DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic or Spark during Sailing trip?

nutsnbolts

Reactions
Has anyone taken their drone with them on a sailing trip? I'm looking for experiences that folks encountered or even lessons learned in taking their drone with them and possibly close calls with it?

Primary concern is water
Secondary concern is landing & homepoint

A concern with flying the Spark over water is there is no way to choose what happens if the remote controller signal disconnects.

A concern with flying the Spark over water is there is no way to choose what happens if the remote controller signal disconnects.
Yeah as you mentioned in the Spark forum there is no hover feature. With that said I don't plan to fly it unless I'm stationary in the boat so I'm hoping the home feature will get it close enough for me to catch it or at least stop it before landing on water. Either way I have a feeling it will be challenging. I just don't know what to expect? Will the metal parts on the boat interfere? Will I have GPS signal or ??? I'm hoping someone shares some experience and had some good outcome.

Will the metal parts on the boat interfere?
Are the metal parts magnetic? If so, they will likely affect the Spark/Mavic compass if you take off near those magnetic metal objects.

Will I have GPS signal
Assuming the boat is not inside of a cavern, the Spark/Mavic should have a clear view of the sky.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Are the metal parts magnetic? If so, they will likely affect the Spark/Mavic compass if you take off near those magnetic metal objects.

Assuming the boat is not inside of a cavern, the Spark/Mavic should have a clear view of the sky.
I'm assuming there will be enough metal parts or there won't be a whole lot of space to really find that may not have metal parts. I'm sure the mast, the railing, just on top of my head.

I'm not taking risks but I may even get on of those floating orb things that you can attach as a landing leg.

Or you could just launch and catch it from your hand?

I would say, with a environment where you have no safe place to land for the most part except a relatively small boat I would go with the drone that can handle weather, wind, so on a lot better then the spark and has the longer battery flight time.

so use the mavic

Yeah I definitely will hand catch it. Although I can probably land it but hand catching is probably a lot easier from what everyone is saying.

Aside from that anything else that I need to consider?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB