DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Remote Controller "Stick mode" do fly in? Jan 2018 Poll.

• Total voters

gshocked

Reactions
Hi all,

I’ve had my Mavic Pro now for a few weeks and recently started flying it in Stick Mode 3. I found this easier in my mind for some reason. If your not sure what I mean, have a look at this video below.

Can people tell me what they use (and why?) and which one I probably should stick with?

Thanks!

If you’re right handed, Mode 2 is standard. It puts all the directional controls on the right stick, with the left stick for altitude and yaw.

If you’re left handed, Mode 1 is more common, which I believe just swaps the sticks from the above description.

Mode 2 is similar to full scale helicopters controls where the right hand controls the cyclic, and the left hand controls the collective pitch. I've used mode 2 since my first heli 20 years ago.

Different countries use different modes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManfredH
Mode 2 is similar to full scale helicopters controls where the right hand controls the cyclic, and the left hand controls the collective pitch. I've used mode 2 since my first heli 20 years ago.

Thanks! So far my poll has Mode 2 in the lead. I keep seeing on YouTube that Mode 3 is a "gamer" thing...
I just want to use something that is "standard" if that's a thing.

Thanks! So far my poll has Mode 2 in the lead. I keep seeing on YouTube that Mode 3 is a "gamer" thing...
I just want to use something that is "standard" if that's a thing.

"Standard" to me is how the Mavic came out of the box. Every single Mavic that I have bought new or refurbed has the controller set to mode 2, but, then, I am in the USA.

It depends on how you have begun your flight carreer. If you are used to a mode over some time it will get hard-coded into your brain and it is quite difficult to change that later.
I have learned flying r/c helicopters in 1975 and as a left handed I choosed mode 3, because stick assignment is similar to a real helicopter. Swash plate is on one stick, collective pitch and yaw on the other stick. Mixing collective and roll or pitch and yaw as is with modes 1 and 4 is not natural.

If I would be a beginner today, I would try to learn and keep mode 2, which is the standard stick assignment as used for manned helicopters, too.

Reactions: Former Member
It depends on how you have begun your flight carreer. If you are used to a mode over some time it will get hard-coded into your brain and it is quite difficult to change that later.
I have learned flying r/c helicopters in 1975 and as a left handed I choosed mode 3, because stick assignment is similar to a real helicopter. Swash plate is on one stick, collective pitch and yaw on the other stick. Mixing collective and roll or pitch and yaw as is with modes 1 and 4 is not natural.

If I would be a beginner today, I would try to learn and keep mode 2, which is the standard stick assignment as used for manned helicopters, too.

Schluter?

Cheers, thanks for your feedback!

As stated above, once you get this memorized, you will react automatically in tight situations, so best to pick one and stay with it.

Mode 2 has been industry standard for decades. This means that the vast majority of equipment you use in the future will, by default, be set to mode 2.

If you play console games , ie. XBOX, a lot of games use the left stick for forward and back movements. When I fly my mavic, I have mode 2 setup, I have to really "Think" about what I want to do , and use the right stick for forward. I've had a few surprises when I've forgotten.

Reactions: gshocked
I use custom stick mode on all of my drones. My left stick left/right pitch and elevation. Right stick yaw left/right and forward/back. The reason for this is I’m paralyzed on the left arm and have little use of the hand also. The right controls imo, the most used and important functions. To each their own and thankful we can customize them[emoji106]

If you play console games , ie. XBOX, a lot of games use the left stick for forward and back movements. When I fly my mavic, I have mode 2 setup, I have to really "Think" about what I want to do , and use the right stick for forward. I've had a few surprises when I've forgotten.
Yeah, back in the day before GPS lock, not having complete reflex action firmly memorized, would get you in a heap of **** real fast!

Reactions: Youser
I use custom stick mode on all of my drones. My left stick left/right pitch and elevation. Right stick yaw left/right and forward/back. The reason for this is I’m paralyzed on the left arm and have little use of the hand also. The right controls imo, the most used and important functions. To each their own and thankful we can customize them[emoji106]
Absolutely, and glad folks such as yourself have that option. Keep flying!

Reactions: zero1981
[QUOTE="GerdS, post: 388845, member: 2392"mode 2, which is the standard stick assignment as used for manned helicopters, too.[/QUOTE]Not really, as for collective pitch you *pull* the lever left of your seat. That's why I use Custom Mode and switch the directions of up and down (was flying scale helicopters in the past, too).

short time lurker, first post...

very much this. in my country (Australia) anything other than mode 1 is rare, for fixed wing, heli or multi. I can think of one self-taught person who flies mode 2, and I was taught to fly fixed wing by one older gent who flew mode 1 with the throttle reversed!

when I got my Mavic Pro recently, I have found it difficult to be as precise as I would like in mode 1, because the majority of my flying is with the left stick (forward/back and rudder), due to there effectively being no true "roll" capability as I am used to with fixed-wing. the result is I tend to inadvertently couple control movements.

I'm going out this afternoon to give mode 3 a try, it seems to make a lot more sense to my brain (scary thought) to have the primary flight controls on separate sticks. the gaming-style lateral strafe of the cyclic roll input just aligns itself more with what the rudder normally does on a fixed wing aircraft for me.

[edit] definitely different, but promising. didn't stick the aircraft into a tree, which is a good thing. to a degree the problem of control coupling has now just been moved to directional vs lateral pitch, but I'll persevere with it for a few hours and see what I prefer. luckily the change is moderately intuitive.

Last edited:
I use mode 2, Personally i would stick with what is common in my part of the world, especially if i am/was in a position to use someone else rc device. Basic rule is if you going against the norms, you are certain to stand out, in this case, crash/destroy someone else device if they allow you to give it a go, as well as them damaging yours if the situation is reversed .Hahahaha.

If you ever plan to fly rc heli, choose mode 2, period. I use mode 3 because when I started flying rc heli many many years ago, I had a mode 1 control that needed to be modified physically, it was much easier to modify into mode 3.

I have regretted it ever since... until controller could be programmed into whatever mode you want (you would still need to swap the spring), I was stuck with my own remote controller.

sorry, but mode 2 is just... wrong. :) must be something to do with driving on the other side of the road?

my wife bought me a little toy micro for last christmas with a controller set for M2 and it was impossible for me to fly. ironic since M3 is the opposite of M2, but I really don't consider either to really apply to M1 with no real aileron roll function outside acro mode.

Crap - I have always used Mode 2 since that was the default, but now that you mention playing FPS games and how their controls work, I am doubting myself. Going to have to see if that feels more natural to me. I suspect it might - especially for flying watching the screen instead of the device. Or I may end up completely confused and paralyzed with doubt :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb