DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Active Trac

Bourbon Droner

Reactions
I want to video a dirt vehicle Rally Race going through a HILLY and WOODED area. My questions are: Can I pick up a target vehicle while it is moving by, Can I set up an AGL altitude since the ground altitude will be changing allow the trac and I want to stay above the trees and the third is how fast can the target be going by to target it and keep up with it? Thanks all !!

I don't think it will work if the rally car is going behind trees etc., the lock on will be interrupted.

Also speed wise it has a maximum of 55kmh, a rally car will be going much faster

Reactions: Thomas B
The probability of this working in the situation as you describe it is close to zero, but the probability of the MP1 hitting an obstacle is quite good. You need a highly visible and unobstructed subject to track. When the subject gets out of view then you have to get it back manually. Also, the track of the aircraft does not follow the track of the subject, so you will not really have any idea of the actual flight path, hence the many Active Track crash videos on YouTube, and all of those are with subjects that are actually trying to be tracked.

Reactions: Thomas B
Darn! I was hoping to do this video too. To try and clarify some points I will add more details to the situation. I was first hoping I could set up the shoot using a 150 ft AGL setting. That would keep the drone over the top of any trees in the area PROVIDED the drone's altitude would change automatically with the topography. And since we are in winter all the leaves on the trees have fallen and the view should be more open. Not completely clear but broken a bit. This Rally is being conducted through a semi remote area on twisting and turning gravel roads. I am thinking 50 mph would be about the top speed in most areas.

Use Hangar Autopilot active track. It tracks the phone attached to the controller and changes height with the controller. Search for online tutorials

Reactions: Zeke
Darn! I was hoping to do this video too. To try and clarify some points I will add more details to the situation. I was first hoping I could set up the shoot using a 150 ft AGL setting. That would keep the drone over the top of any trees in the area PROVIDED the drone's altitude would change automatically with the topography. And since we are in winter all the leaves on the trees have fallen and the view should be more open. Not completely clear but broken a bit. This Rally is being conducted through a semi remote area on twisting and turning gravel roads. I am thinking 50 mph would be about the top speed in most areas.

I'd probably only try stationary shots from a height in the rally scenario.

Your not going to be able to set-up the active track target in time, if the rally car is comming through at 50mph, you just won't have time to select it and for the drone to register the lock on

I think you are right about not being able to lock on to a moving target. It looks like my best option is to set up at various locations along the route and get in the air parallel to it and pan it as it goes by. This is a great place to bounce idea's around to get different views of an issue. Thanks to all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard