DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini won't launch from grass

cameraz

Reactions
Yesterday, I put my Mavic Mini down in a grassy field to launch it. The grass was fairly matted down by both foot and vehicle traffic -- I'd say it was no more than 1-inch high. The propeller blades were not touching it.

I moved both of my remote's joysticks down to start the props spinning. I then released them both, and pushed the left joystick forward to take off, and the propellers stopped spinning. An error message flashed on the screen, but since I wasn't wearing my reading glasses I couldn't quite make it out.

After several unsuccessful tries, I turned around an noticed there were some 2-foot-tall posts sticking out of the ground behind me. So I put my drone on top of one of the posts, and tried to launch again. This time it took off with no problem.

I'm wondering why the Mini would take off from the grass? ?

Mate I haven't had that problem with my Mini, and I used to take off from serious areas. Hand launch most of the time now. Would love to know what the error message was.
Regards

I moved both of my remote's joysticks down to start the props spinning. I then released them both, and pushed the left joystick forward to take off, and the propellers stopped spinning. An error message flashed on the screen, but since I wasn't wearing my reading glasses I couldn't quite make it out.
The message will be in your recorded data for the "flight".

Reactions: cameraz
the Mini is very close to the ground ,and it could have been because the gimbal was unable to do its startup dance,

Yesterday, I put my Mavic Mini down in a grassy field to launch it. The grass was fairly matted down by both foot and vehicle traffic -- I'd say it was no more than 1-inch high. The propeller blades were not touching it.

After several unsuccessful tries, I turned around an noticed there were some 2-foot-tall posts sticking out of the ground behind me. So I put my drone on top of one of the posts, and tried to launch again. This time it took off with no problem.

Could be as the props started blowing the grass around it was hitting the props even if you couldn't see it. May I suggest picking up a portable landing pad. They work great on grass and snow to avoid those issues. I always use one because I try to avoid pavement as it usually has rebar or steel of some kind in it which causes compass errors.

Reactions: Capt KO and cameraz

I use a piece of astro turf.... artificial grass to put my air 2 on for take off. Soccer pitch standard is heavy enough to flatten any type of grass but light enough to carry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre