DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

I'm using 3s LiHV and I mean there's a speed that will give maximum distance traveled and speed that will give maximum flight time.

But are we not looking for the perfect balance of low/slow versus hard/fast? We have seen many examples of guys that run faster and some that run slower, yet the net distance was nearly the same?
dronemods-2018-042.png

To bad we can't figure a way to put fixed wings on there somewhere. I tried with the p3 and it did a back flip and smashed on takeoff..I never talked about it :oops:
I've done a small wing tail that can carry more batteries, but may as well do a vtol plane at that point.

I was going to keep my Platinum stock, but that didn't last long :D

I wanted something that's clean looking when flying stock or modded so I flush mounted an XT30 with 16ga wires directly to the ESC solder points.

Q61biaS.jpg

C9ZwF28.jpg

xHQUAFL.jpg

I wanted something that's clean looking when flying stock or modded so I flush mounted an XT30 with 16ga wires directly to the ESC solder points.

Do you use Lipos standalone or with dji battery in combination?

I heard that you can set battery type to „non dji“ and the bird will fly...? can someone confirm?

And I also heard about 4s operation... is it possible? My phantom 1.1.1 esc’s flashed with simonk is running P3 Batteries without problem [emoji1417]

Q61biaS.jpg

C9ZwF28.jpg

xHQUAFL.jpg

Nice work, what did you do to secure the xt30 firmly in place? Do you have an inside picture?

I got an idea. Why not get rid of the factory battery all together and just mount something like this in view of the camera when panning down? If we want to know remaining battery we can just pan down with the camera and look at the readout.
A mAh counter would be nice to have as well as voltage.

@beanbubba epoxy and carbon strands hold it in place and I'll take some pictures of the next one.

Q61biaS.jpg

C9ZwF28.jpg

xHQUAFL.jpg
I use the same mod on my previous MP with a diy dual bat holder!

Attachments

• IMG_20171225_170907.jpg
    IMG_20171225_170907.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20171225_164436.jpg
    IMG_20171225_164436.jpg
    873.2 KB · Views: 115
Hi everyone !

To begin, i made the mod with the power extra battery, not the charger. Here is a link to a product description : https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Powerextra-Intelligent-Replacement-Platinum/dp/B077SLY3WK

*** DOING ANYTHING INCLUDED IN ANY OF MY MESSAGES ON THIS FORUM IS AT YOUR OWN RISKS. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DOMMAGE OR INJURIES DUE TO WHAT I EXPLAINED. BE ALWAYS VERY CAREFUL AND SMART. A MAVIC FALLING FROM 200M ON SOMEONE OR SOMETHING MAY CAUSE DEATH AND IRREPARABLE DAMMAGES. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. THIS IS NOT A MOTIVATION TO BYPASS AND GET AROUND LAW. THESE ARE JUST TECHNICAL INFORMATIONS. ***

So all the picture of the board controller are from this powerextra battery. I've never had unmount a DJI battery but i think that this board is really close but with an additionnal part.
This board is completed with a 100A BMS board to protect 18650 cells from overcharge (4.2v charge vs 4.35v charge for original/third market cells). I too have add two 2A cell protection for balance connector connected to the battery controller (not the BMS). I wanted to be sure than cells can't be overcharged.

Secondly, i've done a big firmware mod on this mavic platinum. So i have a 1.04.000 firmware except for module 304-305 which comes from 1.03.700. You have to add an internal sd card on the board to be able to do this on platinum and newer mavic pro.

