DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic New User Info before First Flight

Are you serious?

I think you may be getting confused.
No he's correct. They're factory callibrated and temperature corrected and shouldn't be touched unless prompted. You can calibrate the gimbal though as it will probably need it.

No he's correct. They're factory callibrated and temperature corrected and shouldn't be touched unless prompted. You can calibrate the gimbal though as it will probably need it.

While you're waiting for your Mavic (like I was) go read the manual on the Website!

IMU only of prompted

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

While you're waiting for your Mavic (like I was) go read the manual on the Website!

IMU only of prompted

I would do it because they are calibrated in china at a different climate. If its warm in china and cold in the states then your IMU warm up times will be 2 to 3 minutes.

Here's when the IMU should be calibrated:
  • Before the first flight (since it was traveling and could have been dropped/tossed)
  • After installing new firmware
  • After crashing
  • When the DJI GO app recommends it

Are you serious?

I think you may be getting confused.

That is what a DJI rep said on the rcgroups thread. I ask for confirmation from him and got it. Apparently it is pre-calibrated in a temperature controlled environment by DJI to speed up start up time and should not need re-calibration unless prompted by the app.

Woolvie

IMPORTANT NOTE: Object Avoidance and VPS are not active in Sport Mode and as such make sure you set RTH height accordingly to avoid any building or trees, your aircraft will not stop or avoid objects in Sport mode.
I don't think this is correct. I think RTH does not depend on the mode the bird was set to. I think it should default to Smart RTH. Can someone confirm, specifically on the RTH comment. The comment about VPS being inactive in Sport mode is correct. I just don't think it applies to RTH.

• Before the first flight (since it was traveling and could have been dropped/tossed)
  • After crashing
Are the Mavic's coming with the newest firmware installed or are folks having to install firmware the first time they power up??

As we are heading towards some of initial orders landing with folks I have put together the usual tips for people for when you receive you new craft , upon receiving your Mavic you want to do number of things before you fly to ensure you get the best experience.

Thank you. Bookmarked this page to my "How to take good care of that really expensive awesome gadget" folder. Glad to have all this info in one place.

Reactions: Blades
  • After crashing
That's contrary to what the DJI reps are saying. Only calibrate IMU when the app prompts you to, according to them.

Are the Mavic's coming with the newest firmware installed or are folks having to install firmware the first time they power up?
I'm not sure. Mine arrived yesterday, but I won't be able to unbox it until Sunday. I'm sure we'll see DJI rolling out more firmware updates than usual since it's a new aircraft, so most Mavics will eventually need updated after unboxing.

That's contrary to what the DJI reps are saying. Only calibrate IMU when the app prompts you to, according to them.
DJI reps like?

Dr Turbo one of the designers and Is DJI Propulsion man has stated the following

cfb246c720e73bd70f31c63d7e45e963.jpg

And he went on to say

e9d5bdb8dfa044d80902b7893d22e286.jpg

I strongly suggest people take DR T advice as he is the man on this stuff but my personal opinion is this.

DR Turbo Stated that the IMU is calibrated at the factory in controlled conditions that ensure warm up times are kept to a minimum - this I would hazard a guess to be a temperature controlled environment. DJI's stance is you should only need to recalibrate If promoted to do so, this was also the case for the P4 I believe as well.

However having learnt what I have from some of the best people on this forum I really believe it's a good idea to calibrate after doing any firmware updates, now if you just calibrate the IMU at room temp you will likely increase warmup times and it could take a few attempts to get a stable horizon based on passed experience so this is where the infamous cold IMU calibration comes in, you chill the craft a few degrees below your ambient and then calibrate thus showing the IMU the widest possible temp range thus keeping the warm up times down.

For me personally I will calibrate after every firmware update as I have done before, Whilst I'm not saying I don't trust DJI have calibrated correctly at the factory there are just too many variables at play for me to not do it, perhaps that's my OCD or I'm just a tool but my believe is to calibrate and be sure.

But I completely understand why Dr T stated it's not needed as tbh it should not be necessary in reality and having huge amount of new inexperienced users trying to calibrate the IMU with out following the correct process could causes large amounts of support issues in its self when it's not absolutely necessary let alone what else he stated.

I don't think this is correct. I think RTH does not depend on the mode the bird was set to. I think it should default to Smart RTH. Can someone confirm, specifically on the RTH comment. The comment about VPS being inactive in Sport mode is correct. I just don't think it applies to RTH.

At this moment it's not known that it does work when OE has been disabled like in Sport mode, this needs to be confirmed as the manual is not clear and no one has been able to confirm.

My belief is it should work but as it's not confirmed we have to assume otherwise.

Last edited:
The "carefully controlled environment" can be easily reproduced in most locations. It's a good point to remember, but should certainly not scare people away from known best practices. That's assuming that the IMU in the Mavic is similar to the IMUs in DJI's other aircraft.

Running the latest firmware, didn't recalibrate IMU. All is well after several flights.

The "carefully controlled environment" can be easily reproduced in most locations.

How would you know that? Just interested if you have some inside info on how they actually do their calibration and what the "carefully controlled environment" actually is?

The IMU should be calibrated while the Mavic is sitting on a perfectly level surface (check it with a level), in a location where it will not be disturbed during the calibration process, and after the temperature of the Mavic itself has been cooled down.

I don't have any inside details on the environment DJI is using, but there's nothing special about it. If there was, you'd have to ship your Mavic back to DJI every time the IMU needs to be recalibrated.

Reactions: The Editor
The IMU should be calibrated while the Mavic is sitting on a perfectly level surface (check it with a level), in a location where it will not be disturbed during the calibration process, and after the temperature of the Mavic itself has been cooled down.

I don't have any inside details on the environment DJI is using, but there's nothing special about it. If there was, you'd have to ship your Mavic back to DJI every time the IMU needs to be recalibrated.

Got it, thanks.

Since the Mavic slants back at rest do we level to the body or the motherboard?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000