DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Crashed and Repair

Helmar47

Reactions
Boy, I might be in the wrong place.
Maybe you can direct me please.

I was flying my Mavic Pro drone and trying to take pictures for a friend.
Long story made short, I was flying sideways recording a movie of the back fence line of his property.
I was moving pretty fast, sideways and plowed into a fir tree and it hit hard. I seen the legs fly away, battery flew away into some brush. The drone dropped streight down the tree trunk and bounced off a rock. I would say I was going at least 10 to 15mph and Bam!
The camera gimbal place broke and the camera was just dangling by its ribbon cable.

Found the parts, replaced the gimbal plate, another battery and the extension leg kit.
Watched a YouTube video on how to replace the plate, all went well.

Put the battery back in, turned it all on. All looked ok, camera was fine so I thought I was good to go. There was an upgrade (sorry, forgot what it said) I did and then launched.
Normally I had it to go up about 12 feet and hover. It just wanted to keep going…My first Uh Oh….
Then I get the Warning message on the controller, Check App, then Sys Warrning.

Then on the DJI app on a iPhone, I got Calibration Error, Hovering & Landing Error, Protection? Fail.

I can’t find out for sure but are the bottom sensors part of the main circuit board ?
Not able to find any YouTube videos for just the Mavic Pro (all the other, just not the pro) on how to get to the lower sensors or its cables.
Does anyone know of such a video for those lower sensors? If no video maybe the steps needed to get the lower sensors ?

Thank you and if I am not in the right area or where would you suggest I go for more information on just the Mavic Pro.
Helmar

Reactions: RodPad
can’t find out for sure but are the bottom sensors part of the main circuit board ?
looks to be
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
But, given the age of this I think you could spend more on parts than it would cost to buy a working second hand one then use/keep the old one for parts. I like DIY repairs but.....
Basically DIY repairs oquite a lot of this stuff will be guess, pay, pray its the correct part and the cost of wrong guess can quickly mount up.

Reactions: Cafguy and RodPad
looks to be
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
But, given the age of this I think you could spend more on parts than it would cost to buy a working second hand one then use/keep the old one for parts. I like DIY repairs but.....
Basically DIY repairs oquite a lot of this stuff will be guess, pay, pray its the correct part and the cost of wrong guess can quickly mount up.
Thank you for such a quick reply !!.
I was not able to find that video on my own so thanks for that and after watching, I pulled the bottom, looked and looked for anything knocked loose in the crash but, the only thing I seen was the one ribbon cable that might not have been 100% connection. I removed it, white pencil eraser cleaned the contact and put it back in. I disconnected and reconnected everything. I seen no IC’s knocked off or loose, no cracks, everything look as new.
Now ready to take it out and just launch to see of those sensors might just start working. Not a real good chance.

I agree with you on hunting a backup drone. I grew up in my dad’s wrecking yard and then once I got my own place to do a park and hide, I had a complete car (1991 Geo Tracker) stashed for parts. Having another drone stashed would be nice.
Can’t afford a newer one and honestly, don’t use it enough to even know how to do all the functions it was capable of doing.

Thanks again !!!

UPDATE. Took her out and tested it. She was showing the altitude and when I brought her back down, she stoped right about 2 feed from the landing pad. Took her back up in front of me facing away, put my hand under her and she raised up 2 feet from my hand and stopped.
I got a SD warning so going to dig around for another SD card (need to look up that error never the less) and back to Sys Warning than Calibration something.
So, gaining and will figure out how to re-calibrate.
The Hovering and landing error is gone so, I am gaining.
Off to learn how to re-calibrate things.. :)

Last edited:
Honestly You need to look very carefully ( a Magnifying glass works well ) Every connection on the drone even if they look connected they most likely are not after a crash. Some of these connections require that you remove the silicone paste from the connections before you can remove and reattach them. Do that now and each one. Then replace the ELECTRONICS silicone (never use the hardware store chaulk). also after a crash -Purchase new ribbon cables. It will save you some hair pulling in the end!

Honestly You need to look very carefully ( a Magnifying glass works well ) Every connection on the drone even if they look connected they most likely are not after a crash. Some of these connections require that you remove the silicone paste from the connections before you can remove and reattach them. Do that now and each one. Then replace the ELECTRONICS silicone (never use the hardware store chaulk). also after a crash -Purchase new ribbon cables. It will save you some hair pulling in the end!
Thank you and Yes, I removed all the connections and reconnected them. In the upper post, I mentioned I seen one ribbon cable that did not look 100%. It may have been cocked just a tad, That is the one I had to unlock to get it out of the connector. I cleaned it, put it back in, locked it and it did have a tad bit of rubber glue as a helper as so it did not get knocked out. The glue was on just one side and the side that had no glue, was the part that did not look right. After reconnection, both sides got a small amount of glue to hold it into place.
Yes, I have the head band magnifying system with several powers. I did use that and spend plenty of time checking for any board damage.
After testing, I now have them working. I can bring her down, put my hand under the drone and she would rise up 2 feet and hold. I was able to see the altitude so all that is working. Now I seen a Sys Warning and SD warning and also seen a calibration issue.

