming legally. You can start down that road by learning the basic rules and regulations and then decide if you want to study the rest of the material and take the test for your Part 107.

Whether you buy a Mini 1 or Mini 2 or anything else that's up to you. My advice based on my personal experience is, if you think you could get into this hobby, is to start with a DJI drone. FWIW after my negative experience with a cheap Chinese drone my choices at the time for an entry level drone was the Mini 1 and the Mavic Air 2. I chose the Mini 1... and should have paid up for the Mavic Air 2. But I'm ok with a Mini 2 and a Mavic 2 Pro and have no regrets because of the amount of enjoyment they provide.
OP isn’t in America, so the FAA is irrelevant. It’s best to check the persons profile for their location rather than assuming everyone is in the US and giving wrong information to someone new to the subject and confusing them.

Here in the UK, no licence is needed to use a drone for commercial purposes. Anyone can sell their footage.
A licence might be needed for proximity to people and buildings depending on the class of the drone. However, the Mini’s are exempt.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom