DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Recovery

Having worked in the Utility industry for 35 years and looking at the pictures you posted and comparing the MP's size to the size of the conductor, I would guess that the wire is about 1" in diameter.
As such you are probably looking at a voltage rating in the 60KV to about 115KV range.
Calling the power company is an absolute must. ANYTHING else will be a huge danger to life and limb.
Given the danger to the workers involved with attempting such a rescue, you can be sure the power company will definitely want to de-energize that circuit before attempting a rescue.
Don't expect them to be particularly gentle in the attempt. Their goal will be the safety of their workers and the circuit, NOT the well being of your MP.
It would not surprise me at all if their method of removal is simply knocking your MP off the wire.
Since outages of a high voltage circuit require planning and scheduling to minimize potential outage times for the customers, don't expect a particularly speedy response time.
Expect a nice bill for the "rescue".

Reactions: mrwagdog
If you could get a kite string up there and snag it, it looks like you could pull it off. Just be ready to catch it on its way down.

Four years ago, I planted my old AR Drone way up in the top of a tree. I was able to tell it to start up again, and it dislodged itself and fell. The carbon fiber frame was broken after falling, but I was able to use tiny fiberglass rods for reinforcement and JB Weld to repair it. I flew it countless numbers of times after that. You'd never know anything happened. (Sorry if that's a bit off-topic.)

Run a kite string up into a live power line? Sounds kinda suicidal to me!

First, you have to stay away from high tension power lines because it’s super easy to die. You don’t even need to actually touch one, they can arc several feet.

Electricity is funny. Birds can safely rest on live high voltage wires. Oddly enough, sometimes humans dangle off of helicopters onto high tension lines for maintenance. The secret is that since the bird or helicopter are not grounded, there is no issue.

View attachment 53731

Trying to connect a string to that line reminds me of that sign....not only will this kill you, it will hurt the whole time you are dying.

View attachment 53732
Yep if you put something in the gap it can arc. We had a kid throw a games controller up in the air near a line and there was an arc. The thing vapourised into a foes bits of. Runt pastiche and a couple of wire. These distribution lines are very very dangerous!

Yep if you put something in the gap it can arc. We had a kid throw a games controller up in the air near a line and there was an arc. The thing vapourised into a foes bits of. Runt pastiche and a couple of wire. These distribution lines are very very dangerous!
Apologies. I meant to say a few bits of burnt plastic and a couple of wires.

Yeah you had me googling what the H33L "runt pastiche" was. Im thinking what planet is this person from and are they speaking Klingon..

On the topic at hand it would be a great idea as others have pointed out to make some calls to the Utility Company and make some "inquiries" . You can phrase it like " My friend may have lodged his drone on a high power electric distribution line and would like some help getting it down" "What are his options" :)

Either that or go out immediately after every big windy storm to see the status and if it has somehow dislodged.

There are several things to consider depending on where it is. (whose jurisdiction )

Forget the Drone or a "rescue" you have screwed up and now it is damage limitation/mitigation

Is it legal to fly near those wires?

If not you realy want to be the one calling the power company explaining the "accident" blame wind/GPS failure/loss of signal and alerting them of the problem. Rather than have them, or the Poilice, calling you. If they (power company or Police) call you there wil be a cost. If you call them it might not be so bad especially if they don't involve the authorities and you are sorry and telling them of the acident and "not to get your drone back". Besides you want to call them before some one else does.

If it is legal call the power company. Your flight insurance should cover the costs. You do have flight insurance don't you?

In either case you want to tell them so "they can make things safe" NOT primarily recover the Drone (even though you actually want to recover the Drone). Getting it back, if you are lucky, you can use it for spares.

A DIY "rescue" is going to be too dangerous and will probably add to your problems. Depending where it is you could try a shotgun or air gun. (any other firearm will be too dangerous at the sort of angle you are going to have to shoot) but that is simpley to remove the drone from the wires so you don't have to call the power company.

It is flights like this that cause the Authorities to make tighter rules for the rest of us.

Reactions: STUFF2C

Bug zapper time! That other line the OP’s Mavic is stuck on is carrying a few more electrons than that overhead service line has going through it in the recue video. Try at least 60-thousand volts vs less than 1000v.

Stay at least 10ft 20f from such high voltage lines, here’s an exmple why:

Last edited:
They almost caught the trees on fire.

Makes you wonder how a simple rain shower doesn't cause serious arcing.

They almost caught the trees on fire.

Makes you wonder how a simple rain shower doesn't cause serious arcing.

Air is a pretty good insulator in the absence of an existing plasma conduction path. It takes over 1 x 10⁶ V/m to get the initial arc, and so even with some water loading it is not really close to breakdown.

If you do anything that could cause a power outage or worse a wire burning down, the utility company would sue you for any and all damages not only for the cost of any repairs to their system but also for all collateral damages such as loss of revenue and the customers adversely affected by your ill advised rescue attempt would also be after you to cover any damages that they incurred.
You are potentially talking easily into the 6 figure area.
Is it worth if for a $1000 hobby item??
I think not.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
Lol, bad luck... I never seen a drone standing on a powerline ...
Yep, you should call power company... If you try something to recover your mavic and something goes wrong, you may risk your life or damage powerlines, which can cost a lot to you...

Well, my last $0.05- After what happened to the powerline in Paradise, CA, I’d definitely call the power company and would not mess with anything theirs, even if the thing is hanging over pavement or bare dirt with no apparent chance of lighting anything nearby up. If there’s a short, it may still cause problems at switches further down the line. It’s not worth the chance of causing any accident.

Went and looked at again. It is on the very top wire. I think this the ground wire. Not sure that makes any difference as far as recovery is concerned though. Similar to this arrangement.

Power.jpg

Went and looked at again. It is on the very top wire. I think this the ground wire. Not sure that makes any difference as far as recovery is concerned though. Similar to this arrangement.

View attachment 54793

Yes - that's the ground wire and no - it doesn't really change anything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52