I like your idea about replacing the ribbon cables.

In my RC, cars, trucks, planes, always had a fishing tackle box full spair parts :)

Reactions: Cafguy and RodPad
@Helmar47
Wow, if you are actually 76?
My Vision went to crap at 50!

I always past the eye thing multiple eye guys, etc.
It doesn't matter if I'm under the influence or over. :rolleyes:Thumbswayup
I drive better under. :)

Your post are very informative!.

So Neighbor
Run my zip. 97031

Rod ..

@Helmar47
Wow, if you are actually 76?
My Vision went to crap at 50!

I always past the eye thing multiple eye guys, etc.
It doesn't matter if I'm under the influence or over. :rolleyes:Thumbswayup
I drive better under. :)

Your post are very informative!.

So Neighbor
Run my zip. 97031

Rod ..
Hi Rod, Yes, next month 77. Glass’s of course and then the magnifier has many different attachable powers. It’s the only way I can still see things. So, no shakes so steady hands for the most part.
I have to say that I have had to follow the dotted line home, some time ago that is.
Kind of windy up your way if I remember correctly.
I am down south 40 miles from the coast 97487

• Love
both sides got a small amount of ? glue to hold it into place. ?
Make sure that you only use something like this or the connections could vibrate loose in flight, AND Household Chaulk will eat the etching on the board over time..

1722745521561.jpeg Find it on Amazon.

Anytime you get warnings that affect flight, do an IMU calibration..often fixes what's wrong quickly. Doesn't cost anything either

Boy, I might be in the wrong place.
Maybe you can direct me please.

I was flying my Mavic Pro drone and trying to take pictures for a friend.
Long story made short, I was flying sideways recording a movie of the back fence line of his property.
I was moving pretty fast, sideways and plowed into a fir tree and it hit hard. I seen the legs fly away, battery flew away into some brush. The drone dropped streight down the tree trunk and bounced off a rock. I would say I was going at least 10 to 15mph and Bam!
The camera gimbal place broke and the camera was just dangling by its ribbon cable.

Found the parts, replaced the gimbal plate, another battery and the extension leg kit.
Watched a YouTube video on how to replace the plate, all went well.

Put the battery back in, turned it all on. All looked ok, camera was fine so I thought I was good to go. There was an upgrade (sorry, forgot what it said) I did and then launched.
Normally I had it to go up about 12 feet and hover. It just wanted to keep going…My first Uh Oh….
Then I get the Warning message on the controller, Check App, then Sys Warrning.

Then on the DJI app on a iPhone, I got Calibration Error, Hovering & Landing Error, Protection? Fail.

I can’t find out for sure but are the bottom sensors part of the main circuit board ?
Not able to find any YouTube videos for just the Mavic Pro (all the other, just not the pro) on how to get to the lower sensors or its cables.
Does anyone know of such a video for those lower sensors? If no video maybe the steps needed to get the lower sensors ?

Thank you and if I am not in the right area or where would you suggest I go for more information on just the Mavic Pro.
Helmar
Is time to upgrade to a Mavic 3Pro, great experience on getting pats and installing them. The tech in you guide you to an unsuccessful repair. So b it, you can buy a:

1-Mini 4 Pro or wait for the mini 5 Pro
2- Mavic 3 Pro
3- A Mavic 3S
4- Take your chance on a Preown Mavic 2Pro with old batteries and no support.
5- Stop flying drones stick with a regular camera or your iPhone.
Good luck my drone crashes friend

Make sure that you only use something like this or the connections could vibrate loose in flight, AND Household Chaulk will eat the etching on the board over time..

View attachment 176745 Find it on Amazon.
Thank you. Always looking to find a better product.
Due to I used to do component level repair, we have always used the GOOP which on the ham radio upgrades, that was also non-corrosive. Amazon huh :) Thanks

Is time to upgrade to a Mavic 3Pro, great experience on getting pats and installing them. The tech in you guide you to an unsuccessful repair. So b it, you can buy a:

1-Mini 4 Pro or wait for the mini 5 Pro
2- Mavic 3 Pro
3- A Mavic 3S
4- Take your chance on a Preown Mavic 2Pro with old batteries and no support.
5- Stop flying drones stick with a regular camera or your iPhone.
Good luck my drone crashes friend
Several reasons for not upgrading and wanting to fix what I have.
Limited Social Security.
The amount of times I used it. Never really had the health or time to really work all the function. (76 years old).

