DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini over water

Chris M0RSF

Reactions
I'm confused as to whether it's safe to fly a Mavic Mini over water. I have seen some videos that seem to be fine yet I have seen comments that it really isn't a good idea. We go to Anglesey next week to a place where I have stayed before and there is a nice little beach outside the no fly zone that we take the dogs and I want to get some footage.

Thoughts please?

Just watch it carefully if you get down low and be ready to give it full throttle i.e. make it climb.
Most of my proper flights are over the sea and a lot of them have been at a height of about 20m, on the odd occasion I have descended to maybe 18" but that was a vertical descent followed by either a vertical climb or a very carefully watched creep forward.
Transits would be made at 15 to 20m.
My MM is still going strong.
My longest total distance flown over water in one flight must be in excess of 3 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nothing more dangerous with flying over water than flying over solid ground ... actually safer over water as it's usually free of trees & other obstacles that you could fly into.

If something unexpected happens over water the consequence usually means a total loss ... over ground you instead can go & get it, swap props or repair minor thing's if slightly damaged.

Don't go closer to the water than around 10m to avoid odd height changes coming from a VPS sensor slightly confused due to the reflective surface. Also be aware that hovering too low over moving surfaces (streaming water or bigger waves) can make your craft drift in the movement direction. Keep track of the wind direction & velocity and fly preferably out against the wind so the return leg will be less amp consuming. Return home on a higher battery percent than usual to have some extra in case you need it ... you don't want a forced low battery auto landing over water.

That's it ...

When flying over the water you will see a lot of people says its the same as flying over land, but its always followed by :

Dont do This : Dont Do that , Stay above : Watch the Head Wind, be prepared for the Geo fence , Watch your Battery , Dont take off from a Metal Pier and above all watch for Bird Strikes.

The Water is like a Beautiful Siren that is calling out to you, Try this : Try That ; Follow that Boat: Get lower : Go faster : try out the quick shots, and many will fly further out because of the Perfect Line of sight.

I have the Lake in front of me and the River on the side of me , and there always calling out tempting me. ?

The Mini is the Weakest of Drones and more susceptible to the Treachery of the Open Water and the Sirens calling you to it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: OldGuy and cgmaxed
When flying over the water you will see a lot of people says its the same as flying over land, but its always followed by :

Dont do This : Dont Do that , Stay above : Watch the Head Wind, be prepared for the Geo fence , Watch your Battery , Dont take off from a Metal Pier and above all watch for Bird Strikes.

The Water is like a Beautiful Siren that is calling out to you, Try this : Try That ; Follow that Boat: Get lower : Go faster : try out the quick shots, and many will fly further out because of the Perfect Line of sight.

I have the Lake in front of me and the River on the side of me , and there always calling out tempting me. ?

The Mini is the Weakest of Drones and more susceptible to the Treachery of the Open Water and the Sirens calling you to it.

Phantomrain.org
That's funny. But true.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I'm confused as to whether it's safe to fly a Mavic Mini over water. I have seen some videos that seem to be fine yet I have seen comments that it really isn't a good idea. We go to Anglesey next week to a place where I have stayed before and there is a nice little beach outside the no fly zone that we take the dogs and I want to get some footage.

Thoughts please?
Flown my Mini and Air2 over water and no issues as long as above 5 meters. 10 meters is pretty high for some shots, but it is far safer up there than 5. Most of my droning is over moving water - rivers / creeks / waterfalls. As long as you have GPS / sat lock on the drone - flying over water at a safe height (that is your call) is no real big deal. Different story if no sat lock / GPS and flying in ATTI mode. Would not venture down below 10 meters for sure.

Simply take the drone out, fly along the beach (over land) and see how the drone reacts at different heights. Keep it close and watch closely - pay attention to wind speeds for sure. Even at 10 meters, you can still capture good video and pictures.

Reactions: Gbeckwith
Flying a mini over water can be done like any other drone, but there are perils. I often fly over the Ocean here in the Pacific NW where on a calm day it's 3' waves or in the winter 10' to 20' wave heights or more. The best advice I can give based on experience is do not fly lower than 30' and do not wait for the RC to tell you low battery, return home. These are to most common mistakes that often end badly. As pointed out in other posts, if there is a failure of some kind, there is very little chance of recovery. Flying over water is higher risk than over land, but the results can be worthwhile.

Cheers!

Phantomrain.org
Not really any different than flying over an area with lots of obstacles (not water). Risk is always a factor in flying. Some people take more, some less. I am more comfortable flying over water (moving or still) than say around trees on a grade. Those who fly in canyons, gorges, and other such natural wonders will make same Do this, don't do that suggestions.

Some peoples flying capabilities are great and some not (like me). Understanding your limits is key to safe droning and the drone coming home after flight. Giving pointers of what to "watch for" is a help for newbies and those not experienced in flying in such areas / conditions.

Reactions: db4476

Thoughts please?
Altitude can be your friend. I'm still kinda new and not yet accustomed to the controls yet. Was flying over the ship canal in Seattle and sent it down instead of forward, almost fed my Mini to the salmon!

It’s ok to fly over water, just don’t go too low.

I was flying my first Mini 1 and only had it for a couple weeks before it decided to commit suicide, death by drowning. I tested the waters, so to speak, to make sure I wouldn’t have any issues with my first flight over a local river. Everything was good to go so I got brave (stupid) and decided to fly in nice and low. Got some fantastic footage which was really exciting, but excitement turned to horror when my drone began to slowly land itself into the depths of the cold icy blue water. No amount of stick movement on my part would cancel the landing…went and bought another drone…

• Sad
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus