DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Controller issue

Irely

Reactions
Through my stupidity I damaged the micro charging port on my Mavic Pro Controller, the female port needing replacing. Apart from being unable to charge the controller, it works fine. I've emailed a number of drone repair shops for quotes with varying responses from $105 (Australian dollars) to 'its cheaper to just buy a new controller'. To me it doesnt look like a big or expensive job and probably one that any electronic repair person could do. Can anyone give me some guidance here please. I live in Queensland Australia.

I may be wrong but I think the USB at the bottom will charge the mobile phone from the controller battery but not the other way around.
You are right, I did some researches and the bottom usb port is not able to be used for charging.
The micro usb is not easy to fix though, sorry that I cant help.
Btw can I ask how did you destroy the charging port?

Ive had the drone / controller for quite a while. Damage caused by me obviously trying to put the micro lead in the incorrect qay. Ive since read that the port is fairly delicate. Wont happen again!

Ive had the drone / controller for quite a while. Damage caused by me obviously trying to put the micro lead in the incorrect qay. Ive since read that the port is fairly delicate. Wont happen again!
That is what I expected, I did the same a week ago. Still new here. Luckily (and hopefully) mine is still fine.

Through my stupidity I damaged the micro charging port on my Mavic Pro Controller, the female port needing replacing. Apart from being unable to charge the controller, it works fine. I've emailed a number of drone repair shops for quotes with varying responses from $105 (Australian dollars) to 'its cheaper to just buy a new controller'. To me it doesnt look like a big or expensive job and probably one that any electronic repair person could do. Can anyone give me some guidance here please. I live in Queensland Australia.
Hi I came across a you tube video showing in detail how to repair the charging micro USB port on the mavic pro controller. Hope this helps !!

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Hi Irely
I'm going to Australia in October for a wedding but will be visiting many other area's.
I was wondering if to take my Mavic or not, I don't know anything about Ozzy Drone law and wondered if they are drone friendly, I live in the UK and find our law on drones pretty repressive to the point of thinking of hanging up my RC, sad I know.
Anyway I hope you find the video useful I've saved it on my favourites just in case.
Dillon UK

I looked at the repair video. It is pretty much as I expected: the controller is held together with plastic "snap fit" and very few screws. This makes it difficult (although not impossible) to disassemble without breaking off one or two snaps, especially if you're doing it for the first time. Not a big deal because you can use a little glue in place of the snaps when you reassemble.

The actual micro-USB looks to be flow soldered, which is beyond most people's ability to remove and replace. I have a solder station and dedicated de-soldering station, and still don't fee qualified to do SMD rework, so I wouldn't be able to replace just the connector. However, the video does show that you can get a complete circuit board part which contains the micro-USB to replace the damaged part. So, it is a module swap. For someone who has done this exact repair a few times, they can probably do it all in under fifteen minutes (the length of the video). For someone like me, that has done hundreds of similar repairs, but never opened this particular controller, it would take at least two hours, and I'd probably break a few things along the way. So, I would look for one of the repair people (there are two recommendations in this thread, and dozens more elsewhere in this forum) who specializes in this and compare their price to the price of a new controller.

I recently paid over $300 to get a Firewire/1394 connector replaced on a 2005 camcorder that still produces better video than more modern cameras (great glass). There is only one shop in the USA who will do this, and they charge accordingly. This was less than 10% of the price I paid for the camcorder, so it seemed like a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
Go to a computer PC repair shop... They'll only charge you a few bucks...

Hi Irely
I'm going to Australia in October for a wedding but will be visiting many other area's.
I was wondering if to take my Mavic or not, I don't know anything about Ozzy Drone law and wondered if they are drone friendly, I live in the UK and find our law on drones pretty repressive to the point of thinking of hanging up my RC, sad I know.
Anyway I hope you find the video useful I've saved it on my favourites just in case.
Dillon UK
Mate Im not an I.T. guru so if you got this message previously, disregard. Appreciate your feedback on my issue. Hope you have a good time in Aus. If you're around the Qld / Nsw border area give me a call. Aus is cruisy on drone laws, like most things. Id bring it . I live on 250 acres in the middle of no-where, beautiful country, and dont have any of the hassles many do.

I looked at the repair video. It is pretty much as I expected: the controller is held together with plastic "snap fit" and very few screws. This makes it difficult (although not impossible) to disassemble without breaking off one or two snaps, especially if you're doing it for the first time. Not a big deal because you can use a little glue in place of the snaps when you reassemble.

The actual micro-USB looks to be flow soldered, which is beyond most people's ability to remove and replace. I have a solder station and dedicated de-soldering station, and still don't fee qualified to do SMD rework, so I wouldn't be able to replace just the connector. However, the video does show that you can get a complete circuit board part which contains the micro-USB to replace the damaged part. So, it is a module swap. For someone who has done this exact repair a few times, they can probably do it all in under fifteen minutes (the length of the video). For someone like me, that has done hundreds of similar repairs, but never opened this particular controller, it would take at least two hours, and I'd probably break a few things along the way. So, I would look for one of the repair people (there are two recommendations in this thread, and dozens more elsewhere in this forum) who specializes in this and compare their price to the price of a new controller.

I recently paid over $300 to get a Firewire/1394 connector replaced on a 2005 camcorder that still produces better video than more modern cameras (great glass). There is only one shop in the USA who will do this, and they charge accordingly. This was less than 10% of the price I paid for the camcorder, so it seemed like a pretty good deal.
Thanks heaps. Will check it out. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hi I came across a you tube video showing in detail how to repair the charging micro USB port on the mavic pro controller. Hope this helps !!

Thanks heaps. Will check it out!

you are too far away otherwise I would fix it for you at no cost you only have to buy the door and replace the old one just over one hour of work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech