DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro batteries maintenance/discharge questions

DJI DelBoy

Reactions
Hi guys, I’m a bit of newbie with regards taking care of my 4 Mavic Pro batteries. I know they’re called Intelligent flight batteries but would like advice regarding the following questions:

1) I’ve noticed that they appear to discharge by themselves. I think the remote does so as well. Is it advisable to fully discharge what power remains and then fully charge them up OR it doesn’t matter and I can just fully charge them any time?

2) I’ve read that there may be a need to discharge the batteries when they are not going to be used for some time. Is that true? I haven’t used my batteries for at least 3 weeks (poor weather, family and work commitments) but didn’t discharge them. They were fully charged 3 weeks ago for some flights that didn’t take place in the end. I hope I haven’t caused any damage to them.

3) Why are they called Intelligent Flight batteries when they can’t automatically discharge themselves when not in use? People on Google appear to suggest that they should be discharged manually before long term storage. So why call them Intelligent?

4) For how long do you need to let an Intelligent Flight battery cool down straight after a flight before charging it? Will charging a warm battery immediately after removing it from the Mavic cause damage to the battery?

5) What is the official definition of long term and short term battery storage? I haven’t been able to find any definitive info on that. Some us Mavic owners may not have the time or opportunity to fly as often as we would like to so any advice would be appreciated regarding how to take proper care of the batteries.

My apologies if some of the questions have already been answered or may obvious answers to them. Like I said, I’m a newbie and would appreciate any help or official links to the answers relevant to my questions.

Thank you for taking your time out to read and answer my questions.

Hi guys, I’m a bit of newbie with regards taking care of my 4 Mavic Pro batteries. I know they’re called Intelligent flight batteries but would like advice regarding the following questions:

1) I’ve noticed that they appear to discharge by themselves. I think the remote does so as well. Is it advisable to fully discharge what power remains and then fully charge them up OR it doesn’t matter and I can just fully charge them any time?

2) I’ve read that there may be a need to discharge the batteries when they are not going to be used for some time. Is that true? I haven’t used my batteries for at least 3 weeks (poor weather, family and work commitments) but didn’t discharge them. They were fully charged 3 weeks ago for some flights that didn’t take place in the end. I hope I haven’t caused any damage to them.

3) Why are they called Intelligent Flight batteries when they can’t automatically discharge themselves when not in use? People on Google appear to suggest that they should be discharged manually before long term storage. So why call them Intelligent?

4) For how long do you need to let an Intelligent Flight battery cool down straight after a flight before charging it? Will charging a warm battery immediately after removing it from the Mavic cause damage to the battery?

5) What is the official definition of long term and short term battery storage? I haven’t been able to find any definitive info on that. Some us Mavic owners may not have the time or opportunity to fly as often as we would like to so any advice would be appreciated regarding how to take proper care of the batteries.

My apologies if some of the questions have already been answered or may obvious answers to them. Like I said, I’m a newbie and would appreciate any help or official links to the answers relevant to my questions.

Thank you for taking your time out to read and answer my questions.
Howdy, i don't get to fly as much as id like (THE WIND) i will have my batteries fully charged, and not fly for days, then a week, I've got my batteries set to discharge in 10 days, so When i finally do fly , the batteries have discharged some but i just put it up fly the battery down and repeat, charge them all back up and all has been well! 2 cents forwarded!

Is it advisable to fully discharge what power remains and then fully charge them up OR it doesn’t matter and I can just fully charge them any time?
There is no need to discharge the batteries. It's okay to fully charge them from the current charge level at any time.

No, you don't have to manually discharge your batteries. While they are in storage, follow these tips.

3) Why are they called Intelligent Flight batteries when they can’t automatically discharge themselves when not in use?
When not in use, they will auto discharge down to the storage level (~65%).

The batteries will not charge when they are too hot. The cool down time depends on the temperature where the batteries are sitting.

Don't get too wrapped up in definitions. Just follow these tips.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikair3