DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Prop replacement

NJT

Reactions
Hi There,

Is there a rule of thumb for when to replace props based on a maintenance schedule?

I was thinking once a year or every 250km for example?

I always take my props on and off, there must be a limited number of times you can do this before you wear out the prop clips and possibly the motor head connection?

This is preventative maintenance to avoid a prop coming off...

Thanks

Nick

Is there a rule of thumb for when to replace props based on a maintenance schedule?

Not that I've seen, not even recommendations I know of.
It's possibly better to do it by km (or miles) rather than hours, as I'm not sure if hours = time while simply powered on, and not in flight (eg. downloading video, adjusting settings, even using it as a ground gimbal camera etc).

I prevent props coming off by leaving mine on all the time !!
It packs up nicely (it's an M1P) and fits into the backpack spot neatly folded with props on.
That said, when I fly I usually check props, not always though.

Looking for prop mounting clip damage (if removed and replaced regularly) and, scuffed / chipped props, is a good idea.
One would assume a slightly cracked prop would simply let go with the forces it gets.

WIll be interesting to see if anyone does have something in reference they have found regarding this, ot if they have developed their own system for safety.

Even if 6 monthly, 4 new props is a fairly cheap insurance . . . on the other hand, removing them and possibly mounting clip damage, along with the slim possibility you could get a bad QC one somehow, it's probably a break even on how prudent such a schedule might be.

There are some variables in this too.
If someone flies cinematic most of the time, vs someone who loves sports mode, and quite violent maneuvers, then the will of course be a lot more stress on the later pilots props.

Reactions: Gindra
I think taking it on and off should be ok. 10000 times? I would think.
The plastic fatigue and aging would be a potential issue. I believe the plastic is UV protected. Anyone experienced blades snapping in the air?

Not that I've seen, not even recommendations I know of.
It's possibly better to do it by km (or miles) rather than hours, as I'm not sure if hours = time while simply powered on, and not in flight (eg. downloading video, adjusting settings, even using it as a ground gimbal camera etc).

I prevent props coming off by leaving mine on all the time !!
It packs up nicely (it's an M1P) and fits into the backpack spot neatly folded with props on.
That said, when I fly I usually check props, not always though.

Looking for prop mounting clip damage (if removed and replaced regularly) and, scuffed / chipped props, is a good idea.
One would assume a slightly cracked prop would simply let go with the forces it gets.

WIll be interesting to see if anyone does have something in reference they have found regarding this, ot if they have developed their own system for safety.

Even if 6 monthly, 4 new props is a fairly cheap insurance . . . on the other hand, removing them and possibly mounting clip damage, along with the slim possibility you could get a bad QC one somehow, it's probably a break even on how prudent such a schedule might be.

There are some variables in this too.
If someone flies cinematic most of the time, vs someone who loves sports mode, and quite violent maneuvers, then the will of course be a lot more stress on the later pilots props.
Thanks for your response.

I have a hard case with the soft foam inserts, but I don't like leaving the props on as the machine is resting on the blades in storage and I feel it may deform them over time/ with heat some time if box gets hot?

I'm just going to replace my blades every 250km... Then I know they are good...

I agree with the checking every flight for chips etc.

Nick

Reactions: Gindra
Not in the air but a tree plays havoc on em .?
Fom having first MP when they came out till now
i never remove them except when I do mess one up.
Just don’t look for chips. Take the tip of each one and kinda
twist it a little to look for hairline cracks. Have found them that way several times and you could not see them unless
you did that.

Not in the air but a tree plays havoc on em .?
Fom having first MP when they came out till now
i never remove them except when I do mess one up.
Just don’t look for chips. Take the tip of each one and kinda
twist it a little to look for hairline cracks. Have found them that way several times and you could not see them unless
you did that.
Good idea with the twist!

Reactions: dirkclod
Good idea with the twist!
No kidding I don’t know how long I had been flying with one that had a crack you couldn’t see then saw that by accident.
Now that’s how I check mine.

Reactions: Mrmund
After flying general aviation aircraft for 40 years I learnt a few things that I employ with my drone to include aircraft checks every flight and prop checks with replacement after 30 hours. I leave the props in situe on the drone which means the springs on the motor spindle do not get worn and therefore keeps the spring pressure on the lock. In the flying world maintenance is measured in Hours. Hope this helps

• Love
Reactions: Haggar
After flying general aviation aircraft for 40 years I learnt a few things that I employ with my drone to include aircraft checks every flight and prop checks with replacement after 30 hours. I leave the props in situe on the drone which means the springs on the motor spindle do not get worn and therefore keeps the spring pressure on the lock. In the flying world maintenance is measured in Hours. Hope this helps
Thanks for your response. That makes sense, I'm thinking I'll leave my props on now...

Changing props every 30hrs is very frequent? That would be around 170km at the rate I fly.

Thanks for your response. That makes sense, I'm thinking I'll leave my props on now...

Changing props every 30hrs is very frequent? That would be around 170km at the rate I fly.
It is $24 for 4 blades from DJI.
i would think it would last more than 100 hours if it never hit anything.
but my total flight time is only 6 hours. LOL.
just wild guess from my “common” sense.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King