Then, concerning battery parameters, here are my settings. To make it work, and it is very important to make things work (and to disable autolanding properly), set them with your 18650 batteries and their board powering the mavic, and they have to be discharged (below 3.7v). I hope i didn't forgot any parameters.

g_config_landing_auto_landing_vel_L1 0
g_config_landing_auto_landing_vel_L2 0

battery_type 1
dji_bat_level_1 15
dji_bat_level_2 10

bat_level_1_action 0
bat_level_2_action 0

g_config_bat_config_bat_limit_limit_vol_min 2800
g_config_bat_config_bat_limit_limit_vol_max 2900
g_config_bat_config_emergency_capacity 0
g_config_bat_config_emergency_voltage 2600
g_cfg_debug_voltage_temp_for_calibrate 9900

And now, charge your batterie to full charge. And make the first flight by only hovering, check the comportment of your mavic at all charge state and don't fly too high when cells comes below 3.1v. This procedure, if it works like me, recablibrate the battery display 0% charge at a lower voltage (and so staying at 100% voltage for a very long time).Today, i made an ultimate test (45min starting from 4.12v, so a very little discharge) and my BMS board cut the power to the mavic so he falls ! I was exepected that so i was a 30cm from the ground and no damage but be careful ! Do test to get your proper discharge curve.

Have fun but respect laws of your country

EDIT : for the compass, i have the error. It is really dangerous to flight indoor. Outdoor, you have too to be careful because the mavic could also do unexpected comportment. When you are sufficiently high (60m) the compass error disappear for 90% of flight time. But this error needs more attention and force you to go over issues automatically fixed with the guenuine battery.

Last edited:
Hi everyone !

To begin, i made the mod with the power extra battery, not the charger. Here is a link to a product description : https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Powerextra-Intelligent-Replacement-Platinum/dp/B077SLY3WK

*** DOING ANYTHING INCLUDED IN ANY OF MY MESSAGES ON THIS FORUM IS AT YOUR OWN RISKS. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DOMMAGE OR INJURIES DUE TO WHAT I EXPLAINED. BE ALWAYS VERY CAREFUL AND SMART. A MAVIC FALLING FROM 200M ON SOMEONE OR SOMETHING MAY CAUSE DEATH AND IRREPARABLE DAMMAGES. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. THIS IS NOT A MOTIVATION TO BYPASS AND GET AROUND LAW. THESE ARE JUST TECHNICAL INFORMATIONS. ***

So all the picture of the board controller are from this powerextra battery. I've never had unmount a DJI battery but i think that this board is really close but with an additionnal part.
This board is completed with a 100A BMS board to protect 18650 cells from overcharge (4.2v charge vs 4.35v charge for original/third market cells). I too have add two 2A cell protection for balance connector connected to the battery controller (not the BMS). I wanted to be sure than cells can't be overcharged.

Secondly, i've done a big firmware mod on this mavic platinum. So i have a 1.04.000 firmware except for module 304-305 which comes from 1.03.700. You have to add an internal sd card on the board to be able to do this on platinum and newer mavic pro.

Then, concerning battery parameters, here are my settings. To make it work, and it is very important to make things work (and to disable autolanding properly), set them with your 18650 batteries and their board powering the mavic, and they have to be discharged (below 3.7v). I hope i didn't forgot any parameters.

battery_type 1
dji_bat_level_1 15
dji_bat_level_2 10

bat_level_1_action 0
bat_level_2_action 0

And now, charge your batterie to full charge. And make the first flight by only hovering, check the comportment of your mavic at all charge state and don't fly too high when cells comes below 3.1v. This procedure, if it works like me, recablibrate the battery display 0% charge at a lower voltage (and so staying at 100% voltage for a very long time).Today, i made an ultimate test (45min starting from 4.12v, so a very little discharge) and my BMS board cut the power to the mavic so he falls ! I was exepected that so i was a 30cm from the ground and no damage but be careful ! Do test to get your proper discharge curve.

EDIT : for the compass, i have the error. It is really dangerous to flight indoor. Outdoor, you have too to be careful because the mavic could also do unexpected comportment. When you are sufficiently high (60m) the compass error disappear for 90% of flight time. But this error needs more attention and force you to go over issues automatically fixed with the guenuine battery.

Thank you sir!! I have 2 of those batteries now on order and can’t wait to try it out. Thanks for taking the time to document this.

