DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic or Spark

I figure for $100 more I can get a mavic compared to a spark more to fly I just don't want to buy a spark and find out that I should have bought the Mavic can somebody give me an opinion on flight times between the spark in a mavic

About double

I own both but if had a choice it would choose the Mavic. I feel the Mavic with new props is quieter and less conspicuous because of the noise. Certainly your going to get better quality video and longer flight times. Anyway you slice it you would enjoy either one.

I have both and I think the Spark is a great starter drone to have. It happens to be the only drone my wife will fly.
Spark Pros:
  • I can get it in the air faster than I can the Mavic
  • About half the weight and significantly smaller in the air so I can fly in tighter spaces including indoors
  • Other people think it is a toy quad so they ignore it when I fly at parks
  • Price is about half if you are comparing fly more to fly more new prices
  • Due to its size, gimbal and frame construction, it is one tough little quad (see youtube crash tests)
  • Gesture control (maybe not a pro)
Spark Cons
  • Only about 10 to 12 min of flight time (Pro for Mavic which is over 20)
  • Only 1080p (Pro for Mavic 4K)
  • Only 24 Mbps video bit rate (60Mbps on Mavic)
  • Only two axis gimbal (Pro for Mavic)
  • Fewer camera settings supported (Pro for Mavic)
  • Not really targeted for professional work (Pro for Mavic)
  • Top speed while shooting video ~12MPH non-sport mode with OA turned off (Pro for Mavic)
So if you just want something to knock around with to take videos of family and friends, I think the Spark is a fine choice.
If you want to get more professional looking shots and need longer flight times, you should hands down get the Mavic.

I had a Spark, great little drone but the flight times killed it for me. 12 minutes just isn't enough for any serious filming.
The camera is probably good for enough for most people but again, a bit lacking for more professional results.
And the 2 axis gimbal means it only has digital stabilisation in the yaw axis making smooth panning shots quite tricky.

I had the same question at once but i saw the range of the mavic , mavic is way better purchase than the spark

I bought my drones brand new. The Mavic you are looking to buy is refurbished, which I assume won't let you buy DJI Care Refresh. Might be something to consider. Also, it comes with only 1 battery, compared to the Spark combo that comes with 2. So flight times is essentially the same.

I really need help. I can get a Spark with more to fly package for $599.00 or Mavic refurbished with charger and one battery and controller for $699.00 I like the Spark cause it small and do create to much attention but the Mavic offers more. What should I do?
Mavic pro for sure, no need to really ask! I have both but I bought my Spark after I bought my Mavic. I love the Spark but I really love my Mavic.

I own both but prefer the Mavic. The Spark is a very cool piece of modern technology though.

After owning a mavic and watching YouTube videos what a spark and do I am so glad I purchased a Mavic.

Hi. For the 599. Do You get the actuall controller or You’d have to fly with phon/tablet?

Mavic. I like the spark but for me the 10 minutes flight time is a deal breaker, it’s just not long enough to enjoy. Also it’s absurd that they didn’t make it with folding arms. I would guess that will be on the next version so if I was hell bent on the spark I would wait for V2.

I really need help. I can get a Spark with more to fly package for $599.00 or Mavic refurbished with charger and one battery and controller for $699.00 I like the Spark cause it small and do create to much attention but the Mavic offers more. What should I do?

You've been on this board for over a year now and still don't know what to do?

Why do I get the feeling all the people replying are being taken for a ride?

the mavics superior battery and flight distance made the difference for me,

I have both myself, go with the Mavic. Longer flight (battery) time, longer distance, 4K video. For me, the spark losses connection a lot. And now they added the pano and sphere. Just made it way better then the Spark.

I don't see any advantage of the Spark over the Mavic. Portability is not really better because the Spark is not foldable and doesn't fit into your pocket. And as stated already, a WIFI connection is by far not as reliable and long-range as Ocusync. And the Spark has missed the more and more common 250g limit.
For an always-with-me-drone I have just baught a Zerotech Dobby besides my Mavic. The Dobby really fits into my pocket and weights just 200g.
When I aam now hearing about DJI appearantly bought Zerotech I guess there will be no Spark 2 but soon something smaller, like Dobby but with better camera.

I fly with a mate who flys a Spark. I haven't finished my second battery but he's already gone through three :eek:

I normally get him to stop flying his after the first battery and fly mine for a bit so he's not standing around waiting for me to deplete my third batty.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078