DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro crashed while having issue with holding position, damaged propeller, maybe drone

• Thread starter Deleted member 45347
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45347

Hi,
i've been taking some shots at the local race track yesterday and i got some gimbal shake issues and the drone had issue picking up GPS.
I've mounted low noise props yesterday to get a bit more battery life and smoother shots.
Today, i took off when there was no wind. I ascended up to like 40m (120ft) and everything was fine, so i began descending. The drone was moving quite a bit to the sides, so i made sure i land at my yard on the concrete. At 10m i started seeing some weird drifting i have never experienced with the stock props. When i was at approx. 2m (6ft), i was checking the gimbal shake issue, when suddenly, the drone started coming away from me and hit the curtain + a plant nearby growing in a wooden construction. The engines have stopped and the drone slid across the curtain and then fell onto the ground belly up and the battery came out as well. The drone seems to be fine, i fired it up propless inside the house to check the gimbal, it gave no errors in the app/on the controller.
Is there a big chance i broke something? What is a common thing to break on the Mavics?
3 of the props are lightly scratched, one is heavily damaged though. Is it still good to fly or should i buy a new set of 2 props?
Thanks
(and yes i am an autist for not checking the wind forecast)

Attachments

• IMG_20180514_175130.jpg
    IMG_20180514_175130.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
Check to see that each motor turns freely without any type of binding. A heavily damaged prop can cause interior damage to the motor and not let the motor turn up to the same RPM as the others. If ti flies straight, gives no error messages and everything calibrates, then consider yourself

If any prop has a nick in it, you're better off replacing it.

Check to see that each motor turns freely without any type of binding. A heavily damaged prop can cause interior damage to the motor and not let the motor turn up to the same RPM as the others. If ti flies straight, gives no error messages and everything calibrates, then consider yourself

If any prop has a nick in it, you're better off replacing it.
All motors turn fine, i tried idling at one place with both stock and the low noise ones including the scratched one. Everything seems fine. I'll try to fly some more to check it. The damaged prop is has scratched off color on the tips, i am not sure if it makes it improperly balanced or something.
I also tried controlling the drone from the place it crashed at and controller gave me strong interference warning, so i think that was the issue. Don't you know if there is some kinda wrap like dbrand so i could hide the scratched part? Thanks a lot

The damaged prop is has scratched off color on the tips, i am not sure if it makes it improperly balanced or something.

I dont think that would cause the blades to become off balance, but you can try and see if you get more vibration with it. If so, just toss it.

I also tried controlling the drone from the place it crashed at and controller gave me strong interference warning, so i think that was the issue.

You might want to avoid that spot if you are getting that warning. Navigation system errors are one of the main reasons for crashes.

Don't you know if there is some kinda wrap like dbrand so i could hide the scratched part?

Yes there are many wraps out there depending on your budget. Most of them will hide sratches to the body, battery, and arms.

Last edited:
I dont think that would cause the blades to become off balance, but you can try and see if you get more vibration with it. If so, just toss it.

I also tried controlling the drone from the place it crashed at and controller gave me strong interference warning, so i think that was the issue.

You might want to avoid that spot if you are getting that warning. Navigation system errors are one of the main reasons for crashes.

Don't you know if there is some kinda wrap like dbrand so i could hide the scratched part?

Yes there are many wraps out there depending on your budget. Most of them will hide sratches to the body, battery, and arms.
Thank you very much, you helped me a lot.
I'll be more careful next time xP

Thank you very much, you helped me a lot.
I'll be more careful next time xP
HELLO just a thought, you spent a grand or better for that hi tec machine is it worth it to even remotely consider using a damaged prop? they are cheap and it wont take much to give them MICRO cracks, you may just save your self a huge problem by replacing them. happy flying.

HELLO just a thought, you spent a grand or better for that hi tec machine is it worth it to even remotely consider using a damaged prop? they are cheap and it wont take much to give them MICRO cracks, you may just save your self a huge problem by replacing them. happy flying.
Thanks, i have RMA'd those props. I also sent a repair case to DJI about bad set of props that caused my drone to vibrate and made it's stability worse, possibly leading to crash that happened few minutes afterwards. I sat down and reconstructed the whole flight in my head to know each detail. I think that either an unbalanced prop from the 8331 set or random radio interference have caused the crash. I also found out one of the rear arms' notch is bent, making one of the arms slightly differently positioned than the other one. I'll get both top cover and the arm replaced, should be around 25 euros in parts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wiz4rd