DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro common issues?

Mr.H.

Reactions
I was wondering what are common issues Mavic Pro owners experience with their quad?

Are Fly-Aways an issue like they they were with many of the older Phantoms? Is GPS connectivity solid with the Pro? Is the Radio signal connectivity from the drone to the controller good on the pro or is it similar to many of the lower end quads with the "WiFi" connectivity?

Thanks for any input.

I was wondering what are common issues Mavic Pro owners experience with their quad?

Are Fly-Aways an issue like they they were with many of the older Phantoms? Is GPS connectivity solid with the Pro? Is the Radio signal connectivity from the drone to the controller good on the pro or is it similar to many of the lower end quads with the "WiFi" connectivity?

Thanks for any input.
Howdy @Mr.H. and welcome to the forum. You have asked a lot of questions to be answered in one thread. I recommend doing a search on the individual questions and I am sure you will find all the answers you need. These topics have been covered to great length in this forum.

• Fly-aways: Rare and in most cases due to pilot error. There are a lot of cases where winds aloft are greater than the Mavic max speed and it does not make it back. Then the pilot will blame it on a fly-away.
  • GPS connectivity is solid but may be affected by flying close to buildings, in canyons, or under obstructions.
  • The radio signal connectivity is outstanding and will stay connected well outside of visual range in optimum conditions. This means that in sub-optimal conditions you should be able to maintain connections while maintaining VLOS.
The Mavic is really an exceptional piece of engineering but the combination of hardware, software, and display device are all subject to failure. Keep it in VLOS, follow the other common-sense rules and fly safe.

The camera blurry edge is a common issue. The loose rear legs too.
Finally, the compass can fail with the gimbal movement

Knock on wood I have not experienced any problems. I think most of the problems that you hear about R pilot error’s. I think the gimbal is the weakest link in the MP.

I've had a GPS issue once, it almost scared the **** out of me. I've been flying in Atlantic City, off some parking lot roof. Mavic about 1.5miles away, video reception starting to get jerky, but controls are still fine... then all of a sudden... "ATTI mode". So no RTH, no map, and a video feed that barely works. The bird has lost GPS reception for heck knows what reason, there was nothing in the logs, no descriptive errors whatsoever that could have explained it. I've started to manually bring the bird back by the video feed, that has quickly improved (what a relief). The GPS reception didn't go back to normal until full bird reboot, landed while still in ATTI. Have to admit, though, this only happened once.

And yea, camera could be way better, fixed aperture, video overcompressed, focus is finicky and barely works in lower than optimal lighting, no way to easily set it to hyperfocal either, camera focal plane a little off (one edge sharper than the other with the center in focus and everything more or less at equal distance). In general, camera, which is on par with a low end Chinese phone one, is my main complain.

I appreciate the input from everyone. I have been considering making a purchase, but didn't know if they've become anymore dependable from problems I had with the Phantom 3 . Surprisingly I have seen few posts of these things from others and have been hoping the newer DJI quads have been more stable.

Thanks.

I think the most common issue is Pilots :)

And yes I include myself in that statement.......

Last edited:
Reactions: BanksAJ
Right... suddenly losing GPS out of the blue, while not any near any antennas or other visible EMI sources is, of course, a pilot's fault... so is tapping on something 50 meters away, yet focusing at 10 meters instead... right? :-/

MPP other then my single act of piloting stupidity. No problems.
I purchased the replacement gimbal assembly on Amazon and was back in the air in 3 days. Yes, it’s possible to take off into a tree.

Right... suddenly losing GPS out of the blue, while not any near any antennas or other visible EMI sources is, of course, a pilot's fault... so is tapping on something 50 meters away, yet focusing at 10 meters instead... right? :-/

GPS is not a guaranteed service, it can be affected by many external factors. I'm not saying it wasn't a malfunction but it should be born in mind. Also the software sometimes resolves loss of compass data as a GPS issue and switches to ATTI.

GPS is not a guaranteed service, it can be affected by many external factors. I'm not saying it wasn't a malfunction but it should be born in mind. Also the software sometimes resolves loss of compass data as a GPS issue and switches to ATTI.
I wonder if in this case it still sends the coordinates back, so one could use the map.

I have been very impressed with my MP. It is very easy to fly, portable and reliable. Pilot error is beyond any drones control. Buy it!
In the UK, there are some very good deals on MP currently. I love it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf