DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic minis life expectancy

I was wondering what the lifespan on the Mavic mini would be i know I post a lot on here. But That’s what this forum is for.

Yep, there are a lot of very nice and helpful experts here in the group.
Your question is tricky to answer; most drone failures are due to operator error. Some members estimate >80% of drone crashes or losses are due to human mistakes.

If a MM doesn't crash, I could see it lasting for 10+ years. The only "wear items" are the batteries & propellers. Batteries plump up or don't hold charges well after 2-3 years. Props are under heavy loading, and will start to degrade after 6-8 months....and should be replaced.

The issues with the MM's props being too weak, and floppy makes their replacement schedule a serious matter of debate. I have an 8 year old Parrot Bebop 2 that runs perfectly, except the battery is now dead. I haven't wanted to buy a new battery.

Best...

Yep, there are a lot of very nice and helpful experts here in the group.
Your question is tricky to answer; most drone failures are due to operator error. Some members estimate >80% of drone crashes or losses are due to human mistakes.

If a MM doesn't crash, I could see it lasting for 10+ years. The only "wear items" are the batteries & propellers. Batteries plump up or don't hold charges well after 2-3 years. Props are under heavy loading, and will start to degrade after 6-8 months....and should be replaced.

The issues with the MM's props being too weak, and floppy makes their replacement schedule a serious matter of debate. I have an 8 year old Parrot Bebop 2 that runs perfectly, except the battery is now dead. I haven't wanted to buy a new battery.

Best...
You shared some very useful information thank you

@Saigondroner gave a very good answer
really there is no definitive life expectancy of the MM or any other drone
if it is not crashed,then it really depends on many things
how often it flies ,where it flies,how well its maintained,and many many more variables

In Europe and UK about 3 years once the new ESEA regulations come into force, it will be classed as a legacy aircraft and eventually you’ll have to stay 150m away from uninvolved people, which will make flying even more difficult

Yup. Even if you do the A2 CofC none of the curgent drones will be any good for flying close to people after July 2022. I won’t be buying a new drone until DJI releases one that complies.

Conditions flown and stored in would likely play a big role in longevity of electronics.
If flown in anything but nice weather, moisture will gradually affect boards and wiring, heavy humidity too.
Batteries seem to be harder to avoid swelling in hot humid environments too.

The current 8331 MPP props I’m running on the M1P are on 2-1/2 years now, no signs of any problems.
I do only fly it fairly easily though, mostly cinematic type flying, very rarely I’ll throw it in sports mode for a bit of fun, I do that with the Spark more.
As mentioned the Mini props are quite loose in comparison, and more likely to wear or be under more strain at times.

Good question too, I’ve been wondering about that sometimes with drones in general.

Reactions: LankALank
Very good useful information given I haven’t flown my Mavic mini but about 25 good times.its still in good shape.but I tell u one thing I won’t be flying in any fog lol just want to keep it in good working condition.it my seem like a low dollar drone to some but to me it’s a lot.i don’t want to destroy it by carelessness.

Yup. Even if you do the A2 CofC none of the curgent drones will be any good for flying close to people after July 2022. I won’t be buying a new drone until DJI releases one that complies.
I’m sure they’ll be a rebranded Mini come July this year in Europe, sold Without prop guards and silly sticker packs, with a true maximum take-off weight of 249g. Anyone who has bought a Mini has truly been milked by DJI.... including myself

I’m sure they’ll be a rebranded Mini come July this year in Europe, sold Without prop guards and silly sticker packs, with a true maximum take-off weight of 249g. Anyone who has bought a Mini has truly been milked by DJI.... including myself

The weight won’t matter after July this year anyway. Any drone with a camera will need to be registered regardless of weight, so the whole 249g thing was a waste of time in the UK and Europe.

The weight won’t matter after July this year anyway. Any drone with a camera will need to be registered regardless of weight, so the whole 249g thing was a waste of time in the UK and Europe.
True regards registration due to camera, but a newly classified mini with MTW Of 249g falls into A1 classification

Open Category. A1 (fly over people). This applies to low risk drones because of their weight being less than 250g, their construction or because they are a toy (designed for use in play by children under 14). However, flights over open-air assemblies are not permitted.

True regards registration due to camera, but a newly classified mini with MTW Of 249g falls into A1 classification

Open Category. A1 (fly over people). This applies to low risk drones because of their weight being less than 250g, their construction or because they are a toy (designed for use in play by children under 14). However, flights over open-air assemblies are not permitted.

Very good useful information given I haven’t flown my Mavic mini but about 25 good times.its still in good shape.but I tell u one thing I won’t be flying in any fog lol just want to keep it in good working condition.it my seem like a low dollar drone to some but to me it’s a lot.i don’t want to destroy it by carelessness.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with taking good care of your hobby gear....not only could you damage the MM, due to carelessness, but you might injure someone as well. The Mini is capable, but IMHO DJI has oversold its capabilities. Their marketing implies that anyone can just push a button, and fly it right out of the box. It's not too difficult, but it's not magic either.

Due to its extremely low weight, the MM is very susceptible to winds that larger drones can cope with. The propellers have been criticised for being too flimsy, and are suspected to bend to the point of causing "uncontrolled descents", IOW, a crash that the MM plummets to the earth.

My 2 cents worth of advice to keep the MM for years to come is to follow all the pre-flight advice that you learn thoroughly. Calibrate the AC when the app tells you to do it, don't cut corners. Fly carefully & conservatively....remember that winds are much stronger at higher altitudes, and the air is thinner the higher you go. That causes the AC to work harder to remain aloft, so your battery flight time is reduced. Don't try to see how far or high you can go, and try to beat your last record....the Mini isn't built to withstand heavy headwinds, or tailwinds either.

And finally, take advantage not only of the great information this forum provides, but use some of the free apps that give drone specific weather information, and flight log recording. I personally use UAV Forecast for weather updates, and Airdata to record and analyze my flight logs (both good and bad flights).

Safe flying!

And anyone needing batteries that did not order the fly more combo pack will be milked even more because the battery prices going up which is ridiculous

You're not kidding. I just paid 3,671,000 Vietnam Dong for 2 batteries. $79 USD each :-(

Hey, there is nothing wrong with taking good care of your hobby gear....not only could you damage the MM, due to carelessness, but you might injure someone as well. The Mini is capable, but IMHO DJI has oversold its capabilities. Their marketing implies that anyone can just push a button, and fly it right out of the box. It's not too difficult, but it's not magic either.

Due to its extremely low weight, the MM is very susceptible to winds that larger drones can cope with. The propellers have been criticised for being too flimsy, and are suspected to bend to the point of causing "uncontrolled descents", IOW, a crash that the MM plummets to the earth.

My 2 cents worth of advice to keep the MM for years to come is to follow all the pre-flight advice that you learn thoroughly. Calibrate the AC when the app tells you to do it, don't cut corners. Fly carefully & conservatively....remember that winds are much stronger at higher altitudes, and the air is thinner the higher you go. That causes the AC to work harder to remain aloft, so your battery flight time is reduced. Don't try to see how far or high you can go, and try to beat your last record....the Mini isn't built to withstand heavy headwinds, or tailwinds either.

And finally, take advantage not only of the great information this forum provides, but use some of the free apps that give drone specific weather information, and flight log recording. I personally use UAV Forecast for weather updates, and Airdata to record and analyze my flight logs (both good and bad flights).

Safe flying!
Thank you so much for the useful information

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi