Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro and boat (kayak). Newb question.

Pointbob

Reactions
SO if you are moving on a boat and want the mavic to know dynamically where you are (as the RTH point) - what is the best way to achieve this?

If i simply tell the dji app that my home point is where the drone took off that could be a mess if I'm 2000 ft away lol. Do i simply choose the remote controller location as an option instead and all is good/ I'm using a tablet with gps.

thanks

Exphantomflyer

Reactions
SO if you are moving on a boat and want the mavic to know dynamically where you are (as the RTH point) - what is the best way to achieve this?

If i simply tell the dji app that my home point is where the drone took off that could be a mess if I'm 2000 ft away lol. Do i simply choose the remote controller location as an option instead and all is good/ I'm using a tablet with gps.

thanks

you would need to do it regularly in the app , but be warned, GPS on phones and tablets is never reliable, before flying it take the boat and see how accurate the GPS is on your tablet,

Dynamic Home point DHP is only available in active track mode, but im sure that DHP is an option in Litchi but dont quote me

neggy

Reactions
Boats and drones do not play nice together, there are dozens if not hundreds of posts from people with near misses or lost their drone to the water due to at least a dozen reasons from sensor settings, RTH issues, magnetic interference, the boat moving in the water, etc.

If you do try to fly off a boat, make sure you are prepared to replace the aircraft

seowashdc

Reactions
Other, more advanced (read: more expensive) drones may do a little better coming back to a boat, but there is no way I'm going to launch/recover from a boat. Wind, tides, moving boat, waves, wake from nearby boats all make for a recipe for disaster IMO.

Matt

Reactions
i mostly fly off the boat. been for for a long time from phantoms to the Mavic. Mostly hand catch off the aft stairs. sometimes off the sun deck. Never had a issue

Reactions: ScubaBob

AClineman

Reactions
Matt that seems more like a motor yacht vs “a boat” or in the OP’s case, a kayak.

Matt

Reactions

DJI Drone Deals

1. Mini SE - $299
2. Mini 2 - $449
3. Air 2 (renewed) - $649
4. Air 2s - $999
5. FPV Combo - $1299
6. Mavic 2 Zoom - $1349
7. Mavic 2 Pro - $1499

New Threads

Forum statistics