DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Recovery

Those would have to be very large birds.
I think he's talking about smaller poles with horizontal cross members that carry a wire on each side. On those, the ground often runs below. However, birds with larger wingspans will try to land on the cross members and short circuit the two lines. This has been a problem in many areas and a typical way to mitigate the problem is to place triangular spacers to prevent the birds from attempting a landing.

Reactions: sar104
Edit: Suggestion below won't have a chance if drone isn't caught on bottom wire... And after reading other's responses, here's the disclaimer: If you attempt this, something could go wrong and you or bystanders could either be killed or seriously injured. Property damage could also occur. You could be charged with some sort of crime. Maybe calling the power company is the best idea, at least at SOME point you should get your drone back. And if you have DJI refresh and are within the coverage period, bingo! :)

You could use another drone carrying a heavier (15 - 20 lb test) mono-filament fishing line and have a person hold one end about 30 yards on one side of the lines. The drone would then be flown under the lines well on the other side and then climb to where the line could be entangled on the trapped drone. It would take some maneuvering around, probably mostly by the person holding the line on the ground. Once you get the line snagged on the drone, you could pull it down. You would need to take care that the drone in the air does not get tangled in the line by keeping the proper angle and tautness. May need to practice somewhere away from the power lines first, and of course keep the airborne drone far enough away from the lines.
Place 4 people under the snagged drone with a bed sheet to capture it.

To help keep the line from becoming entangled in the flying drone's rotors, tie a small lead sinker in the line at a distance from the flying that will be on the flying drone's side of the power line. Then add a small sinker that is free to slide on the line between the stationary sinker and the flying drone. This will pull any slack in the line down away from the flying drone.

You will not be in any danger from electrocution as the fishing line will not conduct electricity. (As long as you used the nylon kind).

Who knows how easy doing this would be, but I'd probably try it, depending on exactly where this was.

Last edited:
The problem is how the gimbal caught the wire. It flipped backwards which is difficult to correct when you have it in your hands.

One shot... One kill

Edit: Suggestion below won't have a chance if drone isn't caught on bottom wire...

You could use another drone carrying a heavier (15 - 20 lb test) mono-filament fishing line and have a person hold one end about 30 yards on one side of the lines. The drone would then be flown under the lines well on the other side and then climb to where the line could be entangled on the trapped drone. It would take some maneuvering around, probably mostly by the person holding the line on the ground. Once you get the line snagged on the drone, you could pull it down. You would need to take care that the drone in the air does not get tangled in the line by keeping the proper angle and tautness. May need to practice somewhere away from the power lines first, and of course keep the airborne drone far enough away from the lines.
Place 4 people under the snagged drone with a bed sheet to capture it.

To help keep the line from becoming entangled in the flying drone's rotors, tie a small lead sinker in the line at a distance from the flying that will be on the flying drone's side of the power line. Then add a small sinker that is free to slide on the line between the stationary sinker and the flying drone. This will pull any slack in the line down away from the flying drone.

You will not be in any danger from electrocution as the fishing line will not conduct electricity. (As long as you used the nylon kind).

Who knows how easy doing this would be, but I'd probably try it, depending on exactly where this was.

IMHO, This most definitely ranks up there as one of the stupidest and most dangerous suggestions EVER.:mad:
If your life and or the safety of others and the utility system itself is of no consequence to you, then I simply don't know what to say.
Looking at the picture and seeing the number of bells in those insulator strings, you are looking at voltages in the 200,000 to 250,000 volt range.
Keep in mind that 1/8th of an amp at 120 volts is enough to kill a healthy adult depending on current path.

Reactions: NG Wildman
IMHO, This most definitely ranks up there as one of the stupidest and most dangerous suggestions EVER.:mad:
If your life and or the safety of others and the utility system itself is of no consequence to you, then I simply don't know what to say.
Looking at the picture and seeing the number of bells in those insulator strings, you are looking at voltages in the 200,000 to 250,000 volt range.
Keep in mind that 1/8th of an amp at 120 volts is enough to kill a healthy adult depending on current path.

You must have missed these -
"How about zip tying a broom stick to another drone and trying the ol' wack-a-mole trick. "
"How good a shot are you? "

Where's the proof that dry, standard mono (not woven, etc.) fishing line will conduct a lethal dose???

The line itself is a non conductor, however even a small amount of moisture or other external contaminant could be.
In my 35 years of working on line crews, on power substation equipment and in control room settings for a large public utility with up to 220KV equipment, I have seen countless instances where arcing has occurred across what would normally be considered a non conductor.
In my opinion, risking it all for a $1000 toy is simply absurd.
The only viable option is to contact the power company for advice.
I speak from first hand experience after witnessing what electricity can do when you least expect it.

Ok you flew into power lines at (you say 200ft, looks much lower to me), what were you thinking?..dumb number 1

You then come on a public forum post some pictures and ask for advice...dumb number 2

Hopefully you aren't really 55 and Paul Audet isn't actually your real name, as that would be... dumb number 3

FFS call the power company like yesterday

Reactions: Konquest
Was considering using another drone to try to rescue it, but it would probably end up with 2 Mavics stuck on the power line!

You can do it bro there’s a video of a mavic pro pulling another Mavic out of a tree on YouTube it was stuck pretty good too took some tugging but they got it home safe

I think he's talking about smaller poles with horizontal cross members that carry a wire on each side. On those, the ground often runs below. However, birds with larger wingspans will try to land on the cross members and short circuit the two lines. This has been a problem in many areas and a typical way to mitigate the problem is to place triangular spacers to prevent the birds from attempting a landing.

According to the article I linked in one of my previous posts, it was found the triangular devices to discourage perching weren't as effective as one would have hoped. However coupling this with perch/nesting platforms was much more effective.

The line itself is a non conductor, however even a small amount of moisture or other external contaminant could be.
In my 35 years of working on line crews, on power substation equipment and in control room settings for a large public utility with up to 220KV equipment, I have seen countless instances where arcing has occurred across what would normally be considered a non conductor.
In my opinion, risking it all for a $1000 toy is simply absurd.
The only viable option is to contact the power company for advice.
I speak from first hand experience after witnessing what electricity can do when you least expect it.
Well, I can't really argue with you, I suppose that the chance of something bad happening is there.

When it comes down to it, it shouldn't hurt to call the power company, they may be willing to work a retrieval into their schedule. Won't know unless you ask. And if they take forever to get to it, at least you'll get it back AND if you have DJI refresh and it's still within the coverage period, you're good!

Ok you flew into power lines at (you say 200ft, looks much lower to me), what were you thinking?..dumb number 1

You then come on a public forum post some pictures and ask for advice...dumb number 2

Hopefully you aren't really 55 and Paul Audet isn't actually your real name, as that would be... dumb number 3

FFS call the power company like yesterday

The guy comes on this forum to ask for advice and you start calling him dumb? Everyone does mistakes. He did not endanger the life of anyone, and came on this forum instead of trying dangerous stuff. We don't need people like you, I'm sure OP knows that his crash was stupid.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview