DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro external vehicle antenna?

cderoche

Reactions
Guys, searched for this topic and couldn't find it, but since there are multiple after market external antenna mods available for the Mavic Pro these days, one even has an amp I believe. But has anyone ever tried putting an after market external antenna - one that would either magnet mount or maybe window mount, or anything outside of the vehicle, so you could fly the Mavic from the air conditioned comfort of your vehicle and have good reception? An omni-directional type for me would be best. Its very hot in the summer where I live, and since they're are already range boosting options maybe a vendor here or someone knows of this type of setup. Would like too see a range boosting type - amp or whatever, that can work with maybe a magnet mount on the roof top of my truck. More range and comfort. Anyone know of this existing yet?

Reactions: skybeamdrone
Guys, searched for this topic and couldn't find it, but since there are multiple after market external antenna mods available for the Mavic Pro these days, one even has an amp I believe. But has anyone ever tried putting an after market external antenna - one that would either magnet mount or maybe window mount, or anything outside of the vehicle, so you could fly the Mavic from the air conditioned comfort of your vehicle and have good reception? An omni-directional type for me would be best. Its very hot in the summer where I live, and since they're are already range boosting options maybe a vendor here or someone knows of this type of setup. Would like too see a range boosting type - amp or whatever, that can work with maybe a magnet mount on the roof top of my truck. More range and comfort. Anyone know of this existing yet?

I'm looking to do the same setup, have you found anything that will work?

I do understand that in some cases there is a need to stay inside. All it takes to make such a system is: Mod your remote so you can plug in SMA connectors, buy 2 amps, buy some coax cables and connectors, and a 2 amp powerbank.
Method: mount the amps flat onto any surface fitted with suction cups on the bottom of the surface or so. Screw antenna on 1 side of the amps. Attach a long enough cable to the other side and let this cable enter the vehicle via any opening (sunroof, holes?). Plug in the remote, power the amps with the powerbank.....DONE!
(off course you can also mount the amps on your remote and have only the antenna's outside)

I do understand that in some cases there is a need to stay inside. All it takes to make such a system is: Mod your remote so you can plug in SMA connectors, buy 2 amps, buy some coax cables and connectors, and a 2 amp powerbank.
Method: mount the amps flat onto any surface fitted with suction cups on the bottom of the surface or so. Screw antenna on 1 side of the amps. Attach a long enough cable to the other side and let this cable enter the vehicle via any opening (sunroof, holes?). Plug in the remote, power the amps with the powerbank.....DONE!
(off course you can also mount the amps on your remote and have only the antenna's outside)

Would you have the model number of the amps and antennas that will work with the Mavic?

Would you have the model number of the amps and antennas that will work with the Mavic?
Antenna's (basically any 2.4g omni would be ok but this one was tested "good" recently (comes with little amp):
2.4GHz 2 Watt Signal Amplifier for DJI Phantom 1 & 2 (White)
And these amps:
Sunhans SHRC24G3WP 2.4ghz 3W Amplifier
Or this one (dual, comes with ok antennas):
Sunhans Dual antenna WiFi Signal Booster 1000mW 2.4 GHz 2T2R / 300Mbps Amplifier | eBay

Cables: RG58 or RG316
Powerbank: any that delivers 2 amp/5v or 3s lipo.

Looks good, I wonder if something like this would work... it has dual band, the 5GHz for the video feed also. I'd be happy with rolling the window up on the antenna even, that way I don't have to drill holes in the truck or put a paint scratching magnet mount on it either. Then use a light plug power adapter of the correct voltage to power the amps, one less battery pack to charge and maintain.

And maybe a window mount clip thing like this, not sure if this one would work for RG58/316.

Last edited:
Looks good, I wonder if something like this would work... it has dual band, the 5GHz for the video feed also. I'd be happy with rolling the window up on the antenna even, that way I don't have to drill holes in the truck or put a paint scratching magnet mount on it either. Then use a light plug power adapter of the correct voltage to power the amps, one less battery pack to charge and maintain.

And maybe a window mount clip thing like this, not sure if this one would work for RG58/316.
You need 2.4g for the mavic (video is also 2.4g) The bigger dual amp would do the trick just fine. Even 2x the small 2w one should be enough but not sure how durable it is (and cheap!!).
The window mount has wrong connector on the antenna side. You need a pin sticking out where you mount the antenna.
Antennas have standard rp-sma male. The mount should have rp-sma female (the window thingy has sma-female=wrong).
For power just use a powerbank like the one used to charge smartphones.

Reactions: cderoche
You need 2.4g for the mavic (video is also 2.4g) The bigger dual amp would do the trick just fine. Even 2x the small 2w one should be enough but not sure how durable it is (and cheap!!).
The window mount has wrong connector on the antenna side. You need a pin sticking out where you mount the antenna.
Antennas have standard rp-sma male. The mount should have rp-sma female (the window thingy has sma-female=wrong).
For power just use a powerbank like the one used to charge smartphones.

Oh OK, I always thought the video was on 5GHz...
If I can find the correct window mount thing I will definitely consider this setup. Thank you for the help!

May have to settle for this type of mount, hard to find window clip mount rp-sma female it seems. The part I would not look forward to is taking apart that complicated remote. Saw the how to video from MAXXUAV and I see why they charge $70 to do it.

Reactions: Soft7

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d