Reactions: SkyNinja
Hi everyone !

battery_type 1
dji_bat_level_1 15
dji_bat_level_2 10

bat_level_1_action 0
bat_level_2_action 0

Care to share your airdata link?

Hi everyone !

battery_type 1
dji_bat_level_1 15
dji_bat_level_2 10

bat_level_1_action 0
bat_level_2_action 0

Hi rikiki69,

You have taken an unusual approach to a battery mod and it looks interesting, although the battery 'mountain' looks a tad top-heavy! What interests me is how you have connected the battery controller socket to the Mavic plug. I see the vertical wires going between the two. How did you connect the wires to the bottom part? Are they just soldered to the connectors, or did you find a socket to match the connector on the Mavic? I have been looking for a way to connect to these pins without soldering.

I took out my 14000mah lion 4s4p battery for a flight. Still getting compass errors...I think I'm done wasting my time with this. I got over 50min flight which for some reason got split into 2 flights in the dji go app. 50 min is good time but what good is it if its just a hover and you get compass and yaw errors? the voltage sag on these batteries is crazy! soooo yeah.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Attachments

• 50min.PNG
    50min.PNG
    5 MB · Views: 75
Reactions: dirtybum
I took out my 14000mah lion 4s4p battery for a flight. Still getting compass errors...I think I'm done wasting my time with this. I got over 50min flight which for some reason got split into 2 flights in the dji go app. 50 min is good time but what good is it if its just a hover and you get compass and yaw errors? the voltage sag on these batteries is crazy! soooo yeah.

did you calibrate the compass with batteries in place?

Hi Chaz - glad you're still messing with the 18650 batteries. Please don't give up!

When you use these batteries you've got a whole lot of extra metal on board, so it's bound to affect the compass. Like droneuser said, and I'm sure you did this, it's important to calibrate compass with batteries in place. Also the geometry of the batteries is important.

I've only tested a 4s2p so far and I'll be moving up to 4s3p as soon as the build is ready. With the 4s2p I can calibrate the compass and it works reasonably well. The batteries are pretty much in the same position as the original Mavic battery, and with the new 4s3p there won't be a huge difference in geometry, but there will be more metal, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm not sure if I will move on to 4s4p because of the weight and stress on the motor bearings, but I might give it a shot. And yes, the voltage sag is high, but with 4s you still have more than enough voltage left at the end.

You could try changing the battery positions, or cut it back to 4s3p.

Hi Chaz - glad you're still messing with the 18650 batteries. Please don't give up!

When you use these batteries you've got a whole lot of extra metal on board, so it's bound to affect the compass. Like droneuser said, and I'm sure you did this, it's important to calibrate compass with batteries in place. Also the geometry of the batteries is important.

I've only tested a 4s2p so far and I'll be moving up to 4s3p as soon as the build is ready. With the 4s2p I can calibrate the compass and it works reasonably well. The batteries are pretty much in the same position as the original Mavic battery, and with the new 4s3p there won't be a huge difference in geometry, but there will be more metal, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm not sure if I will move on to 4s4p because of the weight and stress on the motor bearings, but I might give it a shot. And yes, the voltage sag is high, but with 4s you still have more than enough voltage left at the end.

You could try changing the battery positions, or cut it back to 4s3p.

Here's a video of a test flight of the 4s2p battery. Very gusty wind, but it's holding position well. Hover time 33 mins.

I've been working with these for a while and already did the 3s4p, 4s3p and now 4s4p. I've been working my way up to this. The 4s3p works with no compass errors as long as you position the batteries correctly and not under the compass but now the battery is getting too big and unless i make this a square wind resistant block that hangs straight down i see no hope for stopping the compass error. For example the attached pictures are both the same battery in different configurations and i got the compass error with the top one (black battery) and didn't with the bottom one (red battery). For these batteries anyway it seems its all about keeping them from under the compass...IMG_6707.JPG IMG_6708.JPG

Reactions: dirtybum

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S