DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Recovery

My paintball idea could work...and wouldn't risk electrocution or even damage to the powerline....so there! :)

My paintball idea could work...and wouldn't risk electrocution or even damage to the powerline....so there! :)
Curious how much experience you have had with a paintball rifle in your own hands? The kinetic energy of a paintball at 100+ ft is waaaaay too low to dislodge the drone. You would hit it, the projectile would wiggle it a little, and that would be it. Beyond 100ft the balls usually won't even break on impact their kinetic energy is so low. One more small problem with your idea: shooting ANYTHING at a transmission line is illegal. You might get a sympathetic, reasonable cop, or you might get a steep fine.

The pics are of transmission (not distribution lines). Based on the height and insulator size in your sample pics, I'd say 230kV. You generally don't see any birds on wires above 69kV as it creates a tingle they don't like.

The problem with transmission class voltages is two-fold... Not only is the air gap critical to maintain, but there is a huge transient that develops between phases, and phase to ground. If you've ever spent time in a 230kV yard or under 500kV lines, those transients build up in things that aren't properly grounded (i.e. the human body). As soon as you get close enough to ground, you get a static shock that is unlike anything you've ever felt. It'll make a grown man squeal like a teenage girl... Relatively benign, but a good indication of what's happening 50+ feet away from the conductors.

Getting closer to the lines with anything that isn't explicitly designed for those voltages (and then REGULARLY tested for dielectric breakdown) is suicidal.

That top cable is grounded, and provides lightning protection (among other things).

I skimmed through all six pages, and may have overlooked it but... Did you reach out to your utility? Depending on what state you're in, it's likely that they use helicopter contractors to inspect the line for issues on a regular basis. If they're scheduled to fly that line in the near future, it may well be worth it to reach out to their specific department (transmission and substation maintenance) to determine the date window - and maybe let them know of your dilemma. Keep in mind that transmission lines may not be owned or maintained by your local utility, but by a larger agency (DoE - WAPA, TVA, etc) or company (i.e. Duke, SCE, etc).

As a troubleshooter of 36 years I see lots of bad info and some good. I'd guess those towers are about 120' tall but that depends and is difficult to tell from the pic. It does look like 230kV. Don't even think about trying to get the drone off yourself. On transmission lines like that even just doing damage to 1 strand of the conductor will require major work to repair and besides by law you must adhere to the (edit) minimum approach clearance.

On that tower there are two circuits, each with 3 phases (A,B, & C which can be in any order) and in general to work the line they would de-energize one circuit, ground it and remove the drone by hand. Not something you want to pay for. If it's on the static wire chances are they 'd bring out a tall bucket and use a long hot stick to knock it off w/o having to de-energize either circuit. They might do this on a hot phase as well but would depend if it's safe to do so. Mylar balloons & kites are a PITA to us and I've had to remove many over the years. Luckily it doesn't look as if the wire is damaged. It won't be long before they patrol the line and find it. What happens after that is up to the company. At least for me I had a boss that let me decide if the customer is going to be charged but when you get a crew involved that's were the bucks are looked over. Our crews run over a 1000 dollars an hour and the same for the equipment. Try not to get stuck with that. Better to let them knock it to the ground. At least notify them there seems to be something hanging on a wire and might fall off and hurt somebody on the ground. Whether you tell them it's yours... hopefully the troubleshooter or patrolman isn't a drone hater.

And about birds landing on a hot phase at 70kV, well only some of the larger thick skinned birds can handle it and most stay well clear. Over 70kV most birds can't land on it unless the line is dead. Where they get in trouble is standing on the structure and making contact with a energized phase. Sometimes they can handle the Static line as it isn't energized. It is usually at ground potential but can still supply a heavy jolt if either circuit is hot. Did the wind ever knock it off or is it still up there? The longer it stays there the more chance it can cause wire damage to the strands due to vibration.

line.jpg

Last edited:
Just read through all 6 pages and the curiosity is killing me ....how did this end?? Sorry to resurrect a month old post

That's so heartbreaking... It would suck to lose a drone via fly away - or to have one smashed to pieces right in front of you. But this... This is just evil torture. To have it so close, yet out of reach is a cruel joke. I don't know if I could handle the taunting!!

I didn’t read all 6 pages... but looks like a job for the power company. Has it rained on the bird? Do you have DJICare or other extended warranty?

If you could get a kite string up there and snag it, it looks like you could pull it off. Just be ready to catch it on its way down.

Four years ago, I planted my old AR Drone way up in the top of a tree. I was able to tell it to start up again, and it dislodged itself and fell. The carbon fiber frame was broken after falling, but I was able to use tiny fiberglass rods for reinforcement and JB Weld to repair it. I flew it countless numbers of times after that. You'd never know anything happened. (Sorry if that's a bit off-topic.)
Maybe. But it’s still helpful! And Interesting!

It depends on what the utility wants to do. Trying to self rescue it would not be a good idea. I'd take it as a loss and go on my way. From what I've been told it's not on a conductor and hung up on the static wire. I could be thinking of a different incident but if it is on a static wire, usually that wire is very tough.

Hold my beer... [emoji16]
As a troubleshooter of 36 years I see lots of bad info and some good. I'd guess those towers are about 120' tall but that depends and is difficult to tell from the pic. It does look like 230kV. Don't even think about trying to get the drone off yourself. On transmission lines like that even just doing damage to 1 strand of the conductor will require major work to repair and besides by law you must adhere to the (edit) minimum approach clearance.

On that tower there are two circuits, each with 3 phases (A,B, & C which can be in any order) and in general to work the line they would de-energize one circuit, ground it and remove the drone by hand. Not something you want to pay for. If it's on the static wire chances are they 'd bring out a tall bucket and use a long hot stick to knock it off w/o having to de-energize either circuit. They might do this on a hot phase as well but would depend if it's safe to do so. Mylar balloons & kites are a PITA to us and I've had to remove many over the years. Luckily it doesn't look as if the wire is damaged. It won't be long before they patrol the line and find it. What happens after that is up to the company. At least for me I had a boss that let me decide if the customer is going to be charged but when you get a crew involved that's were the bucks are looked over. Our crews run over a 1000 dollars an hour and the same for the equipment. Try not to get stuck with that. Better to let them knock it to the ground. At least notify them there seems to be something hanging on a wire and might fall off and hurt somebody on the ground. Whether you tell them it's yours... hopefully the troubleshooter or patrolman isn't a drone hater.

And about birds landing on a hot phase at 70kV, well only some of the larger thick skinned birds can handle it and most stay well clear. Over 70kV most birds can't land on it unless the line is dead. Where they get in trouble is standing on the structure and making contact with a energized phase. Sometimes they can handle the Static line as it isn't energized. It is usually at ground potential but can still supply a heavy jolt if either circuit is hot. Did the wind ever knock it off or is it still up there? The longer it stays there the more chance it can cause wire damage to the strands due to vibration.

View attachment 65893

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR