DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro 2 zoom wont zoom

It would be helpful if you provide the history on this whole issue.
Why the work on the camera system in the first place?

Ok from the beginning,
I know a guy who was selling it for 700 bucks. But I know he doesnt take care of his drones. He tells me.
He had a small crash and the gimbal stopped working but the camera worked. He said the gimbal dampener mount was broken. I ended up buying it for 400 bucks, the mavic pro2 zoom with smart control and chargers and a book bag looking case for it.
So I watch some videos on gimbal disassembly and re mounting.
So I take it apart, and I ordered a new gimbal , the dampener I opted out in making a part that fits right on and it's worked perfect. But when I installed the gimbal it's not facing forward like on the pictures I posted it faces offset to the left. When I turn it on it does the whole motion right left down up. On the app I center the gimbal and lock it in fpv mode. But if I got on say active track it recenter to the left again. So I was messing around with the settings. My phone was dying so I download the app on my tablet. Once I plug into the tablet on the app it said to update. So i updated but it failed and since then i have had the zooming issue where it focuses on its own alot of times back to back it makes it unbearable to fly. So I'm trying to fix that. I just need it to zoom again. And stop focusing. Now I tried on the assistant and it failed to update again . So I'm willing to bet its firmware because everytime I plug into the app it tells abnormal firmware between the devices . So that's wher I'm at , us there a way yo reset the mavic and the control? Cause I'll uninstall the app and start it all over but I need to reset the whole mavic to factory settings

First lesson.
Hit the ignore button when you see something that says “update”.
They ain’t mandatory.

Reactions: DannyDieHard
So u switched motors and wires from the newly bought zoom cam (well without the actual camera) am i correct? If so this might be why it is your problem ... What was wrong with your other camera specifically? Because you probably need the actual board that came with the camera parts that you got..... What I mean is each camera/camera board and the camera components of a particular camera has its own serial number all matching for the particular camera set.... so when you go changing the board or the motors things get complicated....also the camera board is calibrated to its own motors for said gimbal.(dji centers the camera and the rest of axis in house with firmware that they have) so what I am thinking is because you put on motors from a different camera and other parts when you go to flash the firmware or update the mavic, serial numbers aren't matching up and it just isn't working. I remember with the original mavic pro if you went to change out the control board for the camera, because of weird camera glitches during flight or other anomalies related to the board. Everything would work fine but I noticed when you first turn on the quadcopter and the camera would do itself initialization in the beginning it would flop around like a fish extra hard against itself. Swapped back to the old board and it was nice and smooth... Also these boards had an extra port for firmware flashing and factory.... Anyway luckily for your "gimbal off centered issue" someone has this firmware I think if you search YouTube you will be able to find it and you should be able to get your gimbal centered. using the gimbal diagnostics tool that this guy has as far as your focus issue I don't know what to do about that...

Dannydiehard messaged u

So u switched motors and wires from the newly bought zoom cam (well without the actual camera) am i correct? If so this might be why it is your problem ... What was wrong with your other camera specifically? Because you probably need the actual board that came with the camera parts that you got..... What I mean is each camera/camera board and the camera components of a particular camera has its own serial number all matching for the particular camera set.... so when you go changing the board or the motors things get complicated....also the camera board is calibrated to its own motors for said gimbal.(dji centers the camera and the rest of axis in house with firmware that they have) so what I am thinking is because you put on motors from a different camera and other parts when you go to flash the firmware or update the mavic, serial numbers aren't matching up and it just isn't working. I remember with the original mavic pro if you went to change out the control board for the camera, because of weird camera glitches during flight or other anomalies related to the board. Everything would work fine but I noticed when you first turn on the quadcopter and the camera would do itself initialization in the beginning it would flop around like a fish extra hard against itself. Swapped back to the old board and it was nice and smooth... Also these boards had an extra port for firmware flashing and factory.... Anyway luckily for your "gimbal off centered issue" someone has this firmware I think if you search YouTube you will be able to find it and you should be able to get your gimbal centered. using the gimbal diagnostics tool that this guy has as far as your focus issue I don't know what to do about that...

I missed the part of once I installed the camera on the gimbal with its circuit board it used to zoom. the only issue was and is still an issue ,is that it centers offset to the left. but it used to zoom perfect. trying to fix the offset facing left cancers to center it. i was using my phone, battery was low so I installed the app on my tablet once I plugged my tablet it said abnormal firmware found I needed to update. So i update and it failed and ever since then it doesnt zoom . But it's the original camera and circuit board only gibal and motors with flex cable and ribbon cable wher changed out ,

Ok first pic is my screenshot u see the bar and the setting afc/mf ? My bar doesnt have the numbers it used to . And its stuck on mf

Second picture some one at dji sent it to me u see how the bar has numbers and the AFC/mf is on AFC. How do I put it to afc cause mine is stuck on mf amd it wont change if I tap on it , and at dji they are completly baffled by what I'm saying they think I'm complaining about the control. Could be a language barrier ,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200329-042530_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200329-042530_Gallery.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200329_042512.jpg
    20200329_042512.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 11
Just to avoid some confusion, there is no such thing as a Mavic Pro 2 Zoom. There's a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom.