I still get the Sys Warning and found were some fellow had created a DJI Go 4 manual and downloaded that.
Thanks to the fellow that said, were it normally said to Go Fly in green, errors are in Red.
I was able to get into the DJI GO 4 software and see the reported errors.
A statement I seen reading some place said that after a crash, you more than likely need to Re calibrate.
I think I am still gaining.

Oh yeah, I got a memory chip error, but after replacing and formatting another one I had, no more Chip error.

Just about everything I was reading or videos about Calibrations was using the DJI Assistant 2.
I ran into a problem trying to get that to work both on my iPhone, iPad Pro and even on my new laptop that is running windows 11.
The software last update was back in 2017, stated it would not work (forgot the software version of OS) past an early version of the IOS for the IPad and iPhone. Well, It also gets hung up with windows 11.
So, going after the Manual way to calibrate both the front and bottom cameras, Which, do work.

Like I stated before, hovering, I can put my hand Under the drone and she automatically goes up about 2 feet above my hand.. Now with landing, I would try to land her and she would come down to about the 2 feet and I had to hold the stick for several seconds before it would land. In flight, always shows me how many feet off the ground she it.

I am gaining :) Thanks everyone for your help.
Helmar

Nice. This was not in the manual I have. This one is Ver 2.0 whereas mine is Ver 1.2
The new one talks about calibrating the sensors were the 1.2 ver only talks briefly about it.
Thank You !!
Yeah DJI, or perhaps google, have a strange policy.
If you google "DJI xyz manual" the first thing that often turns up is, funnily enough, DJI xyz manual, but that link takes you to the first version of the manual or an early version.
If you want the latest version you have to scroll further down the results page to "DJI xyz downloads" and there you can gernerally find the most recent verision.

Like I stated before, hovering, I can put my hand Under the drone and she automatically goes up about 2 feet above my hand.. Now with landing, I would try to land her and she would come down to about the 2 feet and I had to hold the stick for several seconds before it would land. In flight, always shows me how many feet off the ground she it.
That's the landing protection system working and what you describe is pefectly normal.

Anytime you get warnings that affect flight, do an IMU calibration..often fixes what's wrong quickly. Doesn't cost anything either
Well, seems that this might be more than I can handle. Not worth trying to sent it in for repair, Even if I could.

Again, Crashed hard into a tree trunk 30 feet up.
System Warning, Check App.
Checking the warning reports, found the bottom sensor was having an issue.

Pulled it apart and did find one ribbon cable that did not look right, removed, cleaned and reinstall.
Now I found she was at least able to sense the ground. Put my hand under her, she would rise up.
Seems to be working. When calibrating, a window on the DJI Go 4 opens up and I think it’s the bottom camera view? Could be wrong, might have to go back and check that camera view again.

Updated the manual from Ver 1.2 to 2.0, that helped.
Tried to get the DJI Assistant 2 app, will not run on my iPhone or iPad Pro.
Downloaded the Assistant to my laptop with window 11, seems that it kind of worked but not sure it it was the drone hanging up or the computer software. I abandoned the Assistant 2 program.

Followed the instructions on the DJI Go app to reset the sensors.
Loosing ground :-(
Now the error I get shows Both sensors and failing and now, the Gimbal for the camera shows a error (thats new) Now once the drone is turned on, it will rotate all the way up and down and will hit the chassis. Never heard that happen to it that I can remember but also, the Warning was, “Gimbal motor load too large, Please check if the gimbal clamp has been removed)

I also noticed that a bunch of my settings (altitude for one) shows back to 0 ?? After the calibration Failed. The DJI Go 4 app states it’s too close to metal. Moved it even inside on a level wooden table, same thing, something screwy.

My question now is, because I am not able to search it out on the internet, is what all settings have to be setup again after a factory reset.??

Sorry about being such a pest but it’s hard for me to give up on things like this.
Helmar

Re the assistant 2, you need to download the correct version, I believe it to be the one on the following page.

I haven't calibrated the vision sensors of a mavic pro but I have calibrated the vision sensors of a mavic 2 and, with a laptop, that was quite tricky.
I ended up having to open the screen as far as it would go and then prop the laptop body so that the screen was more or less vertical.

Re the assistant 2, you need to download the correct version, I believe it to be the one on the following page.

I haven't calibrated the vision sensors of a mavic pro but I have calibrated the vision sensors of a mavic 2 and, with a laptop, that was quite tricky.
I ended up having to open the screen as far as it would go and then prop the laptop body so that the screen was more or less vertical.
I will download the assistant 2 from this site and having the screen vertical is something I may have not done.

Question about your laptop. What version of OS are did you use, or did you do this some time ago ?
I am trying to make this happen with Windoze 11.

Going after it again, thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cam3n