DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

sounds like some good flights, great info. Saw this .. dang man,t hat must have been nerve racking! I had a similar once and flew back 10minutes in a hard rain on my p3, these things hold up. Impressed that it came back in the rain and made it back! Your rolling the dice on that water flight though. nice flying!

Looks less exciting if i review the logs..
Was planning to fly straight out but my 3 kids playing around me distracted and the outbound leg was not so straight anymore :)
Screenshot_2017-08-11-22-34-47.png

Attempted 2 flights today. Straight over the drink in a bay area today to check 5200 single LiHv versus the double 3000 LiHv.
Partial success...
The 5200 flight was exciting. Made it 11400 m out and landed after almost 28 min with 3% left (yes, that gave me the buzz again. Especially because i had about 3m of land, impossible to divert). Lost a lot of juice during climb coz some high terrain in the middle made me lose signal at 25m alt and had to climb to 120.
At 90% i had 3500m distance after 4.50 mins.

The double 3000 flight started great.
At 90% (6.12 mins) 5000m out when it started raining heavily.
I decided to hit s-mode and return (entirely over open water) until connection got completely lost, no reconnect... mavic was soaked for sure so i thought it shorted and plunged into the sea. Decided to switch off remote and force RTH in case it still was airborne.
Was happy to see it was still alive. Soaked but alive. Drying now..

Nice! If it was heavy enough rain it could have killed your signal. Need to get both battery setups out again. Fly back to back in similar conditions and fly the same route. And no kids! I don't even dare bring mine when I'm pushing it. I am loving the dual 3000 setup but will try the 4000s once they are in-stock. I'm not sure if a single 5200 is the way to go or not. I flew the other day in near perfect conditions. Right as I powered up some people in a car rolled up and started asking the usual questions. I didn't want to sit there on the ground powered up so I said "yeah I'm gonna go 6 miles that way" and walked away from them lol. I ended up going 8miles and landed at 17%.

For comparison, at 90% I was 13,370ft (4075m) out in 4:55. I was tempted to go back out at night because in my area, no wind is very rare. I hope I can get a chance to fly in these conditions again soon.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Reactions: ggg and CyberNate
Attempted 2 flights today. Straight over the drink in a bay area today to check 5200 single LiHv versus the double 3000 LiHv.
Partial success...
The 5200 flight was exciting. Made it 11400 m out and landed after almost 28 min with 3% left (yes, that gave me the buzz again. Especially because i had about 3m of land, impossible to divert). Lost a lot of juice during climb coz some high terrain in the middle made me lose signal at 25m alt and had to climb to 120.

I decided to hit s-mode and return (entirely over open water) until connection got completely lost, no reconnect... mavic was soaked for sure so i thought it shorted and plunged into the sea. Decided to switch off remote and force RTH in case it still was airborne.

You should write short stories for a living. Reading that felt like I was there with you cheering you on!!

This is why we do it :)

Nice! If it was heavy enough rain it could have killed your signal. Need to get both battery setups out again. Fly back to back in similar conditions and fly the same route. And no kids! I don't even dare bring mine when I'm pushing it. I am loving the dual 3000 setup but will try the 4000s once they are in-stock. I'm not sure if a single 5200 is the way to go or not. I flew the other day in near perfect conditions. Right as I powered up some people in a car rolled up and started asking the usual questions. I didn't want to sit there on the ground powered up so I said "yeah I'm gonna go 6 miles that way" and walked away from them lol. I ended up going 8miles and landed at 17%.

For comparison, at 90% I was 13,370ft (4075m) out in 4:55. I was tempted to go back out at night because in my area, no wind is very rare. I hope I can get a chance to fly in these conditions again soon.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

OK, now ed209 is just passive aggressively bragging... and I love it!!!

Reactions: MrsTreat and ggg
If I could ever find the dang LiHv batteries, I would love to join the party. But I have medium hopes that I can run dual 5200's with the factory battery cell removed detailed in the other battery mod thread. Cybernate's dayz are numbered...

Partial success...

Nice flight! Looks like you had a tail wind going out. Need to be careful with tail wind. I only do distance runs into a predictable headwind.

Nice flight! Looks like you had a tail wind going out. Need to be careful with tail wind. I only do distance runs into a predictable headwind.

Something tells me that Makilac frequents Las Vegas (or other gambling establishment in the region). I like to push things to the limit too, but doing a range test starting off in a tailwind is just plain crazy thinking (or maybe crazy like a fox, who are we too judge) :)

Reactions: ggg
If I could ever find the dang LiHv batteries, I would love to join the party. But I have medium hopes that I can run dual 5200's with the factory battery cell removed detailed in the other battery mod thread. Cybernate's dayz are numbered...

I want you to break it! That's a great idea, to run with dual lihv 5200s minus factory battery, provided you are able to keep battery info. That would be excellent power to weight ratio. Try to mount them on the bottom rather than sides.

I want you to break it! That's a great idea, to run with dual lihv 5200s minus factory battery, provided you are able to keep battery info. That would be excellent power to weight ratio. Try to mount them on the bottom rather than sides.

This is new info for me (or I missed it in the 100 page thread). Why not mount on the sides???

OK, now ed209 is just passive aggressively bragging... and I love it!!!

Hahaha absolutely not bragging. I'm saying he had a good run with the 5200 but didn't get the chance to put the dual 3,000s to the same test. I presented my data as a reference because it was probably the best I'll ever get numbers wise. Anything else will be more risk with trying to calculate return speed. My outbound and return speeds were **** near identical. I'd say that's a good benchmark to see how they perform.

Hahaha absolutely not bragging. I'm saying he had a good run with the 5200 but didn't get the chance to put the dual 3,000s to the same test. I presented my data as a reference because it was probably the best I'll ever get numbers wise. Anything else will be more risk with trying to calculate return speed. My outbound and return speeds were **** near identical. I'd say that's a good benchmark to see how they perform.

These are very good data points, thank you for sharing.

This is new info for me (or I missed it in the 100 page thread). Why not mount on the sides???
Downward thrust is partially blocked by side mounted batteries plus mavic is less aerodynamic with side mounted. If you put underneath the batteries are shielded from wind. You'll need a gap to allow heatsink cooling. Even if it's 5 percent improvement, makes a big difference in total distance.

Edit: I have never ran batteries underneath, but that will be next if someone breaks my record. I'm certain that will add some distance.

Did anyone ever try dual 5200s with the stock battery? I see beanbubba did it with the the drop chit on there but did anyone try it regular? I just got my 2 in today and one of the cells were fkd up so i may be have to wait to try when i get another IDK...Or should i shut up and read back 102 pages to find out myself?

Did anyone ever try dual 5200s with the stock battery? I see beanbubba did it with the the drop chit on there but did anyone try it regular? I just got my 2 in today and one of the cells were fkd up so i may be have to wait to try when i get another IDK...Or should i shut up and read back 102 pages to find out myself?

Hahaha beanbubba had a flying glob of batteries with a dropping mechanism. His Mavic was attached to the drop mechanism!

Reactions: CyberNate

I have considered it, but most likely it's too heavy. I don't have a good area to test that setup. Another option is 3 x 3000s which would be a bit lighter than dual 5200s. Keith tried 3 x 3000 but said it wasn't looking good and bailed on the flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marko07