Below is what you should be seeing when you select manual focus (MF). There's a Zoom bar and a Focus bar.

Normally when powered on, you should start up in auto focus (AF) with the focus bar not visible. Manual Focus (MF) should only appear when you tap the AF/MF on the screen. (I'm not sure where the AFC comes from in the image they sent you... Automatic Focus Control perhaps?? ).

The DJI controller detects whether it's connected to a Pro or a Zoom and notifies the DJI Go4 software which in turn provides either the zoom function for the Mavic 2 Zoom or it provides an aperture setting for the DJI Mavic Pro.. The zoom or aperture are also controlled by the wheel on the top right side of the controller. This wheel should work no matter what is showing on your DJI Go 4 device screen.

Does the wheel do anything when you turn it? If not, I'm thinking there's a hardware problem in the drone that's confusing things by not correctly reporting the camera type/status.

Attachments

• zoom-screen.jpg
    zoom-screen.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 10
Just to avoid some confusion, there is no such thing as a Mavic Pro 2 Zoom. There's a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom.

Below is what you should be seeing when you select manual focus (MF). There's a Zoom bar and a Focus bar.

Normally when powered on, you should start up in auto focus (AF) with the focus bar not visible. Manual Focus (MF) should only appear when you tap the AF/MF on the screen. (I'm not sure where the AFC comes from in the image they sent you... Automatic Focus Control perhaps?? ).

The DJI controller detects whether it's connected to a Pro or a Zoom and notifies the DJI Go4 software which in turn provides either the zoom function for the Mavic 2 Zoom or it provides an aperture setting for the DJI Mavic Pro.. The zoom or aperture are also controlled by the wheel on the top right side of the controller. This wheel should work no matter what is showing on your DJI Go 4 device screen.

Does the wheel do anything when you turn it? If not, I'm thinking there's a hardware problem in the drone that's confusing things by not correctly reporting the camera type/status.

Ok thanks ! For clarifying on the name. So I have the Mavic 2 zoom .
And it's not hardware because by what u told me it was the update when I plugged in my tablet that must have downloaded the pros firmware instead of the zoom that's why its telling me abnormal something between devices . I turn the wheel doesnt do anything at all . But before it used to zoom. So how would I go about fixing this ?

Oh and I forgot to mention, mine didnt have the 2 bars mine if I recall correctly was like this one , one bar for the zoom in and out and the other little is the gimbal pitch I never had one for focus . And like I said I tap on the afc/mf and it doesnt change at all

Attachments

• 20200326_160159.png
    20200326_160159.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 16
I don't know that there is firmware specific to the Zoom. I've never done it, but I've read a few how-to instructions on swapping cameras Zoom <--> Pro. They indicate that it's a 3-4 minute job and no firmware update is required. You just swap cameras and carry on normally. (Could someone here confirm this ?)

Also, there is no DJI Go 4 app that's model specific. When you set up the app, you choose Mavic 2. There's no provision for selecting Pro or Zoom. The app knows what model the controller has paired with and provides the necessary screen interface for either zoom or aperture.

So if there's no difference in the drone firmware (Zoom vs Pro), and no difference in the DJI Go 4 app, and your Mavic has been crashed and repaired, it seems that the only thing left would be a hardware problem with your Mavic.

That's my thinking anyway :)

Last edited:
I don't know that there is firmware specific to the Zoom. I've never done it, but I've read a few how-to instructions on swapping cameras Zoom <--> Pro. They indicate that it's a 3-4 minute job and no firmware update is required. You just swap cameras and carry on normally. (Could someone here confirm this ?)

Also, there is no DJI Go 4 app that's model specific. When you set up the app, you choose Mavic 2. There's no provision for selecting Pro or Zoom. The app knows what model the controller has paired with and provides the necessary screen interface for either zoom or aperture.

So if there's no difference in the drone firmware (Zoom vs Pro), and no difference in the DJI Go 4 app, and your Mavic has been crashed and repaired, it seems that the only thing left would be a hardware problem with your Mavic.

No ur not understanding what I'm saying the Mavic flew 58 straight flights , short flights but 58 times with no problems. I go to update and this happened. So it's not hardware. How can be hardware with accidents 58 times then an update fails and this is the result.

No thanks. It's a firmware issue they cause amd I have to send it in and pay them to fix ? with the whole coronavirus thing , naw I'll fix dont stress it ,

No thanks. It's a firmware issue they cause amd I have to send it in and pay them to fix ? with the whole coronavirus thing , naw I'll fix dont stress it ,
Actually they did not cause the error. The person updating causes that. You should never attempt an update with a battery that is not fully charged. (I'm not saying that is what happened)You need to try and get another update or try and revert back to another version. Until you do that you are going to have this issue. Whether you want DJI or another drone company to do it for you is up to you. I have the same drone and I have also the Pro camera for it.

The app determines the model when connected to the drone. Also your information on swapping cameras is correct! You do get an error sometimes, but the drone still acts accordingly when you ignore the error. This only happens when you switch the zoom camera to the Pro camera.[/QUOTE]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121