DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Suddenly Landed In The Ocean

ElPadre

Reactions
My mavic mini suddenly became unresponsive and started descending with 50% battery, for my unlucky it landed in water, un responding to my commands to move up or move right to the shore line. i can see in the video how it stops recording right when it dips, is there a way to know what happen? I read about data logs but I am not sure how to find them and view them?
Thank You

BBD95F9D-9A31-4951-9834-076D0F960827.png

I read about data logs but I am not sure how to find them
See this link and upload your log there. If you need assistance in reading the logs, place a link back here to the upload.
Note: Instructions are not there specifically for the mini but they should be similar to GO4.

Log Viewer

See this link and upload your log there. If you need assistance in reading the logs, place a link back here to the upload.
Note: Instructions are not there specifically for the mini but they should be similar to GO4.

Log Viewer
I was able to download it, thank you, Not Enough Force ESC/Error, not sure what that mean but it went down.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-12-28_[13-39-42].txt
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 10.39.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 10.39.39 PM.png
    315 KB · Views: 96
Thank You this is helpful, seams that Cell Deviation got to low, do you know what it means?
It means there was a minor difference between the voltages of the two cells in the battery.
The difference was 1/100th of a volt or less and had nothing to do with the incident.

If you hadn't been in Tripod Mode, you could have flown to shore in time to save the drone but being in Tripod Mode, it wouldn't move quickly.
Your drone behaved normally until about 10:48 when it began descending despite you giving no command input to cause this.
From 10:50.8 you pushed the left joystick up to try to climb but this made very little or no difference to the descent.

I've seen a few similar mysterious cases lately of an uncommanded descent.
'Perhaps @sar104 might have more of an idea what's caused this?

Reactions: Bluepigs
No idea what would have caused it but is it possible that selecting return to home on the phone may have overridden whatever the drone had been following? I've heard of this happening to a few people now. I hope DJI addresses this.

The aircraft responded correctly to all stick inputs except for largely ignoring (or being unable to respond to) throttle input at the end of the flight. It was still responding to elevator and aileron.

Climb.png

There are also some unusual height oscillations throughout the flight, and an 80 second period of OSD_isNotEnoughForce = true.

Climb_1.png

But there are no indications in the log of what caused the uncommanded descent. This has been seen in a few other flights, and is starting to look like a possible bug in the Mini firmware.

Unless I'm missing something, this should be a warranty case.

But there are no indications in the log of what caused the uncommanded descent. This has been seen in a few other flights, and is starting to look like a possible bug in the Mini firmware.

I've spotted 3 or 4 similar cases recently but haven't seen anything in the logs to explain the issue.

Reactions: Brandaloo
Still didn't have such case, but reading more and more about it makes me avoiding flights over water and trees. Few videos i found documanting such behaviour. DJI really should give us an explanation and fix already.

Now all 3 videos have a sequel mostly blaming props, but still would be great to hear from DJI on that matter.

Reactions: Mac Man
The aircraft responded correctly to all stick inputs except for largely ignoring (or being unable to respond to) throttle input at the end of the flight. It was still responding to elevator and aileron.

View attachment 89044

There are also some unusual height oscillations throughout the flight, and an 80 second period of OSD_isNotEnoughForce = true.

View attachment 89045

This guy has been trying to diagnose the NOT ENOUGH FORCE/ESC since his Mini lost altitude and skipped of the ground. Changing the props seems to correct the issue.

This guy has been trying to diagnose the NOT ENOUGH FORCE/ESC since his Mini lost altitude and skipped of the ground. Changing the props seems to correct the issue.
Changing props is unlikely to fix a mysterious and uncommon propulsion issue.
If a set of props work perfectly most of the time, they should work all the time.

Now all 3 videos have a sequel mostly blaming props, but still would be great to hear from DJI on that matter.
I feel the same as you. I have seen the NOT ENOUGH FORCE/ESC reported on a number of crashes/fly aways. If changing the props corrects it, then perhaps some of the Minis are leaving DJI without the props being matched properly. I know in the instruction they say it is very important to use the matched pairs when replacing props.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
Changing props is unlikely to fix a mysterious and uncommon propulsion issue.
If a set of props work perfectly most of the time, they should work all the time.
I agree with you, but it is hard to ignore the evidence that changing the props makes the problem go away, and then replacing the old props reintroduces the fault message.

Personally I don’t think new props is the solution, I’ve flown for weeks now with less than perfect props in all kinds of conditions and not had any issues, seems to me there is some other tolerance at play that need to be resolved by DJI.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Personally I don’t think new props is the solution, I’ve flown for weeks now with less than perfect props in all kinds of conditions and not had any issues, seems to me there is some other tolerance at play that need to be resolved by DJI.
It does seem that some AC are susceptible while others never see the issue.

Reactions: TDZHDTV
First question: were all MM's with this symptom on same firmware?
Second question: what was the ambient and battery temperature? In very cold climates, MM may not have enough heat generated to overcome heat dissipated. Low Battery temps will reduce current capability.

I've not gotten ESC error though I have gotten seemingly appropriate high winds warnings.
I have latest firmware and temps are moderate, 60F or above with battery temp around 45C.

First question: were all MM's with this symptom on same firmware?
Second question: what was the ambient and battery temperature? In very cold climates, MM may not have enough heat generated to overcome heat dissipated. Low Battery temps will reduce current capability.

I've not gotten ESC error though I have gotten seemingly appropriate high winds warnings.
I have latest firmware and temps are moderate, 60F or above with battery temp around 45C.

Unfortunately the firmware version data field in the Mini logs appears to be blank, at least as detected by TXTlogToCSVtool. AirData doesn't seem to find it either though.

For firmware, I figured that. Only one requesting help could answer that. However it would help to know what the firmware is during analysis, since warning algorithms and messages like these change between versions. That could disrupt making accurate trends and correlations.

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661