DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini vs Zino 2 range issue.

OldGuy

Reactions
Reactions: asko
what have they got away with,whoever purchases this will have to obey their countries rules

what have they got away with,whoever purchases this will have to obey their countries rules
Hubsan have an official site in the UK so I suppose their products are legal also many drones use the 5.8 GHz frequency. The only difference as I understand it is that the Mavic Mini transmission power is limited/reduced which gives it a shorter range.
When you bought your first drone did you consider or think about the CE regulations? I know I didn’t.

Hubsan have an official site in the UK so I suppose their products are legal also many drones use the 5.8 GHz frequency. The only difference as I understand it is that the Mavic Mini transmission power is limited/reduced which gives it a shorter range.
When you bought your first drone did you consider or think about the CE regulations? I know I didn’t.
i think you are missing the point of all this ,it is nothing to do with 5.8 or 2.4 the US rules on radiated transmission strength are different to most of the rest of the world, allowing them to send the signal further, and they use 5.8 for RC transmission,whereas we use 5.8 and 2.4 ,and our transmission strength is lower so we get less range this applies to all drones flown in this country,whatever system they use and is not just dji specific,what dji have done with the MM is cater for different countries requirements,and show that they are trying to conform with those rules, and prevent their drones being hacked to bypass the rules,it is an offence to use a transmitter that puts out a signal that is not compliant,and it is very easy for the authorities to check that with equipment already in use ,another problem is a powerful signal interfering with other signals in the same bandwidth although this is less likely with the new systems now in use

Last edited:
i think you are missing the point of all this ,it is nothing to do with 5.8 or 2.4 the US rules on radiated transmission strength are different to most of the rest of the world, allowing them to send the signal further, and they use 5.8 for RC transmission,whereas we use 5.8 and 2.4 ,and our transmission strength is lower so we get less range this applies to all drones flown in this country,whatever system they use and is not just dji specific,what sji have done with the MM is cater for different countries requirements,and show that they are trying to conform with those rules, and prevent their drones being hacked to bypass the rules,it is an offence to use a transmitter that puts out a signal that is not compliant,and it is very easy for the authorities to check that with equipment already in use ,another problem is a powerful signal interfering with other signals in the same bandwidth although this is less likely with the new systems now in use
I don’t think I am missing the point. Basically we have two drone manufacturers selling their products “legally” in Europe but following two different sets of rules. One drone is limited to a shorter range than the other on the same frequency. As you mentioned above:

"our transmission strength is lower so we get less range this applies to all drones flown in this country,whatever system they use".

Reactions: old man mavic
I don’t think I am missing the point. Basically we have two drone manufacturers selling their products “legally” in Europe but following two different sets of rules. One drone is limited to a shorter range than the other on the same frequency. As you mentioned above:

"our transmission strength is lower so we get less range this applies to all drones flown in this country,whatever system they use".
the drone that you are on about in your OP is not in the same league as the MM and even if it could go 6Km distance it would not be flying within the rules ,the MM is a small close range drone which would not be able to be seen at that sort of range anyway

the drone that you are on about in your OP is not in the same league as the MM and even if it could go 6Km distance it would not be flying within the rules ,the MM is a small close range drone which would not be able to be seen at that sort of range anyway
I am not questioning the quality of the Mavic Mini in fact the opposite. I just want to know why an inferior product has/is allowed to have a greater range. Whether or not you use that range is irreverent. I am sure other Mavic Pilots are on the same page as me judging by the number of posts in Mavic Mini Discussions on this subject of CE vs FCC versions of the Mavic Mini.

to me the reason is this DJI themselves have come under a lot of criticism because there drones can fly way beyond VLOS, and they are trying to work closely with the rule makers to show that their drones comply with the new rules and regs that are being rolled out around the globe

Reactions: Thomas B
to me the reason is this DJI themselves have come under a lot of criticism because there drones can fly way beyond VLOS, and they are trying to work closely with the rule makers to show that their drones comply with the new rules and regs that are being rolled out around the globe
I am sure you are right. It has to be something like this.

I'm Mavic Mini owner, I even sold my old Phantom 3 because I like its portability. The Zino 2 promise a lot, and probably will come without geo fence and CE range limitation, but it is almost 4 times heavier than the MINI. If you need a super portable drone, the Mini is number 1 option.
In this Zino 2 vs Mavic Mini you can find all the difference between these two drones.

I'm Mavic Mini owner, I even sold my old Phantom 3 because I like its portability. The Zino 2 promise a lot, and probably will come without geo fence and CE range limitation, but it is almost 4 times heavier than the MINI. If you need a super portable drone, the Mini is number 1 option.
In this Zino 2 vs Mavic Mini you can find all the difference between these two drones.
I couldn’t agree with you more. The Mavic Mini is a superior drone to the Zino 2 with one big downside and that is the CE range limitation. For this reason and this reason alone I have returned mine. Other drone manufacturers do not seem to be tied to this regulation as there are many models available “legally” I suppose which far exceed the CE range limitation.
As old man mavic says it is probably DJI trying to work closely with the rule makers to show that their drones comply with the new rules and regulations that are being rolled out around the globe!
However I have not given up on the Mavic Mini as I now have access to the FCC version.
By the way I did not say that I have purchased one as that my be illegal!?

I don't think Hubsan is getting away with anything. I think they're advertising a 6KM range as their max range. Just like how with DJI they advertises 4KM for everyone on their video and website. However, when you read the small print, it says 4KM for FCC and 2KM CE.

I think the CE compliant version of the Zino 2 would probably have a range of 3KM, meanwhile the FCC mode/version would reach 6KM

i have the mini , just ordered the zino 2, i will post back later.
Will be interested in your opinion after flying both. A comparison between the two is a bit uneven due to size, weight etc but it’s the range of the Zino 2 that has caught my attention.

I don't think Hubsan is getting away with anything. I think they're advertising a 6KM range as their max range. Just like how with DJI they advertises 4KM for everyone on their video and website. However, when you read the small print, it says 4KM for FCC and 2KM CE.

I think the CE compliant version of the Zino 2 would probably have a range of 3KM, meanwhile the FCC mode/version would reach 6KM

Newbie here, looking at either the Mavic Mini or the Zino 2. Not ordered either. I am in NZ. Can someone jut explain what they mean by FCC or CE? Are the Mavic Mini configured differently depending on country?

Newbie here, looking at either the Mavic Mini or the Zino 2. Not ordered either. I am in NZ. Can someone jut explain what they mean by FCC or CE? Are the Mavic Mini configured differently depending on country?
the FCC version is for the US only and uses 5.8 gh wifi the CE is for everywhere else and uses 5.8 and 2.4 and has a lower power controller that complies with the radio transmission,laws of those countries

I have just picked up on this ad for the Zino 2 with a range of 6 Km. No mention of FCC/CE rules. So how is it that Hubsan can get away with it but not DJI with the Mavic Mini?

Why are you assuming they are getting away with anything? There's nothing to suggest they are not following the rules.

You've seen that the Mavic 2 has different ranges depending on territory?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman