DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini vs Zino 2 range issue.

Why are you assuming they are getting away with anything? There's nothing to suggest they are not following the rules.

You've seen that the Mavic 2 has different ranges depending on territory?
I didn’t think anyone would comment further on this thread. I thought old man mavic and myself had put it to bed last December?

So buying a Mavic Mini in NZ will mean CE, hence less power controller, less range?
If you want to increase the range of the CE version of the Mavic Mini there are hacks which will trick the MM into thinking that it is in the USA thus switching it to FCC mode. I have tried this myself and it does work. However there are risks. Would I recommend it….no! Would I try it again in the future...maybe.
Search the forum and you will find more info on this hack.

So buying a Mavic Mini in NZ will mean CE, hence less power controller, less range?
No, NZ gets the FCC variant like Australia. FCC variant is sold in USA, Canada, China, Australia and New Zealand.

Newbie here, looking at either the Mavic Mini or the Zino 2. Not ordered either. I am in NZ. Can someone jut explain what they mean by FCC or CE? Are the Mavic Mini configured differently depending on country?

I have both a MMini, and a Hubsan Zino Pro. While the Zino 2 has a higher performance the the Zino Pro, you're really comparing apples and oranges.....and your choice should depend on what your objective is. Either drone has enough range distance to exceed your ability to maintain visual sight of the flight. The MM is very small and portable, and its light weight allows you to avoid any drone registration requirements in NZ. But it is underpowered, and very susceptible to wind gusts, etc. Many people have flown away down a tailwind, and can't return back up the headwinds.

The Zino 2 weighs a kilo, with 3x the battery capacity. It competes more with DJI's Mavic 1. One thing that you should really research is whether the Zino has any visual sensors whatsoever. From what I can tell, the Zino relies on GPS ONLY, for navigation. My Zino Pro advertises 'pinpoint landing'. It is has no downward sensors at all, and requires the use of a landing pad. It uses its camera to optically land from where it took off.....The MM doesn't have many more sensors, but at least it measures altitude.

I'm not certain, but it looks like the Zino 2 has 'pinpoint landing' also.....Hubsan seems to have put their money into their radio link, and camera/gimbal.....at the expense of navigation tools.

You might want to consider a DJI Mavic Air. It's small, portable, and well built.

Hope helpful,

Cheers

I have both a MMini, and a Hubsan Zino Pro. While the Zino 2 has a higher performance the the Zino Pro, you're really comparing apples and oranges.....and your choice should depend on what your objective is. Either drone has enough range distance to exceed your ability to maintain visual sight of the flight. The MM is very small and portable, and its light weight allows you to avoid any drone registration requirements in NZ. But it is underpowered, and very susceptible to wind gusts, etc. Many people have flown away down a tailwind, and can't return back up the headwinds.

The Zino 2 weighs a kilo, with 3x the battery capacity. It competes more with DJI's Mavic 1. One thing that you should really research is whether the Zino has any visual sensors whatsoever. From what I can tell, the Zino relies on GPS ONLY, for navigation. My Zino Pro advertises 'pinpoint landing'. It is has no downward sensors at all, and requires the use of a landing pad. It uses its camera to optically land from where it took off.....The MM doesn't have many more sensors, but at least it measures altitude.

I'm not certain, but it looks like the Zino 2 has 'pinpoint landing' also.....Hubsan seems to have put their money into their radio link, and camera/gimbal.....at the expense of navigation tools.

You might want to consider a DJI Mavic Air. It's small, portable, and well built.

Hope helpful,

Cheers
Thanks for all your information, see range is important to me as was looking to fly it over water and around some cliffs so I will be out of eye of sight for some of my flight. No previous drone experience, just looking to get into it. Thinking either MM or Zino 2. Thoughts?

.... fly it over water and around some cliffs so I will be out of eye of sight for some of my flight ...
If you have a cliff face between you and your drone, it doesn't matter if it's a Mini or Zino - you face a big possibility of having to take a swim to get it back!

Ok good to know, may have to change my position of take off then so cliff is on the other side.
Yes - you'll find that the drone will most probably lose signal once it goes out of line of sight. Apart from the legal issues of flying it that way (our UK Drone reg's ban that!), it may be that the loss of signal will prompt a RTH ... If all goes well, that will get your drone back to you - but - it also puts your drone in a situation where the RTH course/speed/altitude may not be right for the conditions, and you could lose it due to the height of the cliffs, or local wind etc.

Technically they are the same, but when you fly in UK your firmware based on gps data switches transmission signal And you are in CE mode, Take that drone to USA and it will fly with stronger signal im FCC. It’s all in the firmware I belive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs