DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Compass Calibration Issues

jtnard

Reactions
Recently purchased a Mavic Pro and the compass does not seem to want to calibrate. Every time I go to calibrate the compass it prompts me to spin it 360 degrees with the belly facing down. Unfortunately the drone never registers the horizontal spin motion therefore resulting in the light never turning from yellow to green. I have tried multiple locations and made sure I am not wearing anything metallic either. The drone light will only turn green if I rotate the drone with it's nose face down, even when prompted to rotate the drone horizontally not vertically. The drone never has once recognized the horizontal 360 motion. I have no clue what the issue could be... any help appreciated! Thanks!

Reactions: errorborn
Recently purchased a Mavic Pro and the compass does not seem to want to calibrate. Every time I go to calibrate the compass it prompts me to spin it 360 degrees with the belly facing down. Unfortunately the drone never registers the horizontal spin motion therefore resulting in the light never turning from yellow to green. I have tried multiple locations and made sure I am not wearing anything metallic either. The drone light will only turn green if I rotate the drone with it's nose face down, even when prompted to rotate the drone horizontally not vertically. The drone never has once recognized the horizontal 360 motion. I have no clue what the issue could be... any help appreciated! Thanks!
Also occasionally the drone will read off a compass error "Exit P-GPS mode". No mods and using latest firmware as well.

Also occasionally the drone will read off a compass error "Exit P-GPS mode". No mods and using latest firmware as well.
Was unit in a crash? No

What have you tried so far? Location, made sure I was not wearing any metal, firmware refresh.

What device are you using? Iphone xs max

What firmware are you running? Latest

What Go app version are you using? Dji go 4

Any modification?
No

Did you change anything or install any apps? No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? No, Sorry.

Are you sure you're doing it correctly? It's a pretty simple process -- as shown here:

Are you sure you're doing it correctly? It's a pretty simple process -- as shown here:

I am positive I am doing it correctly. The issue is the fact that the light never turns green after the horizontal rotation. The light only turns from yellow to green if I point the nose down and then spin the drone, and after I do that it then tells me to point the nose face down and spin the drone. It never recognizes the horizontal spin only the vertical spin.

Reactions: errorborn
Did you recently purchase new? If so and you cannot work out a solution here, then return it and get another. If a return is not possible, perhaps the Mavic needs to be degaussed. Many compass errors are caused by the Mavic getting too close to a strong magnetic field and magnetizing some components. Degaussing, or de-magnetizing, can fix that situation.

Did you recently purchase new? If so and you cannot work out a solution here, then return it and get another. If a return is not possible, perhaps the Mavic needs to be degaussed. Many compass errors are caused by the Mavic getting too close to a strong magnetic field and magnetizing some components. Degaussing, or de-magnetizing, can fix that situation.
No, not purchased new. I was looking into degaussing or just replacing both compass compenents as a whole.

It was just odd to me that only the horizontal spin remains unregistered when attempting to calibrate the compass. During calibration there are no errors, if I spin the drone horizontally nothing happens, the app remains on the "Spin drone horizontally" screen unless I point the nose face down and spin the drone. After pointing the nose down the app states that the calibration has been a success, even though obviously it was not since it did not register the horizontal spin.

Link to guy with same exact issue as me, he explains it a bit better.

Are you wearing an iWatch or an Android watch in the same hand you are holding the drone? I had a couple of issues like you are experiencing and I took off my Apple Watch, put it in the car then it all worked perfectly. Some times rebar in concrete can give me fits too.

Are you wearing an iWatch or an Android watch in the same hand you are holding the drone? I had a couple of issues like you are experiencing and I took off my Apple Watch, put it in the car then it all worked perfectly. Some times rebar in concrete can give me fits too.
Nope no watch and I am I have tried in multiple fields.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett