DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic minis life expectancy

In Europe and UK about 3 years once the new ESEA regulations come into force, it will be classed as a legacy aircraft and eventually you’ll have to stay 150m away from uninvolved people, which will make flying even more difficult
TDZ, I thought the new EU rules will be in effect this summer 2020, 2022. Has anything changed?

Reactions: LankALank
@Saigondroner gave a very good answer
really there is no definitive life expectancy of the MM or any other drone
if it is not crashed,then it really depends on many things
how often it flies ,where it flies,how well its maintained,and many many more variables
Hi, I'm as newbie as one can get, with around 7 hours of experience flying a MM. What in your opinion would constitute as drone maintenance? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: LankALank
Hi, I'm as newbie as one can get, with around 7 hours of experience flying a MM. What in your opinion would constitute as drone maintenance? Thanks in advance.
I would take Drone maintenance as making sure the screws are tight make sure that has fresh propellers making sure everythings installed correctly.Keeping it clean all the above I would take seriously that’s just my perspective on things because I make sure my Mavic mini stays clean I wipe it down I check all the screws I make sure the gimbals right make sure the propellers are tight before I even take it out to fly

Reactions: Saigondroner

IMHO, the #1 is properly maintaining the batteries. They are very expensive, and improper care will kill them quickly.

MM batteries are fairly smart, and manage themselves to a good degree. LiIon batteries tend to work well, and then just stop. No problem for a mobile phone, But is very bad for a drone in-flight. DJI manages this well.

The MM manual has a good explanation how to care for batteries.

I live in the tropics, and am plagued with corrosion, normally electrolytic. USB & Lightning cables turn green, etc. I use WD-40 sparingly on connections, never motors.

DJI recommends checking the props after every 30 hours of flight time. Loctite blue thread locker is good stuff for the screws, if you have replaced any props.

It is not as cumbersome as it sounds. But MM batteries cost $79! I try to replace batteries as infrequently as possible.

Cheers!

By reading this forum, seems the life expectancy is about 15 minutes, that would be from the time the drone is unboxed to the first take off and fly away in high wind. :)

Now now, I survived lunch :)

Yep, there are a lot of very nice and helpful experts here in the group.
Your question is tricky to answer; most drone failures are due to operator error. Some members estimate >80% of drone crashes or losses are due to human mistakes.

If a MM doesn't crash, I could see it lasting for 10+ years. The only "wear items" are the batteries & propellers. Batteries plump up or don't hold charges well after 2-3 years. Props are under heavy loading, and will start to degrade after 6-8 months....and should be replaced.

The issues with the MM's props being too weak, and floppy makes their replacement schedule a serious matter of debate. I have an 8 year old Parrot Bebop 2 that runs perfectly, except the battery is now dead. I haven't wanted to buy a new battery.

Best...

Let me tell my history:

My first drone was a DJI Phantom Vision 2, bought new in 2014. It was a new model from DJI. For 6 or 8 months I used the equipment a lot, without any failure.

I had full confidence in the product. Winter came, I kept the drone, I was about 8 to 10 months without flying, without turning on the equipment.

When I try turn the drone on, I found out that the video transmission from the drone to the cell phone stopped working, everything worked, except this transmission. After a lot of research on the forums, I discovered that this is the result of an engineering flaw in this model: DJI used low quality components, a memory that loses its content and corrupts if it is not energized regularly.

Me and thousands of other buyers of this model, now have these drones that do not transmit video in their cabinets.

Those interested in knowing all the details just visit

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus Blank Screen Corrupt NAND fix - FAQ and Background Details

Why do I say that? Because I swore to myself that I wouldn't buy anything else from DJI. This lasted until this year, when I decided to buy the Mavic Mini, but I already suspect that it has other design flaws, with so many reports of Mavics disappearing, landing alone, etc.

Today I really want to fly my Mavic Mini, but I'm afraid that it will get out of control on its own.

I have 25 years of experience in radio controlled models: airplanes of all sizes, cars, helicopters and drones - I know how to assess atmospheric conditions, space around me, safety. And drones are the ones with the most embedded technology, which is good and bad at the same time. There are more things to fail.

Now I'm thinking that my Mavic Mini is an expensive, non-reusable toy.

Every time I take off with my Mavic Mini I think it’s the last time I’ll see it. I already accept that as reality, so I won't be sad afterwards. Every time he comes back to me it's a new chance I got to play. I've already made 10 flights, so far each flight has cost me $ 40. Each time he returns, my cost per flight decreases.

Let me tell my history:

My first drone was a DJI Phantom Vision 2, bought new in 2014. It was a new model from DJI. For 6 or 8 months I used the equipment a lot, without any failure.

I had full confidence in the product. Winter came, I kept the drone, I was about 8 to 10 months without flying, without turning on the equipment.

When I try turn the drone on, I found out that the video transmission from the drone to the cell phone stopped working, everything worked, except this transmission. After a lot of research on the forums, I discovered that this is the result of an engineering flaw in this model: DJI used low quality components, a memory that loses its content and corrupts if it is not energized regularly.

Me and thousands of other buyers of this model, now have these drones that do not transmit video in their cabinets.

Those interested in knowing all the details just visit

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus Blank Screen Corrupt NAND fix - FAQ and Background Details

Why do I say that? Because I swore to myself that I wouldn't buy anything else from DJI. This lasted until this year, when I decided to buy the Mavic Mini, but I already suspect that it has other design flaws, with so many reports of Mavics disappearing, landing alone, etc.

Today I really want to fly my Mavic Mini, but I'm afraid that it will get out of control on its own.

I have 25 years of experience in radio controlled models: airplanes of all sizes, cars, helicopters and drones - I know how to assess atmospheric conditions, space around me, safety. And drones are the ones with the most embedded technology, which is good and bad at the same time. There are more things to fail.

Now I'm thinking that my Mavic Mini is an expensive, non-reusable toy.

Every time I take off with my Mavic Mini I think it’s the last time I’ll see it. I already accept that as reality, so I won't be sad afterwards. Every time he comes back to me it's a new chance I got to play. I've already made 10 flights, so far each flight has cost me $ 40. Each time he returns, my cost per flight decreases.
Omg.i was flying my mini long distances every time I flew it out.I’m talking about a mile out each time.now I will diffently keep a eye on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sevimli