DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro 2 landing at night

Rich_fpv

Reactions
Question if I may...

I have the mavic pro 2 and was doing a night flight today with the bottom auxiliary light on for vlos purposes.

When I returned in P mode (all manual) with lots of battery, the aircraft refused to manually land. I have a big 1m landing pad. The aircraft just stayed at around 2ft and bobbed down slightly and came back up to 2ft. Held down and it kept on doing it, wouldn't land. Switched to sports mode and came down straight away.

I'm sure I have landed this in p mode at night before under the same conditions. Any ideas?

Landing protection kicked in. My maiden flight last year was at night and got those too. Landing lights aren't too helpful for landing.

Reactions: Rich_fpv
Landing protection kicked in. My maiden flight last year was at night and got those too. Landing lights aren't too helpful for landing.
Thanks, I had assumed all obstacle sensors would be disabled by the dark conditions. I assume you can disable them pre-flight in the menu somewhere.

DJI screwed up the FW after 1.00.0000 - night landing used to work fine until 1.00.100 update where it began to exhibit the behavior you describe. Basically turn it off and land slowly/carefully (not full stick down as you would with landing protection). Not sure if it was ever fixed in later F/Ws but I tend to try avoid updates due to them having a propensity to introduce new bugs into FW "updates"

Reactions: Rich_fpv
It may also be because when lifting, M2P takes a picture of the "TakeOff" location, when it will land, the landing site is compared with the "TakeOff" site, because of the incomplete lighting no match is obtained, and then the drone chooses to hover.

No. That's Precision Landing you are describing and not in play once a few feet from ground. Besides PL wasn't added until around January, and what's described was observed way before then. Issue is landing protection.

If lighting is insufficient for PL, it will ignore it which means it may go off target like it used to before PL was made available.

No. That's Precision Landing you are describing and not in play once a few feet from ground. Besides PL wasn't added until around January, and what's described was observed way before then. Issue is landing protection.

If lighting is insufficient for PL, it will ignore it which means it may go off target like it used to before PL was made available.
Thing is, this was happening right over the 1m H pad. Exactly same take off position with auxillary light on from descent to landing.

Landing pad color may affect it also, I use a high contrast black and white one that works well (I spray paint modified the blue side of my fold up pad). Some people even put LED’s on theirs.

Landing protection is probably looking for a flat surface but interpreting as very rough. With uneven lighting (two LEDs, dark everywhere else) may get different images in the two image sensors.

Landing protection is probably looking for a flat surface but interpreting as very rough. With uneven lighting (two LEDs, dark everywhere else) may get different images in the two image sensors.
Does a landing protection refusal to land give a notification? Cos mine didn't

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darksebius