DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

@cruzroy is the guy I saw that did it successfully
There is a difference between a dremel bit and a cut off wheel.....He tryed to use a small sharp end attachment but failed the endmill....then he used the cutoff wheel which I choose to use the scissors that way the slots were much tighter around the pins. just my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: cderoche
What I should have said is he tried to use a endmill tool inserted into a dremel to do the slots with and that didn't work. He then reverted to the dremel with the cutoff wheel...

Reactions: newguy
Those 'battery clips' are good for a temporary batt mod, but there is very little overall contact surface for the current to flow. Hardwire is the way to go,far more efficient.

Reactions: Ed209
Those 'battery clips' are good for a temporary batt mod, but there is very little overall contact surface for the current to flow. Hardwire is the way to go,far more efficient.
In a lot of cases it equals a direct mod but indeed, the contact area is something that worried me too.
But after hardwire it's bye-bye warranty...

Reactions: BigMotor
In a lot of cases it equals a direct mod but indeed, the contact area is something that worried me too.
But after hardwire it's bye-bye warranty...

The clip loosing connection is an opinion. Just like trying to solder in a tight spot, may not get the desired connection either.

The clip gets contact on the sides and the tops of the pins. I have heard of one failing yet, while I’ve seen tons of really bad soldering jobs.

Reactions: Japtastic
The clip loosing connection is an opinion. Just like trying to solder in a tight spot, may not get the desired connection either.

The clip gets contact on the sides and the tops of the pins. I have heard of one failing yet, while I’ve seen tons of really bad soldering jobs.
You re right. However it does not make contact on the top, just the sides.
Here's the dimensions on the 10.5A pack:
100x38x70mm.

Because I think it does? At least somewhat by looking at the bottom of the battery you can see the contact surface goes on either side of the Pens and would touch the top of the battery mod surface

Because I think it does? At least somewhat by looking at the bottom of the battery you can see the contact surface goes on either side of the Pens and would touch the top of the battery mod surface

It would seem that the stock battery once locked in place would have some role in the connection to those clips, not sure how much. I wonder about the connection between it all, and how much amperage is flowing through that point, which is sure to be the bottleneck for the current if there is any. One low tech way you can tell if its a problem is if you have the clips mod run a pack through the drone and once you land, and disconnect the extra pack and clips touch those clips where they connect to the pins and feel how hot they are. If they're burning your finger tips I'd be a little concerned. Wouldn't want to melt or fry anything. Or worse short out the connections and make those LIPOs light up like the 4th.

It would seem that the stock battery once locked in place would have some role in the connection to those clips, not sure how much. I wonder about the connection between it all, and how much amperage is flowing through that point, which is sure to be the bottleneck for the current if there is any. One low tech way you can tell if its a problem is if you have the clips mod run a pack through the drone and once you land, and disconnect the extra pack and clips touch those clips where they connect to the pins and feel how hot they are. If they're burning your finger tips I'd be a little concerned. Wouldn't want to melt or fry anything. Or worse short out the connections and make those LIPOs light up like the 4th.

Some clay and some ink could probably tell us

No. It does not touch the battery clip anywhere. It's plastic on metal.

Wonder if its possible to take a resistance reading?
Snap main battery in place, install the external, power on and measure at the exposed parts of the battery clip?
Don't get me wrong, the clip works well. All im saying is that the contact surface is minimal. If the clip would make best contact ideally, it would be almost impossible to slide it onto the pins, especially 4 slots. Also with adding/removing the clip numerous times the slots will be subject to wear reducing contact surface. The clip has no "clamp" connection like the main battery.

Reactions: cderoche
Are you looking at the white circled area?

.I am just wodering why you guys do not connect XT60 connector on the bottom side of the board where originally the dji Cells +\- were connected... Cell Voltage is measured trought ballance lead anyway... Solderig XT60 direct to the PIN's bypassing intelligent board is IMHO not the best, also not for soldering on those spots..

look at what these guys are doing:

Mavic Pro Factory Battery Controller Mod

.I am just wodering why you guys do not connect XT60 connector on the bottom side of the board where originally the dji Cells +\- were connected... Cell Voltage is measured trought ballance lead anyway... Solderig XT60 direct to the PIN's bypassing intelligent board is IMHO not the best, also not for soldering on those spots..

look at what these guys are doing:

We are “those guys”.

What I should have said is he tried to use a endmill tool inserted into a dremel to do the slots with and that didn't work. He then reverted to the dremel with the cutoff wheel...

i think the endmill would work the best, i think thats what that big company uses......but you need a stable cnc machine......not a old shaky hand like mine

Snap main battery in place, install the external, power on and measure at the exposed parts of the battery clip?
Don't get me wrong, the clip works well. All im saying is that the contact surface is minimal. If the clip would make best contact ideally, it would be almost impossible to slide it onto the pins, especially 4 slots. Also with adding/removing the clip numerous times the slots will be subject to wear reducing contact surface. The clip has no "clamp" connection like the main battery.
That's why I soldered my clip in. Good solid connection.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead