DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Remote Controller "Stick mode" do fly in? Jan 2018 Poll.

• Total voters
I know this thread is a little old but I came across it when trying to change modes. I fly RC scale aircraft and have for many years. Mode 2 is left stick forward, throttle up, left stick right rudder right. Right stick back, nose up, right stick right aircraft aileron turns the air craft right. I could not figure out why I was having so much trouble getting smooth turns and mixing up climb with throttle. Then I realized Mode 2 on the Air is not mode 2 by US RC standards.

I am sure there will be a bunch who jump in here to put their two cents in but I have figured that I have to switch to mode 1 or mode 3 to get a true mode 2.

I know this thread is a little old but I came across it when trying to change modes. I fly RC scale aircraft and have for many years. Mode 2 is left stick forward, throttle up, left stick right rudder right. Right stick back, nose up, right stick right aircraft aileron turns the air craft right. I could not figure out why I was having so much trouble getting smooth turns and mixing up climb with throttle. Then I realized Mode 2 on the Air is not mode 2 by US RC standards.

I am sure there will be a bunch who jump in here to put their two cents in but I have figured that I have to switch to mode 1 or mode 3 to get a true mode 2.
So, how is mode 2 on the Air different than mode 2 on the Mavic, which is standard mode 2.

At least with mine left stick forward is climb. With RC right stick forward is elevator and climb. I don’t know about the Pro. Without going into a long attempt to lay out each stick movement you migh pull up the Air manual.

And you said Mavic. The Air is a Mavic so I’m confused as to what you mean.
By Mavic, I meant Mavic Pro. So, does the Air uses the same controller as the Pro?

Anyway, the mode 2 on my Mavic Pro is exactly like my Spectrum mode 2 on my large quad and Octocopter, as well as my Futaba with all my sailplanes, and exactly as you described on all your previous RC.

I had to pull up a Pro to see what the controller looks like and the best I can guess is that the Air and Pro are pretty much the same stick set up.

My Futaba 10CAP that I use for all 9 of my RC aircraft is in mode 2 which is standard for the US. Not everyone uses 2 in the US but most do.
The left stick is throttle in up/down movement. The engine (I use gas) throttles up when the stick is pushed up and throttles down when pulled back. Left and right movement control the rudder, yawing the aircraft left or right. On the Air that stick in the up position causes the Air to climb and in the down position to descend. With this in mind the controls on the Air in just those movements are not true Mode 2 for fixed wing RC aircraft. In retrospect I guess you could say it is throttling it up and down in those movements.

Example: If I push the left stick forward on my Spitfire the engine accelerates and as I move down the runway I pull the right stick back, the plane climbs off of the runway. To bank the plane left in the pattern I move the right stick to the left (left aileron) and the left stick (rudder) slightly left to give the plane a controlled turn with rudder. If your Mavic is sitting on the ground you give it left stick to power up and to climb-no right stick is used. If you give it back right stick during this operation the Mavic will likely flip backwards into the ground.

Bottom line to all of this (sorry) is that trying to fly the Mavic (whatever) in true mode 2 is not possible they way it is set up. I either need to change the controller or try to get my flying brain to work for two different controllers and two different types of aircraft.

I catch myself pulling back on the right stick to make the Air climb when I really need to pull back on the left stick. Perhaps had I flown helos instead of fixed wing it would be closer as that may actually be mode 2 for helos but it is not for fixed and is confusing, for me at least.

I had to edit this because as I wrote it I began to understand the similarities but there are still enough differences to make it confusing, to me at least, and I can be confused easily sometimes :)

Last edited:
I had to pull up a Pro to see what the controller looks like and the best I can guess is that the Air and Pro are pretty much the same stick set up.

My Futaba 10CAP that I use for all 9 of my RC aircraft is in mode 2 which is standard for the US. Not everyone uses 2 in the US but most do.
The left stick is throttle in up/down movement. The engine (I use gas) throttles up when the stick is pushed up and throttles down when pulled back. Left and right movement control the rudder, yawing the aircraft left or right. On the Air that stick in the up position causes the Air to climb and in the down position to descend. With this in mind the controls on the Air in just those movements are not true Mode 2 for fixed wing RC aircraft. In retrospect I guess you could say it is throttling it up and down in those movements.

Example: If I push the left stick forward on my Spitfire the engine accelerates and as I move down the runway I pull the right stick back, the plane climbs off of the runway. To bank the plane left in the pattern I move the right stick to the left (left aileron) and the left stick (rudder) slightly left to give the plane a controlled turn with rudder. If your Mavic is sitting on the ground you give it left stick to power up and to climb-no right stick is used. If you give it back right stick during this operation the Mavic will likely flip backwards into the ground.

Bottom line to all of this (sorry) is that trying to fly the Mavic (whatever) in true mode 2 is not possible they way it is set up. I either need to change the controller or try to get my flying brain to work for two different controllers and two different types of aircraft.

I catch myself pulling back on the right stick to make the Air climb when I really need to pull back on the left stick. Perhaps had I flown helos instead of fixed wing it would be closer as that may actually be mode 2 for helos but it is not for fixed and is confusing, for me at least.

I had to edit this because as I wrote it I began to understand the similarities but there are still enough differences to make it confusing, to me at least, and I can be confused easily sometimes :)
The problem I see you are having, is between fixed wing and helo, as you stated.

With fixed wing, left stick back (nose up) causes the aircraft to climb because of its forward momentum and increased angle of attack, relative to level.

With a helo, it does exactly the same thing (pitches the nose up) but because the thrust is directed downward, pitching the nose up, results in a foreword thrust vector, causing the craft to move backwards.

This is indeed mode 2 for rotor wing aircraft. Your problem is getting used to fixed/vs rotor wing aircraft.

Stick with it for a while, and like flying fixed wing it will begin to become second nature. But the mode 2 arrangement will make sense eventually, and changing it might do more harm than good in the long run.

and changing it might do more harm than good in the long run.

I think that is the conclusion that I am coming to. I did make a mistake in my earlier response and tried to correct it and the site kept telling me I was spamming :) Right stick back is climb.

I have been flying fixed wing, full size and RC for 45+ years so old habits will be tough to break but time will tell. thanks for helping.

I never tried helo. 40,000 parts flying in formation. Beating the air into submission.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Hey guys!
I'm a beginner pilot. For some reason I find it much more intuitive to have forward/back/left/right on right stick and up/down and pitch on left stick. The right stick is like a steering wheel then.
Any thoughts on this? Just cannot catch the logic using Mode 2...

Mode 2 all the way here. If I were appointed as World RC Dictator and Maximum Leader for just one day, my first decree would be for all RC and drone pilots worldwide, to provide proof that they fly under a strict Mode 2 regime, lest they face summary deportation to the Gulag after a brief kangaroo trial, for a few years of breaking rocks amid a frozen quarry, or until such time as signed undertakings are submitted that no further dastardly crimes of that nature will ever be contemplated, going forward.

Reactions: AlexBeyd
Mode 2 all the way here. If I were appointed as World RC Dictator and Maximum Leader for just one day, my first decree would be for all RC and drone pilots worldwide, to provide proof that they fly under a strict Mode 2 regime, lest they face summary deportation to the Gulag after a brief kangaroo trial, for a few years of breaking rocks amid a frozen quarry, or until such time as signed undertakings are submitted that no further dastardly crimes of that nature will ever be contemplated, going forward.
Why? Logical reason?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum